Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin P3D+ 20" Tesla Tires. Why? Why did Tesla change the look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question:

Other than the foam inside of the tire ( seemingly ) making the ride quieter.... why the design change.

I have a temporary non-Tesla Pilot Sport 4s ( standard ) on the rear drivers side right now ( because Tire Rack didn't have a Tesla one ) and I like the look of it better than the Tesla tire.

There is an extra lip on the standard Pilot Sport 4s that isn't on the Tesla tire.

I wonder why Tesla would have changed the look of the outside of the tire. Hmmmmm

Question:

Other than the foam inside of the tire ( seemingly ) making the ride quieter.... why the design change.

I have a temporary non-Tesla Pilot Sport 4s ( standard ) on the rear drivers side right now ( because Tire Rack didn't have a Tesla one ) and I like the look of it better than the Tesla tire.

There is an extra lip on the standard Pilot Sport 4s that isn't on the Tesla tire.

I wonder why Tesla would have changed the look of the outside of the tire. Hmmmmm

Pics comparing the two? I always felt there’s more going on than just adding foam and then calling it a Tesla spec tire. Tesla spec tire is, on paper, wider than the non-tesla. But I haven’t seen them in person or side by side pics.

Question:

@Garlan Garner,

A request....photo from side of both the Tesla Spec tire and the “non” Tesla spec tire. Also a photo from the rear of each. Same tread pattern? Are they assymetrical or symmetrical?

Ski

Lets see how much help I get with these pics.

Here is Tesla's tire

upload_2019-5-30_19-1-45.png

Here is the Regular Michelin

upload_2019-5-30_19-2-36.png

Here is another view of the regular tire.

upload_2019-5-30_19-3-28.png

The regular tire flares out almost a half inch as it approaches the rim. The Tesla tire does not. The tesla tire continues its round profile all the way to the rim and tucks itself behind the rim. Go out and look at your Performance 20's.

The regular tire itself protects the rim - and its amazingly obvious. The Tesla tire does not.

Everything else appears to be the same in specs and appearance.

NOW.....lets see how many facts I actually get towards answering my original question - factually. Not speculatively.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman
Also same manufacturer / model / size tire can have different load & speed ratings. Find the 2 different tires you have on TireRack.com or DiscountTire.com and look carefully at these ratings and manufacturers specifications. Size Matters... but so do sound dampening and load / speed ratings.

Also same manufacturer / model / size tire can have different load & speed ratings. Find the 2 different tires you have on TireRack.com or DiscountTire.com and look carefully at these ratings and manufacturers specifications. Size Matters... but so do sound dampening and load / speed ratings.

Thanks...I'm fully aware of the sound deadening - as you see in my original post.

I'm looking for facts as to why the Tesla tire looks different. Factually. not speculatively.

I purchased the tires.

I purchased both kinds and I've asked these questions over and over. I have investigated these tires over and over comparing everything....which leads me to my original question.

Why do they look different?

Lets see how much help I get with these pics.

Here is Tesla's tire

View attachment 413838

Here is the Regular Michelin

View attachment 413839

Here is another view of the regular tire.

View attachment 413840

The regular tire flares out almost a half inch as it approaches the rim. The Tesla tire does not. The tesla tire continues its round profile all the way to the rim and tucks itself behind the rim. Go out and look at your Performance 20's.

The regular tire itself protects the rim - and its amazingly obvious. The Tesla tire does not.

Everything else appears to be the same in specs and appearance.

NOW.....lets see how many facts I actually get towards answering my original question - factually. Not speculatively.
The OE tires have the Premium Touch sidewall?

I purchased the tires.

I purchased both kinds and I've asked these questions over and over. I have investigated these tires over and over comparing everything....which leads me to my original question.

Why do they look different?

I would guess that seven people in the world know the answer to your question. Five of them work for Michelin and two work for Tesla. I also would guess that none of them read this forum.

I do hope you get your answer.

Good Luck,

GSP

Reactions: BrokerDon
I knew it.

Why do the tires look different?

Why are they designed differently?

All of the specs are identical. I've done my homework.
There needs to be a Puzzled feedback for posts.

Much of the discussion on this forum is exploring / researching, yet you seem to be upset when someone tries to help you with the research.

Good luck in your research; you'll need it when you respond to assistance in this manner.