Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal Clinking/Thunking when Accelerating/Decelerating Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC,

I recently picked up my Model Y Performance with a 28xxx VIN at the end of July.

When accelerating hard or braking for turns, there is a weird metal "clunking" at the rear right back of the car. When braking it makes the noise, when accelerating it makes the noise as well - which leads me to believe there is something rolling around in the chassis in the car or loose. I have completely emptied my car and it still makes the noise.

I'm not sure if anyone has had this experience before - does anyone know what it might be, and what a fix could be?

Thank you!

Hi TMC,

I recently picked up my Model Y Performance with a 28xxx VIN at the end of July.

When accelerating hard or braking for turns, there is a weird metal "clunking" at the rear right back of the car. When braking it makes the noise, when accelerating it makes the noise as well - which leads me to believe there is something rolling around in the chassis in the car or loose. I have completely emptied my car and it still makes the noise.

I'm not sure if anyone has had this experience before - does anyone know what it might be, and what a fix could be?

Thank you!

Did you get this fixed?

Yes, experienced same issue with my 46xxx VIN Long Range and have also read others report same. Here's what Tesla Service did:

TeslaClicking.JPG

This work did address it but unfortunately I suspect the sound is returning.

But hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
The metallic clicking occurs during the weight shift of the chassis when slowing or starting out. Very loud with windows down.

I have similar clunking - first SC said "normal" on my VIN range o_O. They torqued all nuts to spec, clunking still there.

Git worse, more clunking now - have an appt with a second SC for Dec 19th. Techs analyzing audio I sent.

Mine is quick series of metallic clunk (2 to 4), more so on acceleation than deceleration, around 1-15 mph. It is not the "brake or regen" engaging/disengaging.

I have similar clunking - first SC said "normal" on my VIN range o_O. They torqued all nuts to spec, clunking still there.

Git worse, more clunking now - have an appt with a second SC for Dec 19th. Techs analyzing audio I sent.

Mine is quick series of metallic clunk (2 to 4), more so on acceleation than deceleration, around 1-15 mph. It is not the "brake or regen" engaging/disengaging.
What did the second SC say/do? I‘ve already been through the “oh yeah, they do that sometimes, it’s normal” first SC brush off. They “lubed and tightened” but that made zero different.

Thank you for anything you can report back

What did the second SC say/do? I‘ve already been through the “oh yeah, they do that sometimes, it’s normal” first SC brush off. They “lubed and tightened” but that made zero different.

Thank you for anything you can report back
Same response from second SC. The tech test drove, torqued all that he can under the hood to spec - reassured that the clunking does not affect safety and efficiency of the car. That it was known to occur on early VIN Model Ys without much needing correction.

Same response from second SC. The tech test drove, torqued all that he can under the hood to spec - reassured that the clunking does not affect safety and efficiency of the car. That it was known to occur on early VIN Model Ys without much needing correction.
That’s so frustrating. I’m sorry.
I’m hoping for good results at my next SC appointment. It happens so often now on mine and frankly it’s kinda embarrassing when I drive people around. If this is “normal” this far into making cars then the Tesla quality noisemakers are are right. *sigh*

Hi TMC,

Thank you!