Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS reviews published - longest range and most luxurious ride of all EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I got tired of the inexcusable lack of communication about the Model X we reserved back in January. So we canceled the order and ordered an EQS 450+. The dealer isn’t marking it up, we test drove one at the dealer today, he was able to tell us where car is and when it will be delivered. I dislike dealers as much as the next guy but it was refreshing to actually get some information about our order. Which was nice after a year of trolling forums for information about our model X order.
And we are getting it before we would have taken delivery of the X.

I would strongly consider the EQS for city driving and shorter hauls, it’s at the top of my list among a range of new good EVs revealed lately.

More competition just benefits us as the consumers, make these companies innovate and fight and give us the best value possible

Screenshot_2022-01-08_10-36-07.png

Reactions: DblOSmith
I often think that companies -- other than Tesla -- have not yet figured out some of the basic technology of electric vehicles, leading to various oddities in the design of their EVs such as those giving impetus to warnings like the one above. An additional example is the speed throttling and wonky battery cooling system of the Ford Mach-E. Another notable example, among others, is the significantly lower efficiency, in respect of range to kWh, of almost all other EV offerings.

Last edited:
Except for missing a frunk, which is sad, what do you really want to tamper with beneath the hood? I can fix my MTB, but I don't care to try to fix anything on a car.
Hopefully the car is well made so nothing needs to be repaired.
I do wonder about fluids... brake, washer, hydraulics, etc.
I think my major problem with this is the attitude of MB... we don't trust to to have access to your car. You must go to the dealer

Reactions: DblOSmith
Hopefully the car is well made so nothing needs to be repaired.
I do wonder about fluids... brake, washer, hydraulics, etc.
I think my major problem with this is the attitude of MB... we don't trust to to have access to your car. You must go to the dealer
Washer fluid has a refill port.
Coolant and brake fluid is probably is probably something most owners have reir employes check in this price class.
Hydraulics?

Power steering.
Only the dealer can check and fill? My chaffeur likes to check the car daily.
Mercedes uses Assyst Plus to track and notify you of service intervals, and the manual says that servicing at inappropriate intervals can lead to more wear and tear

Sounds like long story short, just let the system do its thing

Reactions: daktari
I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I bought an EV in part due to lack of need to fiddle with *sugar* underneath the hood. What a way to secure that thought and feel of luxury than to tell your customers you don't need to do that.

On the flip side, I get idea "hey... just who owns this car? The dealer or me?" ...and if opening the hood causes all those cautions, isn't that just a terrible unsafe design?

Reactions: tm1v2
I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I bought an EV in part due to lack of need to fiddle with *sugar* underneath the hood. What a way to secure that thought and feel of luxury than to tell your customers you don't need to do that.

On the flip side, I get idea "hey... just who owns this car? The dealer or me?" ...and if opening the hood causes all those cautions, isn't that just a terrible unsafe design?
Yes, and yes.
EVs are nearly maintenance free.
However, perverse to lock you out of your car.

Yes, and yes.
EVs are nearly maintenance free.
However, perverse to lock you out of your car.
Mercedes does claim it's largely about maintaining the seal on the HEPA system, but it sounds like under the hood is accessible to owners as easily as moving a plastic guard on the latch in the cabin. But there are no fluids under the hood to check or anything that you'll be able to work on anyways, and the hood doesn't have struts etc to hold it open.

Feels like taking the low-maintenance EV angle to the next level where owners really will never even have a reason to look under the hood

I often think that companies -- other than Tesla -- have not yet figured out some of the basic technology of electric vehicles, leading to various oddities in the design of their EVs such as those giving impetus to warnings like the one above. An additional example is the speed throttling and wonky battery cooling system of the Ford Mach-E. Another notable example, among others, is the significantly lower efficiency, in respect of range to kWh, of almost all other EV offerings.
Look at Porsche, true petrolheads, the aerodynamic Taycan is only surpassed in low efficiency by the boxy Rivian, this is what happens when work with skeleton engineering teams without serious testing:
bev-us-comparison-price-per-mile-20210919.png

IMHO the draconian unopenable frunk on the EQS is a Sandy Munro performance anxiety effect. They likely used a lot of ICE parts with redundant systems.
But don't worry, pops will do anything to prevent the young ones from inheriting his hard earned savings.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mspohr and chinney
Thanks for the chart. Nice to see that Tesla does well. Lucid does well too, though actual availability of the vehicle is limited and the price is very high. Ford Mustang is not great, especially not the AWD version (which is what I would need), and Volkswagen and Polestar/Volvo are not great either. I guess that the Mercedes is too new to be rated yet.

Look at Porsche, true petrolheads, the aerodynamic Taycan is only surpassed in low efficiency by the boxy Rivian, this is what happens when work with skeleton engineering teams without serious testing:
bev-us-comparison-price-per-mile-20210919.png

IMHO the draconian unopenable frunk on the EQS is a Sandy Munro performance anxiety effect. They likely used a lot of ICE parts with redundant systems.
But don't worry, pops will do anything to prevent the young ones from inheriting his hard earned savings.
I'd take this chart with a giant grain of salt. Tesla is notorious for gaming the EPA mileage rating and has one of the largest net negative discrepancies in real world range compared to its rated range. Edmunds has a good real world range test that they keep updated here - Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

If you really did an apples to apples comparison in efficiency, Tesla may very well come out on top but with a much slimmer margin over other manufacturers than what the chart you quoted would have you believe.

Reactions: daktari and tm1v2
I'd take this chart with a giant grain of salt. Tesla is notorious for gaming the EPA mileage rating and has one of the largest net negative discrepancies in real world range compared to its rated range. Edmunds has a good real world range test that they keep updated here - Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

If you really did an apples to apples comparison in efficiency, Tesla may very well come out on top but with a much slimmer margin over other manufacturers than what the chart you quoted would have you believe.
I would trust the EPA more than a corporation.

I would trust the EPA more than a corporation.
@mspohr Unfortunately the EPA gives automakers options for how to perform their testing and formulate the resulting mileage/range. So EPA numbers aren't apples-to-apples at all and it's quite likely Edmund's testing is more trustworthy as a comparison point, even with less environmental controls than EPA testing which I believe is done indoors on a dyno.

Teslas ARE among the most efficient and longest range EVs in the real world, but not by as much as the EPA numbers suggest.

By almost every account a Taycan's real-world range and efficiency is less than a comparable Tesla's, but the Taycan's low EPA numbers are an anomaly. The real difference is much less than the EPA difference, from everything I've seen.

Based on what I have seen, there are a lot of people out there ‘gaming’ Tesla.