Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive of a petrol car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drive of a petrol car

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging. A winning formula on paper – but how are they in real life?

We sat us in the loaner car at the car salesman’s office. Automakers do not sell the cars themselves, only through independent car repair shops as middlemen. It may sound like a bad omen to buy the car from a car repair shop that you want to visit as seldom as possible. But you apparently can’t buy the car directly from the manufacturer, so you must go through such intermediaries. The seller was very “pushy” and tried to convince us to buy the car very forcibly, but the experience is perhaps better elsewhere.

So we sat in the car and pressed the START button. The car’s gasoline engine coughed to life and started to operate. One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should. The car actually has an electric motor and a microscopically small battery, but they are only used to start the petrol engine – the electric motor does not drive the wheels. The petrol engine then uses a tank full of gasoline, a fossil liquid, to propel the car by exploding small drops of it. It is apparently the small explosions that you hear and feel when the engine is running.

The car repair shop salesman reassured us that the flammable petrol gasoline beneath our seats was completely safe and would only typically leak in the event of a crash. He also spoke of being able to drive over 300 miles without refilling which we thought was odd as who would do this in one go without wanting a bathroom break or a refreshment.

The petrol engine consists of literally hundreds of moving parts that must have tolerance of hundredths of a millimeter to function. We begun to understand why it is car repair shops that sell the cars – they might hope for something to break in the car that they can mend?

We put in a gear and drove away with a jerk. The jerk came not from any extreme acceleration, but gasoline engines apparently cannot be driven as smoothly as electric motors. The acceleration did not occur at all, because we could not get the car to go faster than 40 mph! By then the petrol engine literally howled and the whole car shook violently. Convinced that something must have broken we stopped the car. The seller then explained that with petrol engines you need to “change gears” on a regular basis. Between the engine and the wheels are not a fixed ratio gear, but a variable one. The petrol engine can produce power only in a limited speed range, and must therefore be geared with different ratios in order to continue to accelerate.

There are 5 different gears we can select with increasing speed as result. It is -as we learned quickly- very important that each time select a suitable gear otherwise the engine will either stop or get seriously damaged! You need a lot of training to learn to select the right gear at the right time – though there are also models with automatic transmissions that can do this themselves. In the manual transmission car, we needed to constantly guard the engine from damaging it. Very stressful.

We asked if the constant sound of the engine -that frankly disturbed us from being able to listen to the radio- could be turned off. But it couldn’t. Very distracting.

After getting the car up to speed through intricate changing of gears we approached a traffic light. Releasing the accelerator pedal resulted in no significant braking, we had to use the brake pedal very much to slow down the car. We were surprised to hear the brakes are completely mechanical! The only thing they generate is heat – braking gives no regeneration of gasoline back into the tank!

Sounds like a huge waste, but it would soon get even worse.

Not all my work but insightful nonetheless…..

460375914_110a64953a_b.jpg

"Pumping gas" by futureatlas.com is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin Note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Let’s not exaggerate and pretend filling an ICE car is hugely inconvenient. You fill up when you’re out and about anyway - maybe shopping at the supermarket and filling up at the station on the same site. With pay at pump you can be in and out with a full tank in less than 5 minutes.

That’s vastly more convenient than charging an EV for the many millions of people who are unable to charge at home.

I’ve an EV, I think the future is EV, but I agree with you on this. Add the fact that my last ICE did about 600 genuine miles on a tank.

We don’t need to keep extending and trying to exaggerate EV advantages and belittle ICE. If you have to argue too hard like some are it generally means you don’t have a good core argument. We do, and we’re preaching to the converted on here. So I’m not sure what some people are trying to prove other than to possibly justify their decision to go EV to themselves because it’s not changing my opinion. I’m happy with my choice to go EV but I recognise the merits of ICE

Reactions: Whyone
I’ve an EV, I think the future is EV, but I agree with you on this. Add the fact that my last ICE did about 600 genuine miles on a tank.

We don’t need to keep extending and trying to exaggerate EV advantages and belittle ICE. If you have to argue too hard like some are it generally means you don’t have a good core argument. We do, and we’re preaching to the converted on here. So I’m not sure what some people are trying to prove other than to possibly justify their decision to go EV to themselves because it’s not changing my opinion. I’m happy with my choice to go EV but I recognise the merits of ICE
I agree here that it is nowhere near as inconvenient as some people make out. Though, being a home worker, EV is substantially more convenient for me. That said, if I had an ICE car I would just make a detour when running an errand rather than running my errand with a full 'tank'.

One advantage that gets overlooked a lot with EVs though is driver awareness/fatigue. When I have an ICE I will get behind the wheel and drive for 5 hours to get to Devon, only stopping for 5 mis if someone needs a pee - then it is In,Pee,Out,Back on the road. With the need to charge it is slightly less convenient than ICE, but actually I arrive less tired as I am forced to take breaks en-route. Of course, this is a negative of myself and can no way be blamed on ICE vehicles being able to do the journey without a refuel.

