Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive of a petrol car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drive of a petrol car

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging. A winning formula on paper – but how are they in real life?

We sat us in the loaner car at the car salesman’s office. Automakers do not sell the cars themselves, only through independent car repair shops as middlemen. It may sound like a bad omen to buy the car from a car repair shop that you want to visit as seldom as possible. But you apparently can’t buy the car directly from the manufacturer, so you must go through such intermediaries. The seller was very “pushy” and tried to convince us to buy the car very forcibly, but the experience is perhaps better elsewhere.

So we sat in the car and pressed the START button. The car’s gasoline engine coughed to life and started to operate. One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should. The car actually has an electric motor and a microscopically small battery, but they are only used to start the petrol engine – the electric motor does not drive the wheels. The petrol engine then uses a tank full of gasoline, a fossil liquid, to propel the car by exploding small drops of it. It is apparently the small explosions that you hear and feel when the engine is running.

The car repair shop salesman reassured us that the flammable petrol gasoline beneath our seats was completely safe and would only typically leak in the event of a crash. He also spoke of being able to drive over 300 miles without refilling which we thought was odd as who would do this in one go without wanting a bathroom break or a refreshment.

The petrol engine consists of literally hundreds of moving parts that must have tolerance of hundredths of a millimeter to function. We begun to understand why it is car repair shops that sell the cars – they might hope for something to break in the car that they can mend?

We put in a gear and drove away with a jerk. The jerk came not from any extreme acceleration, but gasoline engines apparently cannot be driven as smoothly as electric motors. The acceleration did not occur at all, because we could not get the car to go faster than 40 mph! By then the petrol engine literally howled and the whole car shook violently. Convinced that something must have broken we stopped the car. The seller then explained that with petrol engines you need to “change gears” on a regular basis. Between the engine and the wheels are not a fixed ratio gear, but a variable one. The petrol engine can produce power only in a limited speed range, and must therefore be geared with different ratios in order to continue to accelerate.

There are 5 different gears we can select with increasing speed as result. It is -as we learned quickly- very important that each time select a suitable gear otherwise the engine will either stop or get seriously damaged! You need a lot of training to learn to select the right gear at the right time – though there are also models with automatic transmissions that can do this themselves. In the manual transmission car, we needed to constantly guard the engine from damaging it. Very stressful.

We asked if the constant sound of the engine -that frankly disturbed us from being able to listen to the radio- could be turned off. But it couldn’t. Very distracting.

After getting the car up to speed through intricate changing of gears we approached a traffic light. Releasing the accelerator pedal resulted in no significant braking, we had to use the brake pedal very much to slow down the car. We were surprised to hear the brakes are completely mechanical! The only thing they generate is heat – braking gives no regeneration of gasoline back into the tank!

Sounds like a huge waste, but it would soon get even worse.

Not all my work but insightful nonetheless…..

460375914_110a64953a_b.jpg

"Pumping gas" by futureatlas.com is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin Note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I suppose it's expected that in a Tesla forum the fan base would be glowing. Remember the story of the fox that lost his tail and tried to persuade all the other foxes of the benefit of being tailless? It's why I threw in my few pence in similar vein.
I live very rurally and keep 200L red diesel on site for my small farm kit as well as a huge heating oil supply. I also keep a few jerrycans of petrol and road legal diesel about. It's simple and practical where there's space to have a spare tankful on hand. It'd take a big box to keep a spare 100KWH of leccy about. Yeah, solar panels can do it but it'd take a while in winter and just doesn't do the job overnight..... I've never tried modifying the emergency genny to see if it could do it.. just easier to grab the spare car which is necessary (to own) in case the primary fails and we'd be totally stuck for transport.

Reactions: Whyone
Mod comment : please don’t let posts get personal

Refuelling a car has a simple pecking order to me from easiest to hardest:

EV at home
EV at destination (although even this can be troublesome depending on the site and/or the need to park in a different location to your preferred)
ICE at petrol station and given they’re everywhere you never really have to go more than a little out your way
EV rapid charging when passing one
EV rapid charging having had to take a detour to get to it, I’ve taken longer routes before now to accomodate a charging stop

EV owners may average generally above or below the ICE one, but I suspect very few are soley above it at all times,

It’s still quick, efficient and convenient and many of us have done it for decades without giving it a second thought.
I still have to do it but my case unfortunately does not reflect your sentence. And yes, at one point this what I did in general but I just wouldn't do it now unless of course I have to. I do carry a couple fuel cans in the car when the season for ridding the bike starts and fill them when a good opportunity arises when out and about with the highest octane which tends to be either Tesco or shell, none of which are near me.

Mod comment : please don’t let posts get personal

Refuelling a car has a simple pecking order to me from easiest to hardest:

EV at home
EV at destination (although even this can be troublesome depending on the site and/or the need to park in a different location to your preferred)
ICE at petrol station and given they’re everywhere you never really have to go more than a little out your way
EV rapid charging when passing one
EV rapid charging having had to take a detour to get to it, I’ve taken longer routes before now to accomodate a charging stop

EV owners may average generally above or below the ICE one, but I suspect very few are soley above it at all times,
Surely ICE at petrol station is easier than EV at destination seeing as you'll need to get a cable out the boot, use an app to fire the thing up and hope it actually works?

