Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have put a little over 700 miles on them, actually finding reasons to drive out even during these funny times to test the tires under different conditions (mainly cold and wet weather). Tires were road-force balanced by best tire shop in the area. No suspension alignment done yet as I will be doing that soon after MPP adjustable coilovers and camber arms are installed; original tires wore and drove well so I don't suspect bad factory alignment.

For perspective, I've had several top-reviewed (on tirerack, for their time) non-OEM tires on other cars, each purchase influenced by the previous one:

Mazda 5 (from factory all-season Yokohamas):
- to Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season: less noise, incredible low rolling-resistance and improved fuel economy, better light snow traction, worse steering feel, worse dry grip

Mazda RX-8 (from factory summer tires):
- to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric summer tires: better grip, especially in rain, less noise, slightly better ride
- to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3: fixed dangerous cold weather issues with summer tires, firm but much better ride, great performance in any weather, great steering feel

Model 3 (from 19" Sport Michelin factory tires):
- to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+: much-improved wet weather grip (essential in rainy northwest, unless I drive like a granny), better breaking performance and grip, great steering feel, somewhat less range, somewhat better ride, tire hum on highway otherwise more silent in city

I still take out the Model 3 with the A/S 3+ for comparison, the A/S 4 is a big improvement in:
- better grip
- not silent but no droning highway hum
- less tire noise overall
- tire construction, sidewall design, and quality is A++
- supposedly consistent grip and noise levels as thread wears down
- supposedly amazing snow performance (not just light snow)

compared to Model Y factory PZero summer tires:
- much better steering feel, incredible confidence on any road / temperature / wet/dry condition; I honestly thought the original set-up with the PZero tires was borderline dangerous on certain less-than-perfect curved roads
- better road manners, less bumpy (honestly at 40-41psi, maybe the MPP suspension is no longer a necessary upgrade for driving my family)
- less steering effort, and this was a big surprise especially with increase to 265mm front tires (my litmus test is my concrete garage; maneuvering in/out of garage with PZero tires was exhausting, made me hate the car)
- there's definitely less noise in all conditions and speeds; the more miles put on the tire, the less noise, and by around 200 miles it was great; when new the rubber was so sticky, I noticed it was picking up so many little rocks in my garage and less-so now.. under 200 miles, that likely negatively impacted range.
- at 700 miles of driving, mainly spirited driving, 70+ on highway, almost always cold and wet conditions, trip computer says 340 Wh/mi; not at all bad, I anticipate better-than-stock numbers in more ideal (and slower driving) conditions; if they perform at a similar Wh/mi than stock (and with the way these tires perform, handle, grip so well in all conditions), that's more than enough as thread wear is significantly better and ultimately saves on car running costs way more than electricity efficiency numbers; if the PZero leads to a crash in cold weather but got 200 Wh/mi avg. driving like a rock, it will not matter.
- wet weather- PZero performed well (incredible full-acceleration grip at 50 deg. heavy rain, in fact) until temps hit below ~40 deg. where it suddenly felt dangerous to drive my family on the highway, was forced to drive slower than traffic and no autopilot to assure safety (PS A/S 4 ordered immediately after); 90% of my driving on these tires has been cold and wet weather, and this tire has been a game-changer for this car; last 2 nights have driven in heavy rain on the highway (we have category 5 atmospheric river now), I have felt slight adjustments to steering from big rain patches on highway, but these tires are very-resistant to hydroplaning and give great confidence in the car's behavior
- grip levels- I've only lost a hint of grip once, which was the 2nd turn out of the tire shop where I hit the throttle; same experience as when I just had A/S 3 installed on my RX-8; what you expect from very new tires .. my hardest grip test for these tires, which is a ~30 deg. uphill stoplight in 40 deg. temps and rain and flooring the throttle as lights turned green (at 85% SOC) had no grip loss whatsoever, just pure, unbelievable acceleration. For comparison the loaner Model S P90D (in ludicrous; I had SC unlock PIN code) I tried on that stoplight (with Michelin Pilot Super Sports) in summer temps with rain had noticeable slip. 40 deg. dry weather grip matches the road grip performance from summer temp PZero tires (and absolutely a big improvement at 40 deg.). Basically, with these tires you'll likely beat anything off the line and in cold rain, it's how badly you want the other guy to rethink his choice of car.

IMG_4157.jpeg

I had these installed on my Y when it only had 100 miles. They were extremely loud so I swapped back to the stock Pirellis (at 600 miles) Wondering if maybe I got a defective set. Everyone else that has them says they were quieter than the stock tires. It was so bad you could barely have a conversation at hwy speeds. The felt on the outside was pretty cool tho!!

Attachments

• 768CC4B6-BD1C-4B87-B3BB-80E994664FFD.jpeg
    768CC4B6-BD1C-4B87-B3BB-80E994664FFD.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 405
I had these installed on my Y when it only had 100 miles. They were extremely loud so I swapped back to the stock Pirellis (at 600 miles) Wondering if maybe I got a defective set. Everyone else that has them says they were quieter than the stock tires. It was so bad you could barely have a conversation at hwy speeds. The felt on the outside was pretty cool tho!!

