Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes E350 Sport to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion a Tesla Model 3 is a large step down in amenities and build quality from a Mercedes E350.
If you’re looking at price, spec, and market, I think you’re more aimed at the S class/7 series/A7 crowd. The midsize class is not ready to shell out an additional $30k average to get a Model S
There is no doubt in my mind that based on chassis size, interior room and amenities, the Model S is a midsize competitor to the E Class/BMW 5 Series/Audi 6 series.

Just as the Model 3 is a competitor to the BMW 3 Series/Mercedes C Class/Audi 4 Series, as Tesla has stated in the past.

Both the Model 3 and S, are priced well above their respective automobile class competition, there is no question about that.

I am finally getting to the point that I am going to order a 3 soon. I drove the RWD, and it ticked all the boxes except handling. Don’t get me wrong, I loved driving the 3, but coming from an E Class, I feel like it is less sure footed. With that said, has anyone bought a 3 and sold their W212 E Class? Which model did you buy? Also, does the AWD offer torque vectoring? Is there a substantial difference in the suspension setup between the Model 3 variants, or are they all the same? Thanks in advance!

Last month, I had to decide between a Mercedes C Class and a Model 3. The Model 3 is a fantastic car. I opted for the Mercedes mostly because the service centers here are overwhelmed. I would have overlooked any quality issues or reliability issues if I could simply be assured someone would pick up the phone if I had a problem.

I have a 3 year lease, and Mercedes will have a lot of EV options available in 2022. I'll probably get one then.

One difference between the cars that no one has mentioned is this: Given that you are from Dallas, you should consider that the Model 3 has a glass roof. I'm from California, and I often park in places where the temperature exceeds 90. The glass roof was a problem for me.

Reactions: alloverx
In my opinion a Tesla Model 3 is a large step down in amenities and build quality from a Mercedes E350.

There is no doubt in my mind that based on chassis size, interior room and amenities, the Model S is a midsize competitor to the E Class/BMW 5 Series/Audi 6 series.

Just as the Model 3 is a competitor to the BMW 3 Series/Mercedes C Class/Audi 4 Series, as Tesla has stated in the past.

Both the Model 3 and S, are priced well above their respective automobile class competition, there is no question about that.

The Model 3 performance is cheaper than a well equipped 330i. How do you figure they are priced above. If anything, the Model 3 is far cheaper than its competitio .

• Disagree
Reactions: tvad and PhaseWhite
Last month, I had to decide between a Mercedes C Class and a Model 3. The Model 3 is a fantastic car. I opted for the Mercedes mostly because the service centers here are overwhelmed. I would have overlooked any quality issues or reliability issues if I could simply be assured someone would pick up the phone if I had a problem.

I have a 3 year lease, and Mercedes will have a lot of EV options available in 2022. I'll probably get one then.

One difference between the cars that no one has mentioned is this: Given that you are from Dallas, you should consider that the Model 3 has a glass roof. I'm from California, and I often park in places where the temperature exceeds 90. The glass roof was a problem for me.

I am working on a solution for that beyond tint. Otherwise, the car will be in the garage at home and the parking garage at my office. I had a triple black Porsche Boxster that taught me to think about the weather. I’m buying white on white with the Tesla as well.

Reactions: Petrocelli
The Model 3 is a direct competitor with the C Class.

Right, I’m not debating that. I had a few C Class, and I have missed how tossible they are. The E Class is firm, and confidence inspiring in a different way. Since my budget (and wife) don’t allow for a model S, I am getting a model 3. Part of what I was trying to drive home in a previous comment is that if Tesla were to make a “Model 5” they would crush Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

So it is a sport. It’s also the same as mine only lighter gray. Interesting. I think Mercedes, Audi, and BMW have gotten way behind in the industry and it’s direction. Over typical landslide depreciation, I think part of the reason I want to switch is because a few years from now, those who drive German will be dumping their cars for electric equivalents that outperform them. If Tesla made a midsized sedan, E class, 5 series, and the A6 would be done.
I’m a bit confused. Why were you trying to compare a $60-70K car to a $38k car?

