Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne to Mt Buller in a M3P with snowboards on roof racks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can, also give it a try with turning the climate on 30 minutes before you leave to preheat the battery. It'd be great to get some more data on that!
Will do, provided that we get let out before the season is over!

On the Tesla website Winter Driving Tips it gives two options:
  • Precondition: Open the Tesla app and tap 'Climate' > 'Turn On.'
  • Defrost: Open the Tesla app and select 'Climate' > defrost icon.
Any idea which is best (or do I use both)?

Reactions: Hairyman
The 32% is a full round trip from battery->kinetic->potential->kinetic->battery. Starting with the potential energy as we did above you cut half of that out, so if you assume the driving side is as efficient as the regeneration side, we'd expect to see sqrt(0.32) or 57% of the potential energy recovered into the battery on the regen side.

Remember too that that battery ends up heated anyway. The energy to do that is from one of our two energy sources - the potential energy released as the car's mass descends in altitude, and the battery's energy. This is the case whether or not we pre-heat it - the only additional losses from pre-heating is whatever extra heat is lost by the warmer battery between pre-heating and driving.

So the question ends up - do we lose more energy from having a warmer battery earlier, or from having to use the brakes more on the way down?
I'll test it out next time I'm up there. In terms of raw data what should I collect? I have Teslamate & Teslafi connected to the car.

Reactions: Hairyman
i find when i use the defrost option it turns climate on anyway, all the way to HI!

i have noticed the cold battery icon occasionally when using defrost too.

maybe both options will warm the battery?
Yeah I just mean, you'd only want to turn the normal climate on half an hour before, save the defrost for the last 5 minutes or so before you go.