Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MGzsEv

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was thinking of buying this for the wife £23500 for the exclusive version.
Then I found out you could buy the petrol version for £14500
So a £9000 saving .
My wife only drives at most 5000 miles a year and it would take 10 years in fuel to get to the price of the electric version.
Therefore is it a mistake to go electric when the petrol version is so cheap.
Opinions please.

• Disagree
Reactions: ajcarpenter
There's lots of cheap ways to mess up our air quality and the environment generally! As things are at present I can't think anybody will claim that driving electric is the cheapest option when you look at the purchase price, even though there are savings to be made in some areas. Wait until we have to pay the same amount of fuel tax as petrol/diesel owners are paying ...

Won't it be your wife who decides what she would like to drive over the next few years? Monetary cost will only be part of the equation. If it was the only factor then we would all be choosing the same car and fuel type ... and we are clearly not!

So a £9000 saving .
My wife only drives at most 5000 miles a year and it would take 10 years in fuel to get to the price of the electric version.
Opinions please.

For the EV I'd also expect the resale value of the car to be higher so if you were to sell it after 5 years the difference maybe less.

I also wonder if you'd be able to get a bigger discount than £1k by checking at different dealers or try Carwow

Factor in the high depreciation of the petrol car, higher servicing costs, and the guilt of knowing what your car is chucking out the back any time you drive past a school. I'd go with the EV or something second hand. I see very little justification for buying a brand new ICE car in 2020.

It's not just fuel, it's servicing, repairs and depreciation. If that MG petrol makes it to 10 years it will be worth the same as a bag of Crisps. Whereas the Electric would probably be worth £5,000 more. So you're no comparing apples with apples if you just look at fuel.
Also how much is fuel going to be compared to electricity in the coming years. I think we've reached price parity already if you factor everything in. For me electric is a no brainer if buying new.

Opinions please

2nd hand value on a Fossil Car in 5 years time when battery is all the rage? 0%

2nd hand value on an EV Car in 5 years time when battery is all the rage? 50%

I expect the EV is safer - no engine in the front coming into the cabin in the event of an accident. More mass in the EV too, assuming hitting something lighter. Flip side, increasing numbers / risk of getting hit by a heavy EV if you are in a lighter car.

Dunno if your wife likes driving? but plenty that I know that don't find EV more to their liking - I like the description used on Fully Charged which is that EV is more "collaborative". But assuming your wife has driven your MS or M3 you'll already know if that is a factor, or not.

So a £9000 saving .
Opinions please.

Why not look at a second hand EV? Should be able to find a decent 2-3 year old Zoe or Leaf for less than petrol MG. Given your wife’s mileage should work well.