Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metro Express Lanes rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Southern California drivers here? I’m a bit confused about the rules for Metro Express Lanes like I-10 and how it relates to HOV lanes.

I know EV owners with a CAV decal can drive in regular HOV lanes without a passenger.

In the past, I read EVs could drive in Express Lanes with the transponder set to 3 passengers all the time. But I think that was changed a few years ago, so now you must set the transponder to match the actual number of occupants.

So the question is, what about the Express Lanes that require 2 or 3 passengers? Am I allowed to drive there solo, and which rate will I pay?

I am also looking for clarification on this subject. I called the 91 Express Lanes which offers a Zero Emission Vehicle account, and it seems like their situation changed from being free or discounted on the other Express Lanes throughout California to only being on their toll roads.

It looks like the LA city council voted in 2018 to no longer give free access to vehicles with CAV stickers. The Express Lanes shows it currently has a 15% discount.

Hate to muddy the waters but one data point from me. I have a Bay Area CAV Fastrak transponder and when using the I-15 express lanes starting after Corona southbound as well as in San Diego county (north and southbound), I've been charged full price with 1 occupant and when I had 3 occupants and set the transponder to 3, I was not charged. From the looks of it, no discounts for CAV like up here.

I am also looking for clarification on this subject. I called the 91 Express Lanes which offers a Zero Emission Vehicle account, and it seems like their situation changed from being free or discounted on the other Express Lanes throughout California to only being on their toll roads.
91 Express Lane's free ZEV account has always been ONLY free for 91 toll during non-rush hours. I had it for 4 years and always been charged full toll or somewhat close to full on other toll roads. Now if Orange County Toll has a free program, I would switch to that immediately!