Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Messed up my steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Miraj

Dec 27, 2021
NJ
Hello.
I have model Y AND BOUGHT STEERING WHEEL FROM AMAZON AND WHEN MY FRIEND TRY TO PUT IT ON, HE MESSED IT UP AND TRIED PUTTING ON THE ORIGINAL ONE BUT THEN THE HORN STARTED. HONKING WOULDN’T STOP AND I’M NOT ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR. WHERE CAN I GO IN NEW JERSEY TO GET THIS FIXED?
If you can send me a private message, please do it please I need someone to fix my car in New York or New Jersey ASAP. I cannot take it to Tesla because they will charge me arm and leg and I’m sure it’s out of warranty if I take it to them.

Last edited:
Hello.
I have model Y AND BOUGHT STEERING WHEEL FROM AMAZON AND WHEN MY FRIEND TRY TO PUT IT ON, HE MESSED IT UP AND TRIED PUTTING ON THE ORIGINAL ONE BUT THEN THE HORN STARTED. HONKING WOULDN’T STOP AND I’M NOT ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR. WHERE CAN I GO IN NEW JERSEY TO GET THIS FIXED?
If you can send me a private message, please do it please I need someone to fix my car in New York or New Jersey ASAP. I cannot take it to Tesla because they will charge me arm and leg and I’m sure it’s out of warranty if I take it to them.
My main concern at this point would be safety. I would bring it to Tesla...

Reactions: Miraj and WyoDude
Upvote 0
On the positive side your "friend" at least didn't blow his head off with the airbag while messing up your car...

Why do you think Tesla would charge more than anybody else for this btw? You could potentially argue the opposite if anything beyond a pin stuck pressed, Tesla's is likely less expensive since it can immediately read error while somebody else might not have the Toolbox3 up and running, clock ticking while they're setting everything up, hopefully not damaging anything else on your car in the process.
As an example let's say they only need to remove 'Amazon' and reinstall original, time code for steering wheel replacement, 0.18h * last I can find $239/hour=$43. Not sure I would call $43 an arm and a leg?
1688767129066.png

AFAIK warranty is not voided for anything else than what's caused by the modification, that's the law.

Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0
On the positive side your "friend" at least didn't blow his head off with the airbag while messing up your car...

Why do you think Tesla would charge more than anybody else for this btw? You could potentially argue the opposite if anything beyond a pin stuck pressed, Tesla's is likely less expensive since it can immediately read error while somebody else might not have the Toolbox3 up and running, clock ticking while they're setting everything up, hopefully not damaging anything else on your car in the process.
As an example let's say they only need to remove 'Amazon' and reinstall original, time code for steering wheel replacement, 0.18h * last I can find $239/hour=$43. Not sure I would call $43 an arm and a leg?View attachment 954128
AFAIK warranty is not voided for anything else than what's caused by the modification, that's the law.

Will Tesla install 3rd party/aftermarket items? I was under the impression they wouldn't.

Reactions: Miraj
Upvote 0