Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S versus Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tires versus Michelin Cross Climate+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At cold temperatures (anything below 5 deg) my personal belief is that winter tyres give better grip

Me too.

I think that the choice of rubber compound is bound to be temperature dependent, and thus a premium Summer tyre will work best at Summer temperatures, and a premium Winter tyre best at Winter temperatures. "All Season" will have to be some sort of compromise (quite possibly "good enough")

A review that says the Winter tyres were tested at Summer temperatures and performed worse than Summer tyres doesn't tell me anything that I wasn't already expecting!

I posted my thoughts on the crossclimates + in another thread about wheels recently, ok but I personally wouldn’t have them on a performance car. The Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 tyres I had last winter are the best winter tyres I’ve had, they were quiet, really good in the dry and much better then the crossclimates on the few days they saw snow. On the P I have ordered I have replacement tyres included in the package with the leasing company and I’m happy to keep the 4S tyres but I would of considered the new Goodyear’s if I was buying myself. Contemplating either 18” or 19” wheels with Pilot Alpin 5 for winter.

My thoughts on the crossclimates from the other thread:
The V60 I had them on was around two tonnes and when you really got after it on hot days I could easily get them outside of the temperature window, some chronic unexpected understeer shat my pants moments! Under braking they would start to feel disconnected from the road slightly, almost like it was delayed. Cruising around they are fine, I drove 24k miles in a year on them, started off in November 2017, put them on a couple of weeks before heavy snowfall and I could drive around ok aided by 4wd but I didn’t get that amazing feeling you get with winter tyres, especially under braking, on inclines the wheels would spin more also. They are a compromise, ok for my partner who drives extremely cautiously and 5k miles max a year. If you really want to enjoy driving a winter/summer setup will always be better just a bit more hassle. I got them based on reviews but wouldn’t purchase again.

Last edited:
Rim protection didn't make any difference on my Goodyear eagle F1 as3 I had previously and looks similar design and size on the PS4 so wouldn't count on it.
Installed some mudflaps so couldn't comment on the pickup of dirt etc. hitting paintwork. Suggest the same if you are that concerned.

Do standard 18" have the PS4's? Looks to be Michelin Primacy MXM4 on photo of aero's I have seen?

SR+ have mxm4 but p- and perhaps dual Motor have ps4

So I had a look at a couple of brand new Model 3's. Both were shod with 18" aeros and Pilots (not sure exactly which ones) but one was a SR+ (no badge but confirmed with owner) and the other P-.

iirc, the table in OP has Pilots down as summer tyres. Without doing any research, I think I would have preferred them to be MXM4's, which are listed as all season.

Sorry, Camskill are the only online people I have used.

Ah, I'm guessing you bought those exact 18" PS4S tires from them? If so, can you check if they're MFS (Maximum Flange Shield) or FSL (Flange Shield), or maybe neither? Should hopefully be written on the tire sidewall if you're not sure.

Interesting, looks like a good idea. You can get Alloy Gators for the Rims, which might do a similar job?

Ah that looks interesting! Wonder how well they work.

So I had a look at a couple of brand new Model 3's. Both were shod with 18" aeros and Pilots (not sure exactly which ones) but one was a SR+ (no badge but confirmed with owner) and the other P-.

Does anyone have links to resources for winter Michelin Pilot reviews. The linked table blanks useful categories with simply "Winter" and many other conversations regarding winter suitability often are about the MXM(?) tyres instead so not relevant.

Its the use of the so called maximum performance summer Pilots tyres in UK winters, so cold, damp, wet, ice, occasional snow and slush that Tesla currently seem to be fitting to all (sample set of 2) current deliveries. It will be disappointing if Tesla are delivering a tyre as standard that is not suitable for all season use in UK.

My concern is not so much needing Winter/Summer tyres, but shortage of being able to obtain that combination and also the changeover periods being potentially extreme weather wide, so potentially running winters in +20C and summers at below freezing, yet adjacent conditions time wise.

Does anyone have links to resources for winter Michelin Pilot reviews. The linked table blanks useful categories with simply "Winter" and many other conversations regarding winter suitability often are about the MXM(?) tyres instead so not relevant.

Yes, that annoyed me too when I was compiling the table that there were no winter-themed ratings for summer tires. From my research, all review sites omit those sort of ratings sadly.

You may find this reassuring though.

Do most people in the UK tend to fit summer tires or all-season?

Last edited:
Do most people in the UK tend to fit summer tires or all-season?

I normally replace like for like with what OEM was. Last time I didn't, I reverted back next set. These have always been 'all season' and have never had an issue using them all year round, so I am somewhat nervous with Tesla seemingly supplying high performance summer tyres across the model variants. Unknown territory for me but am planning on getting winters but when I tried this on the past, the availability window is very small so too easy to miss being able to obtain some winters and ending up without - all season would cope with this, don't know if summers would.

the availability window is very small

That was definitely the case some years back, and my local Tyre Guy's supplier is clearly useless (dunno about Autumn, but certainly after Christmas). I needed a replacement in February and he couldn't get anything even half-suitable ...

But Camskill got them to me next day. Probably all other online retailers could have done too.

So hopefully the picture is better than when you last had to look :)