Not at all my experience with the noise. On my drive home after getting them installed, on the highway I thought they were just a bit noisier than the stock tires, but not at all bad. 2 days later with around 60 miles, it was clearly quieter than stock already.

Are these directional? If so, what would happen if installed backwards, going in the wrong direction when traveling forward? Just throwing it out there...

Update: What happens if you run directional tires backwards? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion suggests more noise if on backwards. Who knows...

Last edited:
Installed a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 265/35r21 and 275/35r21 from Tire Rack at a local top tire shop with road force balance and alignment. The left side of was out of alignment with only 1,488 mi.

It’s immediately apparent that the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s have much better road manners than the stock Pirelli P Zero 4s. The Oct 2020 Pearl White Metallic Model Y is much smoother on the freeway. There seems to be less bounciness as the best way to describe it. There are only 50 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 since the MY is getting wrapped and ceramic coated.

Noise measurements on Apple Watch 6 from the driver’s seat at 70mph on the same stretch of 101N at 70mph with the Pirelli PZ 4 was 62-64db. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 are 64-67db in the first 50 miles. Technically, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 are noisier. The tire shop did over inflate the tires and the warm weather over the weekend really made the tires notably louder than the factory Pirelli PZ 4 at 70db with tire pressure of 46psi. The result was a boomy drone at 70mph. Check the tire pressure if you’re experiencing noise issues with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4.

The PNCS noise reduction technology (foam) on the Pirelli PZ 4s does make a slight difference. The tone and noise level seems to be more consistent across various surfaces.

I believed you used the Michelin Ride Guarantee to swap back... How does that work? Did you go through Tire Rack? I’m curious and selfishly considering the 4S Max Performance Summer version with Acoustic Noise Technology. I’m in California so the advantage of all seasons is minimal. Decided we aren’t going to venture out to Tahoe this year after all.

I believed you used the Michelin Ride Guarantee to swap back... How does that work? Did you go through Tire Rack? I’m curious and selfishly considering the 4S Max Performance Summer version with Acoustic Noise Technology. I’m in California so the advantage of all seasons is minimal. Decided we aren’t going to venture out to Tahoe this year after all.

I purchased my tires from discount tire. They were unable to assist me since I didn’t need a new set. I dealt with Michelin directly. The biggest issue was getting the full refund. They wanted to replace the tires with new tires. I didn’t need new tires since my factory tires only had 50 miles on them. They understood and agreed to the reimbursement.

Tire Rack was happy to assist me with the Michelin test ride aka 60 day manufacture warranty. I had to order a new set of Michelin or BF Goodrich tires to qualify. That charge will be refunded the value of the Pilot Sport All Season 4. There are still very limited tire options for the MY PUP. Tire Rack does have a SKU for Pilot Sport AS4 with Acoustic Tech, but no stock or estimated date. I went with the Pilot Sport 4S with Acoustic Tech 265/35/R21 & 275/35/R21. After tax it was about $100 more total.

It will be interesting comparing the two tires, and Pirelli P Zero 4 coming on my second MY PUP scheduled for March delivery. I’m keeping tabs on the road noise and energy efficiency. Right now the AS4 are down to 291Wh/mi lifetime. It’s been trending down with the AS4 since the PZ4. My hope is the Pilot Sport 4S will have the improved ride and noise level with the Acoustic Tech.

Today I swapped out the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Total Performance summer tire. I took advantage of the Michelin test ride manufacture warranty which allow returns for up to 60 days if you are unsatisfied for any reason. Living in California there was not much need for the all season unless I planned Tahoe trips with the MY PUP. I figured I’d give the class leading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S a try.

The Michelin manufacture warranty allows for return if you are not satisfied in the first 60 days. TireRack.com handled the exchange process. The first step is to contact customer service and inform them of your decision to return. Then I placed a new order for 265/35R21 & 275/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with Acoustic Technology (aka foam). The PS 4S with Acoustic Technology had to be ordered through an adviser. Online search did not return results. I had the tires delivered and installed at a TireRack.com recommended top installer. You are instructed to take the old tires home with you. All four tires easily fit in the rear with the seats down. TireRack.com requires the tires be picked up from a residential address. TireRack.com customer service will coordinate UPS pick up at your home address with no charge. Amazing hassle free service from TireRack.com and by transition Michelin.

My initial impression of the Pilot Sport 4S was surprising. I was expecting little to no difference between the AS4 and PS4S since I’m not on a track. The big standout was the improved smoothness of the PS4S. They are even less jarring than the AS4 which was already an improvement over the stock Pirelli P Zero 4. I’d attribute this to a better sidewall. I would say I’m very happy with the ride of MY PUP on the PS4S. On to noise. The PS4S have Acoustic Technology so I expected reduction in road noise. In my short 6 mile circuit, the PS4S with Acoustic Tech have the same noise measurement from my Apple Watch 6 of 67-70db. Granted this is the first several miles where the AS4 had 600 miles. The Acoustic Technology may be responsible for changing the tone of the tire noise to a more pleasing frequency though. Initially, I thought the PS4S were markedly quieter than the AS4 until I measured them. The key thing here is I’m measuring the overall cabin noise, so many factors go into the overall noise level (e.g. wind). Both tires may produce low enough tire noise that it’s not significant enough to truly impact the sound level. Last comment on noise, the Acoustic Technology really does well with toning down impact noise. The car sounds better built and more substantial going over road imperfections and reflectors.