The only thing easier than filling up with petrol or diesel is charging at home, if you're lucky enough to have a driveway. Anything other than that is a major inconvenience compared to wheeling into your local garage and filling up.

Reactions: Whyone and Type2
Surely ICE at petrol station is easier than EV at destination seeing as you'll need to get a cable out the boot, use an app to fire the thing up and hope it actually works?

The only thing easier than filling up with petrol or diesel is charging at home, if you're lucky enough to have a driveway. Anything other than that is a major inconvenience compared to wheeling into your local garage and filling up.
If you're parking in that spot anyway, getting a cable out the boot and using an app is I recon still easier than driving into a petrol station, getting the pump, standing there for the 2 mins while it fills up, putting it away, and either walking into the booth to pay or going through a similar payment process as a charge point and then getting back into the car to continue the journey to wherever you're going. And if it's your work car park or somewhere with destination chargers which have tethered cables and are free then its even easier.

If it's not your destination and you're parking in a car park half a mile further away than you'd like, I'd agree. I was giving the benefit of the doubt to a simple destination charging setup

Let’s not exaggerate and pretend filling an ICE car is hugely inconvenient.

Was for me when I was doing 30K miles a year - that was 8 hours a year standing-and-pumping, and queuing-to-pay, and I don't suppose that the fumes on the forecourt were doing me any good.

No dispute that ICE is faster than charging EV, but whilst charging EV you can do something else - assuming you can do that. Back when I did 30K miles p.a. coincidentally my Supercharging was pretty much 8 hours a year too. But I sat and did emails, which I would have had to do when I got home, so it was time-neutral for me. If folk can do shopping etc. whilst charging then that would be time neutral too - but I reckon that to achieve that would need a very organised person !!

Although ... when I go to e.g. supermarket there is a queue of people waiting to fill up. My guess is that their dwell-time is 10 minutes, instead of 5 for a no-wait fill-up. That is getting close to EV charging time ... but I expect Supermarket petrol is a lot cheaper than Rapid Charging Leccy ... Drat!!

Reactions: Js1977
I still own a Petrol Car alongside my Tesla.

When driving the Petrol car, I've found myself...

- Forgetting to Brake...
- Forgetting to Change Gear...
- Forgetting to check fuel levels...
- Forgetting it needs 15 minutes of defrosting... before I can go anywhere...
- Forgetting to put the handbrake on...
- Forgetting to Tax it...

- Staring at the Sat Nav, when Reversing...
- Leaving the car unlocked as I walk away...
- Wheelspinning out of junctions with too much of no power...
- Spending more time cleaning bird poo off a painted roof...

Overall... my Wife and I love our electric cars thanks.

- Cheap Electric
- Home Fast Charging
- No Servicing
- Clean and Easy to use

Perfect.

Last edited:

- Forgetting to Brake...

You need a better petrol car

Ours has comfort access and locks and unlocks automatically.
When reversing it puts up a 360 genuine camera view of the surrounding area
Has an automatic gearbox so no manual gear changes required. It also has an automatic handbrake
It warns you when range is below 50 miles
Is taxed exactly the same as our EV in the sense that we have to log into the DVLA, provide the code, the only difference we also have to enter our credit card details
The paint withstands road use better than the Tesla with far fewer stone chips after similar mileage

Your post is typical of the ones mentioned previously where the pro EV/anti ice arguments are generally bogus and don’t actually help the EV cause. There are advantages to EVs, but to add stuff which is either not an EV benefit as any well sorted car has the capability or is actually just wrong gives ammunition to the pro ICE lobby.

#keepitreal

• Funny
Reactions: PITA and ACarneiro
I, too, still have a petrol car (MX-5 Miata), but I rarely drive it. It's noisy. It has a manual gearbox. It vibrates a lot. I do enjoy driving it...occasionally...but only because it feels so obsolete and nostalgic.

- Forgetting to Brake...

- Cheap Electric
- Home Fast Charging
- No Servicing
- Clean and Easy to use

Perfect.
Perhaps time to get rid of the petrol car? Sounds like it would be in everyones best interests?!?

I drive 2 petrol cars (I manual, I auto) and 3 EVs (with quite different systems - Tesla's get in and drive / just walk away afterwards is the best, Fiat's bizarre button pressing the most annoying!) and really don't find it difficult to remember what I'm driving and how it works!

Re. Tax - why don't you forget to tax the EV's?

You need a better petrol car

Ours ..