Reactions: Zilla91
Let’s not exaggerate and pretend filling an ICE car is hugely inconvenient.

Well I think it is to the point Ive got rid of the petrol mower and chainsaw and yes I still have an ICE vehicle that to be fair I dont use all that much and for a few reasons that makes it even more of an inconvenience

You fill up when you’re out and about anyway - maybe shopping at the supermarket and filling up at the station on the same site

There is only one person in our household that does the shopping the other 3 dont and even then, sometimes its delivered to us.

Ofcourse it's easy for me to say since it's very rare that we have the need to use public charging.

With pay at pump you can be in and out with a full tank in less than 5 minutes.
Yes but not on average either and it depends on how full your tank already is.

For the average driver that will do about 30 miles per day, its not advised to keep your tank full at all times ;)

That’s vastly more convenient than charging an EV for the many millions of people who are unable to charge at home.

Its also fair to say that those many millions dont have EV's and the smaller amount that do will have adjusted.

Of course there are pros and cons in both ICE and EV's but imho that is only the the case for each individual and not to be blanketed across the population.

Oh the joy of an ICE car! It takes me back (quite a long way) to my first car, a 3 wheeler. Kick start the 250cc powerhouse under the bonnet, run round to the passenger side and jump in the only door before the engine cut out.
Even the single windscreen wiper had a manual lever for heavy rain 😂
…and 0 to 35 in… a day or two 🤣🤣

I can just smell the oil, petrol, Gunk, Swarfega and damp carpets

How i miss it…

Not to forget the wind in your hair. …with the Windows shut 😂

I agree here that it is nowhere near as inconvenient as some people make out. Though, being a home worker, EV is substantially more convenient for me. That said, if I had an ICE car I would just make a detour when running an errand rather than running my errand with a full 'tank'.

One advantage that gets overlooked a lot with EVs though is driver awareness/fatigue. When I have an ICE I will get behind the wheel and drive for 5 hours to get to Devon, only stopping for 5 mis if someone needs a pee - then it is In,Pee,Out,Back on the road. With the need to charge it is slightly less convenient than ICE, but actually I arrive less tired as I am forced to take breaks en-route. Of course, this is a negative of myself and can no way be blamed on ICE vehicles being able to do the journey without a refuel.

The "for me" is probably the most relevant part of any post today. We all have a different set of circumstances, use cases, wants and desires.

As for objective comparisons, there's little doubt the ICE fills up more quickly, but as you point out that only matters if you can't use the time more wisely like having a proper rest. I also prefer the sound of V8 burbling away which to some they hate, yet I'd take that over farting noises or a PWS that plays custom lock sounds, I guess that make me over 40..

As for green, I can't save the planet buying an EV, but I can make a contribution by buying EV, If my only goal was to reduce emissions I wouldn;t have had a two week break in the Caribbean over Christmas which probably undid all the saving my car has made in the last 12 months. I won't be alone in that type of lifestyle and as a result I don't incessantly bang the environmental drum as that would be simply hyprotical.

Reactions: Js1977 and Oxid8ter
Like many people I have a 2500ltr (oil) tank adjacent to my house and a truck automatically comes and fills it without any fuss or trouble when it drops to 20% full.

I've never found it unbearably inconvenient to put petrol in my car either...there really are quite a few petrol stations about!!!

It's also not true to say that you can't remotely heat or cool many modern ICE cars

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!

Do you have a petrol pump attached to your house? Because that was what I was talking about. How many people do you know who refuel their car with unleaded petrol or diesel at home?

If you think it is more convenient to drive to a petrol station and fuel there than plug it in overnight, good for you, not sure why you're so keen to have a fight on this on a Tesla forum though...

Do you have a petrol pump attached to your house? Because that was what I was talking about. How many people do you know who refuel their car with unleaded petrol or diesel at home?

If you think it is more convenient to drive to a petrol station and fuel there than plug it in overnight, good for you

Great post if you had stopped at that :) ..... Some people like to pull or even yank each others legs around here... you just got to try beat them at their own game 🤣

If you think it is more convenient to drive to a petrol station and fuel there than plug it in overnight, good for you, not sure why you're so keen to have a fight on this on a Tesla forum though...

Because I get irritated when people see.things in black and white and post utter bobbins to support their views.

For many, unfortunately, it remains a darned sight more convenient to fill a car with petrol/diesel than to charge an EV.

Reactions: Zilla91
If you think it is more convenient to drive to a petrol station and fuel there than plug it in overnight, good for you,
A friend of mine lives in Danby in North Yorkshire. He can’t charge at home and the nearest public charger is miles away. For him charging would be massively inconvenient and probably more expensive than filling up with petrol. An EV is just not an option for him, and it’s the same for literally millions of people in this country.

I charge at home, as do most people on this forum, and clearly that is more convenient, and cheaper, than filling an ICE car. But let’s not pretend that filling an ICE car is some major operation demanding detailed logistical planning every time. It’s still quick, efficient and convenient and many of us have done it for decades without giving it a second thought.