Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in the OEM sizes, those are in development per TireRack and they are taking Preorders, but per a TireRack rep earlier this week there was no ETA on when TireRack would receive. "Next Year" was the only time discussed.

When I spoke with DiscountTire earlier this week, There is a Pirelli All Season, the Scorpion Verde in the 265/40/21 & 285/40/21 in-stock.
Thanks for the info. Did the rep say 40 will fit performance with no rubbing?

Just to be on the same page as everyone here, the issue is finding the Pilot Sport All Season 4 - 275 /35 R21 103Y XL tires correct?
Or are the 265/35R21 101Y XLs getting hard to find as well?

Anyone have any other configurations in mind as far as sizes and these all seasons? I've seen some ppl here try different configs out I just cant pick one I'm strongly sure about trying,

I'm trying my best to not purchase a winter tire/wheel package as i strongly believe all seasons should be enough for me also easier on the pockets. Thoughts?
I think all are in short supply but many on this thread are looking to increase to the 40 profile. If I can’t end up finding AS4s in 265/40/21 and 285/40/21, my next target is 265/35/21 and 295/35/21. Don’t know yet if those are as hard to find but know several have put the 295/35 on the rear of the MYP without issue.

Reactions: SweetLou126
I run a mix of the sizes listed above, namely:

F. 265/40R21
R. 295/35R21

No rubbing. Sidewall height F—>R almost identical.

Keep in mind that the 21” Uberturbines are 1” (25.4mm) wider in the rear than they are in the front (10.5” vs 9.5”) so 30mm wider tires makes a lot of sense and result in an almost identical relationship between wheel and tire on both axles. The upsized dimensions (from OEM) serve to eliminate the s_t_r_e_t_c_h_e_d appearance of the OEM spec while also adding a measure of ride improvement and damage resistance while also filling out the wheel wells for a more athletic stance (ok, that last one is a bit subjective, but I like it).

While technically feasible, I would not recommend running 275/35R21 all around given the significant wheel width difference: there will be a significant difference in appearance from front to rear.

Others have opted to run a 285/40R21 spec on the rear which is also a great choice (overall a bit taller but slightly less wide).

Good luck with your choice and, even more so, with finding your chosen spec in stock. Stay well.

9BB1A605-E337-4D25-8A3E-8BE5601AA941.jpeg

38E570BB-9B9C-45B7-BA16-5079CFB815AB.jpeg

F. 265/40R21
R. 295/35R21

Keep in mind that the 21” Uberturbines are 1” (25.4mm) wider in the rear than they are in the front (10.5” vs 9.5”) so 30mm wider tires makes a lot of sense and result in an almost identical relationship between wheel and tire on both axles. The upsized dimensions (from OEM) serve to eliminate the s_t_r_e_t_c_h_e_d appearance of the OEM spec while also adding a measure of ride improvement and damage resistance while also filling out the wheel wells for a more athletic stance (ok, that last one is a bit subjective, but I like it).

While technically feasible, I would not recommend running 275/35R21 all around given the significant wheel width difference: there will be a significant difference in appearance from front to rear.

Others have opted to run a 285/40R21 spec on the rear which is also a great choice (overall a bit taller but slightly less wide).

Good luck with your choice and, even more so, with finding your chosen spec in stock. Stay well.

View attachment 735067
View attachment 735068
Just ordered your size set up.

Only difference is that I had to go with Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ tires. I’m active duty and the tire shop on base has a sale, buy 3 get one free. Couldn’t get the Michelins.

Scorpion Zero AS+
265/40/21
295/35/21

DiscountTire told me yesterday they only show two Michelin AS4 285/40/21s available in North America at a shop in Canada. They said they would try to transfer them but that sounds like the ultimate long shot. It appears the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 may be available soon from TireRack in 265/40/21 and 295/35/21. Does anyone have experience with these to know how they compare to the AS4s in ride, durability and wet/light snow handling?

DiscountTire told me yesterday they only show two Michelin AS4 285/40/21s available in North America at a shop in Canada. They said they would try to transfer them but that sounds like the ultimate long shot. It appears the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 may be available soon from TireRack in 265/40/21 and 295/35/21. Does anyone have experience with these to know how they compare to the AS4s in ride, durability and wet/light snow handling?
It’s pretty incredible how quickly the supply dwindled. I bought them 3 weeks ago and could literally choose any shop… now two tires in all of NA? Crazy.

It’s pretty incredible how quickly the supply dwindled. I bought them 3 weeks ago and could literally choose any shop… now two tires in all of NA? Crazy.
I remember when you placed you order and here i was was holding off waiting to see if there were any black Friday deals coming up. I believe you or someone else told me discount tire would price match and that's when i started to get more serious about ordering them and by then the sold out started happening lol.

Reactions: Canyonero
I was pretty bummed out the AS4s are hard to come by but I saw a video on youtube and it shows
how the Model Y performance with the stock 21" summer tires performed in the cold and snow and
surprisingly it handled really well. I live in NY and definitely affected by cold and snow.

Here is the video:

I think I will hold off on ordering All Season tires until I noticed an issue driving in the cold and snow.
The summer performance tires while not recommended to drive in freezing and snow conditions did exceptionally well.
I'm not recommending this as the best solution, the best solution is to opt for winter or AS tires.
Good luck to everyone.

