Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meanwhile, at Grantham...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rob Shaw on Twitter

EOlAotOWsAAcPqG.jpeg

I know Grantham and it is not someone using the bay for parking as the chargers are some way from the facilities and the car park rarely fills up. I genuinely think it is someone who knows nothing about their car and will sadly find that they have not charged and probably blame a faulty charger. Hopefully someone will point out the error of their ways.

Reactions: Rooster6655
At Oxford SuC a couple of months ago, a blue i3 was using its own type 2 cable to connect the type 2 socket of the car to the upper (type 2) part of the supercharger CCS plug. The guy was adamant that the car was charging, but he can't have been getting much from the 2 signal pins and the earth, which is all the top (type 2) bit of the CCS plug provides.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
At Oxford SuC a couple of months ago, a blue i3 was using its own type 2 cable to connect the type 2 socket of the car to the upper (type 2) part of the supercharger CCS plug. The guy was adamant that the car was charging, but he can't have been getting much from the 2 signal pins and the earth, which is all the top (type 2) bit of the CCS plug provides.

It wouldn't have been electrically connected, anyway, as one of the control pins in the plug (the bit of the lead that connects to the charge point normally) is deliberately made shorter, to prevent charge leads being daisy chained together. If you look closely at this image (borrowed from Wikipedia) you can see that the right hand upper pin is shorter:

VDE-AR-E_2623-2-2-plug.jpg

I'm guessing the "Tesla button" would still work and let someone disconnect them and use the bay, should they need to? Might not even be locked anyway without the correct handshaking.

Unfortunately it wouldn't, as the unlatch function of the Tesla button relies on the connector that's fitted with the button being physically plugged it to the car. The unlatch function works by physically disconnecting the proximity pilot resistor inside the connector, whereas the port open function uses an encoded short range radio transmission.

I found the same at Birch services before Christmas saw a guy with an i3 plugged in before we went into services. Came out 20 mins later and he was still there but with car manual out and now he was using his own cable daisy chained to the supercharger. He was adamant it was going to work even though I explained the birch superchargers weren’t hooked up to the grid. He pointed to a light on the car that came on when he plugged in his type 2 cable.

He said he’d only had the car two days and was told he could plug in at the motorway services. I pointed him toward the Ecotricity chargers 20m away and wished him luck.

Though a clever solution at the time by Tesla to dual use the Type 2 port for both AC and DC on the S and X I think it’s going to confuse a few people. I read another post somewhere of an M3 user trying to use the Supercharger type 2 as it physically fits not realising they need to use the CCS lead.

We just have to do what we can to help educate new EV users.

The problem is made slightly worse by some vendors selling modified Type 2 cables that have had the front face of the plug (the bit that plugs into the charge point, rather than the car) cut down to defeat the protection that's built in from having one of the pilot pins set back so that it cannot normally make contact if two cables are daisy chained.