Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started having this problem with the message saying it could not charge but would actually charge at a slower rate (30A ~ 22 mph). I noticed that I couldn't get a public charger to start charging on Tuesday and got this message Tuesday night at home on my 14-50. Called them this morning, took it in, they replaced the master charger and all is well again. It's weird that a lot of people started having this problem at the same time. Maybe something in 5.11? Heat? It's fine with it under warranty, but after only 4300 miles, I hope when I hit the 50-60k range and my warranty is gone that these are not failing so quickly!

The good news is that When I took mine into the SC - they treated it like a pretty routine fix - seemed like they do it pretty regularly

Your issue sounds a bit different than mine. It sounds like you frequently got the message. I only get the message once in a while but last time it happened and the Service Center looked at it they claimed it was due to the system attempting to lower amperage even though I already had my amps manually dialed down to 30A

Dear All,
I got the car on Friday and I plugged today for its first charge to a Type 2 connector.
I got the "charging problem" message asking me to close the charging port, press the break pedal and try it again.
However, the charge continues without issues.

Anyone experiencing this issue with latest model S ?

Sorry you didn't get a reply, Mario. I see that this thread is quite old now, but I have a relevant post to add, too.

My car is a very early Model S with dual chargers. I've had it for 12 months and have seen the message literally hundreds of times on my instrument cluster that says "Charging problem. Check Power Source and Charge Cable." It doesn't do this every day, but nearly, and at apparently any state of charge from 20% up to 90%. When it happens the car makes the do-do-do sound and charge drops from 40/40 amps to 30/30 amps. My voltage varies between 245 and 235. The NEMA 14-50 outlet is a very long way from my electrical panel, maybe 65 feet, and I'm not sure what gauge wire the electrician used for the 50 amp circuit, but he insisted that it's appropriate for a long run 50 amp circuit. I have experienced this problem using three different UMCs and on two different cars (happened to a loaner two weeks ago almost every day I had it parked in my garage) so I can only conclude that the problem is my wiring either inside or outside my house. But Tesla has never given me a clue about how I should troubleshoot this, and I've asked on four occasions. Any advice from my fellow owners?

Sorry you didn't get a reply, Mario. I see that this thread is quite old now, but I have a relevant post to add, too.

My car is a very early Model S with dual chargers. I've had it for 12 months and have seen the message literally hundreds of times on my instrument cluster that says "Charging problem. Check Power Source and Charge Cable." It doesn't do this every day, but nearly, and at apparently any state of charge from 20% up to 90%. When it happens the car makes the do-do-do sound and charge drops from 40/40 amps to 30/30 amps. My voltage varies between 245 and 235. The NEMA 14-50 outlet is a very long way from my electrical panel, maybe 65 feet, and I'm not sure what gauge wire the electrician used for the 50 amp circuit, but he insisted that it's appropriate for a long run 50 amp circuit. I have experienced this problem using three different UMCs and on two different cars (happened to a loaner two weeks ago almost every day I had it parked in my garage) so I can only conclude that the problem is my wiring either inside or outside my house. But Tesla has never given me a clue about how I should troubleshoot this, and I've asked on four occasions. Any advice from my fellow owners?
There are plenty of other threads about this thing before when it drops the rate from 40 to 30. You could give yourself an ulcer trying to get to the bottom of the supply side of it so you can keep it at 40, or you could settle for turning it down a little to 36 or so, and it will probably be able to keep at that rate, which is higher than 30.

All, just to close on the issue I had with my car: the SC detected a problem with the charger. Apparently, one of the three rectifiers arms got a fault and automatically disconnected by the charger protection system. They have replaced the entire charger unit under warranty. I am using it since three months without any problem.