I remember when you placed you order and here i was was holding off waiting to see if there were any black Friday deals coming up. I believe you or someone else told me discount tire would price match and that's when i started to get more serious about ordering them and by then the sold out started happening lol.
Yeah that was me. Yeah I didn’t imagine it would move this fast.

Best of luck, hopefully a new shipment comes in quick!

Reactions: SweetLou126
I was pretty bummed out the AS4s are hard to come by but I saw a video on youtube and it shows
how the Model Y performance with the stock 21" summer tires performed in the cold and snow and
surprisingly it handled really well. I live in NY and definitely affected by cold and snow.

Here is the video:

I think I will hold off on ordering All Season tires until I noticed an issue driving in the cold and snow.
The summer performance tires while not recommended to drive in freezing and snow conditions did exceptionally well.
I'm not recommending this as the best solution, the best solution is to opt for winter or AS tires.
Good luck to everyone.

yikes… running summer tires in the winter… i hope you dont kill anyone

Tire rack did a test on the DWS-06 Plus... They literally beat the Pilot Sport AS4 in almost every category... Better dry grip, better wet grip, lower lap times, and quieter ride. I've been running the DWS since the very first generation came out.. Same with the Pilot Sport A/S... The older gen, the Pilot Sport A/S had slightly better dry grip, but apparently according to Tire Rack, that is not the case anymore... But DWS have always had waaaay better snow grip...

Tire rack Test results

yikes… running summer tires in the winter… i hope you dont kill anyone
Yeah I understand. I will definitely monitor how the car reacts in the cold/ice and snow condition.
If I see any potential of not being safe, I will stop driving the car and install the AS4 ASAP (hopefully available).
Luckily I do have a second car with AS4s (19") and can always drive that one.

Yeah I understand. I will definitely monitor how the car reacts in the cold/ice and snow condition.
If I see any potential of not being safe, I will stop driving the car and install the AS4 ASAP (hopefully available).
Luckily I do have a second car with AS4s (19") and can always drive that one.
If you want a good indicator, fill a gallon jug of water... Take it with you to a parking lot when it's cold... and wet the pavement, and try to accelerate... You will fishtail like crazy, no matter how you try to feather the accelerator, especially if you are turning.

But the other thing to consider, is how you'll damage your summer tires... Even if you don't have any mishaps, driving on summer tires in the cold, can cause permanent damage to the tires, becuase the treads can crack, and chunks of the tread/shoulder can break off the tire as you drive on them.

If you want a good indicator, fill a gallon jug of water... Take it with you to a parking lot when it's cold... and wet the pavement, and try to accelerate... You will fishtail like crazy, no matter how you try to feather the accelerator, especially if you are turning.

But the other thing to consider, is how you'll damage your summer tires... Even if you don't have any mishaps, driving on summer tires in the cold, can cause permanent damage to the tires, becuase the treads can crack, and chunks of the tread/shoulder can break off the tire as you drive on them.
Good point in regards to treads cracking eventually in extreme cold and harsh road.
In regards to the jug of water in parking lot, I think fishtailing will happen no matter what tires are being used.
Currently the stock on the AS4 are not available so I will have to wait until available, but since my car is fairly new with only 900 miles on it.
I will be ok for a couple of months.

Here is the video:

Good luck to everyone.
That guys an idiot. That compound is only rated to 45F. As has been written over and over, do not do this as its really dangerous.

In regards to the jug of water in parking lot, I think fishtailing will happen no matter what tires are being used.
Not really. I originally switched from Pilot Sport Summers to Pilot Sport A/S because of the fishtailing when it was cold. When I switched to the Pilot Sport A/S, the fishtailing went away completely... When I had summer tires, it was extremely hard to accelerate up to speed on the main blvd from the side street without fishtailing everywhere, despite how much I feathered the gas. It was most prominent when there was morning dew on the road... When I had switched to the Pilot Sport A/S, I was able to accelerate onto the main blvd like it was any other spring day.

Not really. I originally switched from Pilot Sport Summers to Pilot Sport A/S because of the fishtailing when it was cold. When I switched to the Pilot Sport A/S, the fishtailing went away completely... When I had summer tires, it was extremely hard to accelerate up to speed on the main blvd from the side street without fishtailing everywhere, despite how much I feathered the gas. It was most prominent when there was morning dew on the road... When I had switched to the Pilot Sport A/S, I was able to accelerate onto the main blvd like it was any other spring day.
Ok understand your experience. Now was this based on a Model Y Performance or another car?

Ok understand your experience. Now was this based on a Model Y Performance or another car?
I've had this experience on two different cars, granted neither was my Y, since I just got mine a few months ago... But why does it matter? These are properties of the tire, not the car... You can have a car with the absolute best traction/stability control system in the world, it's not going to make much difference in this regard... You can drive as carefully as you want, but you would still be one panic stop or one emergency maneuver away from potentially wrecking your car and hurting yourself or someone else. My neighbor had the same attitude with his Audi S4. I told him not to run summer tires in the winter, but he kept insisting his AWD system would be fine... One winter, he slid sideways, jumped a curb and slammed into a retaining wall on the way down the hill from our neighborhood.

F. 265/40R21
R. 295/35R21

View attachment 735067
View attachment 735068
those look great! increased width potentially reduces range.. do you happen to notice any?