You keep touting the “sport” part of this E class and you are comparing it to the entry Tesla. Either move up the Tesla food chain, or bring your expectations into line with the price point.

Reactions: tvad
BMW 330i X Drive Sedan. White. 18" wheels. Convenience package. $45,100
Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. White. 18" wheels. $47,990.
Model 3 Performance. White. $55,990

You can also option that car to the gills and get it to $55k. The long range dual motor is faster than a M340. Those start at $56k. The Performance is $20k cheaper than an M3. The standard range is $38k which is cheaper than the 330 you quoted.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa

You can also option that car to the gills and get it to $55k. The long range dual motor is faster than a M340. Those start at $56k. The Performance is $20k cheaper than an M3. The standard range is $38k which is cheaper than the 330 you quoted.
This debate has been done to death ever since the release of the Model 3.

The 330i X Drive I quoted is an all wheel drive model with synthetic seats which is a closer apples-to-apples comparison to the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

I fundamentally disagree with your comparisons because the cars as equipped are vastly different (the $55k BMW offering considerably more features and amenities than any Model 3), and speed is only a portion of what makes a complete car.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
And that Model 3 Performance is 25k cheaper than a C63 AMG and would spank it in a race. The C300 is the slow version of the C class and doesn’t compare to the Performance 3.

Fortunately, I don't race people in my daily commute. But a C300 goes from 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds, which is just fine for me.

I am more concerned that my interior is quiet and comfortable. I'll pay for comfort and quiet.

Reactions: alloverx and tvad
Fortunately, I don't race people in my daily commute. But a C300 goes from 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds, which is just fine for me.

I am more concerned that my interior is quiet and comfortable. I'll pay for comfort and quiet.
You’re the one who compared the Performance to your coupe. Let’s just compare the standard to your coupe then. It’s probably $10k cheaper than your car.

Having been in both a C300 and Model 3 recently, Model 3 is far quieter, even cruising at freeway speeds. I find it more comfortable too.

Had a friend in mine today, she drives an E class wagon, she kept saying "it's so quiet!".

Also on glass roof, I live in CA too, the interior gets no hotter when parked than my last car. The AC is superior to anything I've experienced.

I used to love Mercedes Benz cars, my preferred marque. Now they feel archaic and the interior feels chintzy.

Had an E-350 Sport with the AMG "Look" package. Was a nice car, but the handling was phony. On the street it felt kind of nimble. Had bigger tires, brakes and AMG wheels. Up to 80% it felt like a good handling car, but I took it to the track and if fell all over itself. When really called upon to perform it failed miserably. Pushed like a pig, had no power high up in the revs. Brakes faded badly. Would fall over onto it's bump stops and slop around the track. Instead of being balanced around a corner it would push like a snow plow. It is a poser...pure and simple.

It looked like a nice designo interior, but the MB-Tek interior was just fancy plastic seats. The paddle shifters were useless on the track, and you never knew when it would up or downshift on it's own.

The illusion of performance was carefully put into the feeling of good handling, but when you really need the handling in an emergency situation, it will fail you.

The electronics were from 20 years ago. Radio sounded good, but was over bass boosted and again phony good sounding. The gas mileage was poor compared to it's Asian competition. Required expensive premium fuel.

Craziest option was power rear seat headrest floping. A button on the dash would flop down the rear headrests if you wanted better visability out the back. Rear seat passengers would then need to push them back up manually if they wanted that vaulted Mercedes safety.

Build quality seemed good, but once again it is carefully engineered to sound and feel good, but in reality it is a pretty ordinary (and overpriced) car compared to the Asian offerings.

Take off the Mercedes grill and badging, and the car becomes quite ordinary.

Believe that Petrocelli made a bad decision here.

True advancement trumps phony every time.