Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking thudding noise while applying brakes…,drives me nuts and been service centre twice and they can’t find anything wrong.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attached a YouTube video of My MYP 2022 only with 16k km and this clicking thudding noise while applying brakes make me nuts. Sometime really loud but when I went to the service centre I can’t really hear it? Can someone advise me? TIA
The noise coming from both front brakes.

Is that the brakes or the CV axle? Go to an empty parking lot if possible. Put the car in R and drive in a circle with the wheel all the way turned. See if the sound gets worse. If it does most likely the CV axle. They may just need lubrication. I think Tesla had a TSB for lubricating the axle splines.

I was thinking axle too, but applying the brake seems to be what's causing the noise. The axle wouldn't be applying any torque to the hub in that case. But that trick in Reverse should be a good way to exacerbate the problem if it's indeed axle related.

Sounds too loud to be the pads knocking in the carrier too... interesting. Any number of suspension components can be loose from the factory though, as I've found. :)

I was thinking axle too, but applying the brake seems to be what's causing the noise. The axle wouldn't be applying any torque to the hub in that case. But that trick in Reverse should be a good way to exacerbate the problem if it's indeed axle related.

Sounds too loud to be the pads knocking in the carrier too... interesting. Any number of suspension components can be loose from the factory though, as I've found. :)
The TSB for the axles is due to failure to properly torque the axle at the factory. The TSB states to lubricate axle splines at hub and retorque axle bolt. Doesn't sound like brakes to me either. Sounds like something has play and is making noise when weight is transferred.

That doesn't sound like CV noise to me. The hollow metallic click/clunk sounds like the protective shield behind the rotor is flexing or is loose?

Did the tech actually check torque on the various brake parts? Are the lug nuts torqued to 129 lb/ft?

That doesn't sound like CV noise to me. The hollow metallic click/clunk sounds like the protective shield behind the rotor is flexing or is loose?

Did the tech actually check torque on the various brake parts? Are the lug nuts torqued to 129 lb/ft?
Thanks for your all replies, last Friday I brought it in at Tesla Service centre and they remove the wheels and lubes the brakes. Still it didn't solved the problem. I am getting frustrated and tired of keep going back and they have no idea

Thanks for your all replies, last Friday I brought it in at Tesla Service centre and they remove the wheels and lubes the brakes. Still it didn't solved the problem. I am getting frustrated and tired of keep going back and they have no idea
I bet you a Timmies double-double it is the brake pads. I see you're in Canada so there is a chance you can cash in that bet if I am wrong!

Reactions: 240vPlug
Is that the brakes or the CV axle? Go to an empty parking lot if possible. Put the car in R and drive in a circle with the wheel all the way turned. See if the sound gets worse. If it does most likely the CV axle. They may just need lubrication. I think Tesla had a TSB for lubricating the axle splines.
thank you, i will try that

I attached a YouTube video of My MYP 2022 only with 16k km and this clicking thudding noise while applying brakes make me nuts. Sometime really loud but when I went to the service centre I can’t really hear it? Can someone advise me? TIA
The noise coming from both front brakes.

I have the same issue with my 2022 MYLR. Been into service centre twice and each time they cant find the issue. I have the exact same noise coming from the front brakes. To me, it sounds like something is loose on the brake system as when you switch between forward and reverse then apply the brake the click happens. Its a very metallic noise so am not sure if this could be the brake pads.

I have the same issue with my 2022 MYLR. Been into service centre twice and each time they cant find the issue. I have the exact same noise coming from the front brakes. To me, it sounds like something is loose on the brake system as when you switch between forward and reverse then apply the brake the click happens. Its a very metallic noise so am not sure if this could be the brake pads.
I am still convinced it is loose brake pads, since they will shift up and down when you change from reverse to drive and apply the brakes. OP never came back to tell us what happened (this is always the case when I am sifting through forums looking for an answer to a computer issue) so we just don't know what it was for him.

The noise sounds similar in this video "axle click noise"
The sound made in this video is not the same. The original post has a metallic click while applying the brakes and switching between forward and reverse. The noise from the video in your link happens when moving away and not under braking. I have the same noise issue as the original post which happens when applying the brakes at lower speeds. Switch between forward and reverse and you get the noise.

I am still convinced it is loose brake pads, since they will shift up and down when you change from reverse to drive and apply the brakes. OP never came back to tell us what happened (this is always the case when I am sifting through forums looking for an answer to a computer issue) so we just don't know what it was for him.
I guess one way to test this would be to jack up the car, apply the brakes then try and move the wheel and monitor the pad for movement? Can you see the pads like this?