Do you actually need a petrol car any more? (Appreciate that you might keep it for X years for financial reasons, or similar)

Got the MS in 2015, real-world motorway range 240 miles, so anywhere more than 180 miles needed to find a charger. Kept the wife's smaller ICE as backup, and the V8 Lotus-7 Hooligan. Used ICE when 2nd car needed, and for continental stuff (far fewer Superchargers, I am sure we could have done it, but a couple of legs down to the alps were "Keep below 60 MPH" type stuff, and we didn't fancy it). I thought I would drive the Hooligan high-days and holidays, but I didn't. It was only sub-4s, so SLOW! uncomfortable, noisy, barely rain proof, impractical - luggage space only for a toothbrush. But fun.

Changed to MS Raven in 2019, 200 motorway mile range. More superchargers. Took it skiing, decided we didn't need ICE backup any more, replaced ICE with M3 in 2020. Haven't had an ICE since, hate it when I have to drive one (which is almost-never)

Do you actually need a petrol car any more? (Appreciate that you might keep it for X years for financial reasons, or similar)

Got the MS in 2015, real-world motorway range 240 miles, so anywhere more than 180 miles needed to find a charger. Kept the wife's smaller ICE as backup, and the V8 Lotus-7 Hooligan. Used ICE when 2nd car needed, and for continental stuff (far fewer Superchargers, I am sure we could have done it, but a couple of legs down to the alps were "Keep below 60 MPH" type stuff, and we didn't fancy it). I thought I would drive the Hooligan high-days and holidays, but I didn't. It was only sub-4s, so SLOW! uncomfortable, noisy, barely rain proof, impractical - luggage space only for a toothbrush. But fun.

Changed to MS Raven in 2019, 200 motorway mile range. More superchargers. Took it skiing, decided we didn't need ICE backup any more, replaced ICE with M3 in 2020. Haven't had an ICE since, hate it when I have to drive one (which is almost-never)
If we’re going to compare I think we should at least make them comparable class/age. If an ICE fan compared something like a fully optioned German ICE car to an old bmw i3 they have as a runaround and ripped into the i3’s range, aging screen, etc the EV fans would circle and cry foul. Seems only right to be even handed if you want a true debate

As for needing an ICE. For me I’d agree with you, a combination of better range and better availability of rapid chargers makes life a lot easier. I find I still have to make allowances when taking the EV on certain trips, we had a few days break in north wales, I went a longer route via Flint to charge up, and we had to manage our journeys while there to leave enough to get back. The alternative was to make a sizeable detour to charge whilst there wasting a few hours of a mini break. In an ICE it wouldn’t have been a consideration. It’s not that frequent an occurrence so the balance works for me, but as said earlier everyone’s circumstances are different

If we’re going to compare I think we should at least make them comparable class/age. If an ICE fan compared something like a fully optioned German ICE car to an old bmw i3 they have as a runaround and ripped into the i3’s range, aging screen, etc the EV fans would circle and cry foul. Seems only right to be even handed if you want a true debate

As for needing an ICE. For me I’d agree with you, a combination of better range and better availability of rapid chargers makes life a lot easier. I find I still have to make allowances when taking the EV on certain trips, we had a few days break in north wales, I went a longer route via Flint to charge up, and we had to manage our journeys while there to leave enough to get back. The alternative was to make a sizeable detour to charge whilst there wasting a few hours of a mini break. In an ICE it wouldn’t have been a consideration. It’s not that frequent an occurrence so the balance works for me, but as said earlier everyone’s circumstances are different
You did pick the biggest charger desert in the UK to go on your break, though… ;)

Reactions: Js1977
I find I still have to make allowances when taking the EV on certain trips, we had a few days break in north wales, I went a longer route via Flint to charge up, and we had to manage our journeys while there to leave enough to get back

Me too. I feel that is "for the greater good" when I do it ... (so "some resentment / compromise")

The additional stops we make going to Alps (20 minutes every 2-hours or so) mean we arrive in far better condition than we did when we did "We have 600 mile range we can get there in one go!". Alps, for me, is 12 hours door-to-door. EV adds 3 x 20 minutes to that (in addition to the 1-hour lunch we always had before).

But, in terms of compromise, we now stop at the Supercharger for lunch tying to chose the one that has best restaurant. Ditto for any overnight stop "Need something with charging". We used to choose where to stop for "Best enjoyment for holiday" which would have been View, Quality of Service and Restaurant etc. We've stayed in some weird places in order to be able to EV charge ...

Me too. I feel that is "for the greater good" when I do it ... (so "some resentment / compromise")

The additional stops we make going to Alps (20 minutes every 2-hours or so) mean we arrive in far better condition than we did when we did "We have 600 mile range we can get there in one go!". Alps, for me, is 12 hours door-to-door. EV adds 3 x 20 minutes to that (in addition to the 1-hour lunch we always had before).

But, in terms of compromise, we now stop at the Supercharger for lunch tying to chose the one that has best restaurant. Ditto for any overnight stop "Need something with charging". We used to choose where to stop for "Best enjoyment for holiday" which would have been View, Quality of Service and Restaurant etc. We've stayed in some weird places in order to be able to EV charge ...

Now if Tesla could come up with a way to synchronise the needs of my bladder with the charging stops, that would be a useful feature!