These were just installed today to replace the original Pirelli P Zero 4 (ELECT) summer tires. The PZ tires were great and were impressively grippy in the rain, even heavy rain on hard acceleration, until recently when temperatures dropped below 50 degrees when they sometimes feel scary at speed. PZ tires had under 2500 miles when they were replaced. Curbed one front wheel last week and there was no curb protection whatsoever (see pics for comparison); fortunately it didn't cost much to repair it locally and came out perfect.

The new tires have a surprising velvet sidewall texture and differed from all product photos of this tire. Michelin confirmed via chat that these tires do have the velvet sidewall. They're laser-etched, reflect light based on direction, have a suede-ish texture, and give a premium look. Here it is on the Pilot Sport 4S Limited Edition: https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=509&tab=Tires

These were only installed today, but first impressions are very good; steering feel and response is outstanding, and cold-weather wet grip, even while new is a big difference from the OEM tires. Very confidence-inspiring for sure. Car is also less bumpy and there's less noise.

As for the 265mm front tires (255/35 not available for these tires until next winter supposedly), they suit the car very well; car feels as agile, if not more than the original summer tires which sometimes felt very hard to steer; as a bonus the extra width and the PS A/S4's rim protection should protect the wheels better from curbing.

View attachment 615782 View attachment 615783 View attachment 615784 View attachment 615785 View attachment 615786 View attachment 615787

old Pirelli's and lack of protection against curb rash:
View attachment 615788 View attachment 615789

These were just installed today to replace the original Pirelli P Zero 4 (ELECT) summer tires. The PZ tires were great and were impressively grippy in the rain, even heavy rain on hard acceleration, until recently when temperatures dropped below 50 degrees when they sometimes feel scary at speed. PZ tires had under 2500 miles when they were replaced. Curbed one front wheel last week and there was no curb protection whatsoever (see pics for comparison); fortunately it didn't cost much to repair it locally and came out perfect.

The new tires have a surprising velvet sidewall texture and differed from all product photos of this tire. Michelin confirmed via chat that these tires do have the velvet sidewall. They're laser-etched, reflect light based on direction, have a suede-ish texture, and give a premium look. Here it is on the Pilot Sport 4S Limited Edition: https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=509&tab=Tires

These were only installed today, but first impressions are very good; steering feel and response is outstanding, and cold-weather wet grip, even while new is a big difference from the OEM tires. Very confidence-inspiring for sure. Car is also less bumpy and there's less noise.

As for the 265mm front tires (255/35 not available for these tires until next winter supposedly), they suit the car very well; car feels as agile, if not more than the original summer tires which sometimes felt very hard to steer; as a bonus the extra width and the PS A/S4's rim protection should protect the wheels better from curbing.

View attachment 615782 View attachment 615783 View attachment 615784 View attachment 615785 View attachment 615786 View attachment 615787

old Pirelli's and lack of protection against curb rash:
View attachment 615788 View attachment 615789

Thank You. Beautiful tires. But, these are max performance summer tires.

Thank You for the clarification!

My post was comparing the Pilot Sport All Season 4 to the Pilot Sport 4S Max Performance Summer tire. Specifically, the Michelin Acoustic Technology which is only available on the Pilot Sport 4S to date.

tl;dr The brand new 4S with Acoustic Tech are the same numerical loudness measurement as the All Season 4. However, the perceived noise is lower because there is a change in the tone to more of a white noise. The 4S ride really smooth.

Additional Info:
  • The Pilot Sport 4S with Acoustic Technology do not have the swanky velvet touch sidewall.
  • The Pilot Sport 4S have a 30K tread wear warranty and supposed to wear really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedkidd
Does the 265 setup in the front and the standard 275 setup in the back mess with the speedometer reading at all? I definitely want the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season but was trying to wait for them to release the standard 255's for the front.

I recently purchased the Pilot Sport All Season for my rear tires (275/35/21)...... The Pirelli rears only lasted 15k miles for me. I am still running the original Pirelli’s on the front though and they are still at 7/32 at 18k miles. When the time comes, I intend to replace the front Pirelli’s with the Pilot Sport 4S at same 255/35/21 size. So, I will have Pilot Sport 4S on front and Pilot Sport All Season on rear.

Does the 265 setup in the front and the standard 275 setup in the back mess with the speedometer reading at all? I definitely want the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season but was trying to wait for them to release the standard 255's for the front.

Only about 1% difference, or less than 1mph at 80mph. Probably within the margin of error for the Tesla speedometer.

Tire Size Calculator

Reactions: MBx4