Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic rubbing noise coming from the brakes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was a pretty cold day and I had to use my brakes to stop instead of relying on regenerative braking. After a few uneventful short trips, I noticed a loud metallic rubbing noise coming from the front right brake last night - stepping on the pedal reduced the sound almost entirely. I pulled over to the side of the road and didn't notice anything unusual around the calipers...got back into the car and the noise disappeared completely.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? TIA.

I've had this sound randomly happen since I took delivery in June. My MY is stored in a climate-controlled garage, and has zero corrosion on the rotors. It is so random, it has been very difficult to identify. It is a terrible metal-on-metal sound, but given it's random nature, I just don't think an SC appointment will be useful at this point.

Reactions: spdracer888
I've had this sound randomly happen since I took delivery in June. My MY is stored in a climate-controlled garage, and has zero corrosion on the rotors. It is so random, it has been very difficult to identify. It is a terrible metal-on-metal sound, but given it's random nature, I just don't think an SC appointment will be useful at this point.

Very similar experience. Right rear brake has twice made a scraping/metal-on-metal sound. It sounds as if the parking brake on that wheel wasn't disengaging properly. Multiple switches between Park and Drive didn't resolve it. Then, after driving a few hundred meters, the sound goes away. My theory is that dirt/rocks were temporarily lodged between pads and rotor, AND there was a software glitch involving regen or the parking brake.

It quickly went away, and I'm a long drive from a service center, so I'm rolling with it....

Brake discs on all cars rust quickly if they get damp and aren’t used for a bit. The noise is the brake pads scraping off the rust. It is harmless and the noise goes away after a couple of times using the brakes.

I agree with this. In addition, since the majority of braking/slowing from speed is regen and not mechanical, I think pads/rotors aren't getting enough work to keep surfaces clean. FYI: garage kept car, every first drive, backing out of my driveway (60ft, downhill), I notice the scraping sound of the pads/rotors.

Reactions: spdracer888
I agree with this. In addition, since the majority of braking/slowing from speed is regen and not mechanical, I think pads/rotors aren't getting enough work to keep surfaces clean. FYI: garage kept car, every first drive, backing out of my driveway (60ft, downhill), I notice the scraping sound of the pads/rotors.

It wasn't the rust sound. I suspect it was a small rock caught between the caliper and the rotor. The sound has not returned since.

I am in Arizona and it's been 2 months since I took my delivery so no snow or major dust area. I noticed a light metallic rubbing noise coming during regen braking. This is the case when I have my steering wheel fully turned to either side and I am slowly moving the car (like backing it up). I spoke to my service advisor regarding this and I am told, it's a known issue that should be fixed in one of the firmware.
He mentioned that it started happening after regen braking got options (Hold, Creep, and Roll). He told me not to worry because I am not going to wear off any parts due to this.

Anyone else experiencing this?