Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great News. Is there only one charger at this time? Do you think they plan to have more? Have you seen/used it yet? Sorry so many questions, But I think this would be huge for some people due to the centrality of the location. Might get them to come out and reduce range anxiety.

@wmgill

As per Lansing Board of Water and Light, there is only one HPWC at this time. They disclosed the info during planning of Plug-In Day event. I personally haven't used it. There is also another 240 v outlet nearby it. I agree this is huge, for north-south and east-west travel. As noted in the post, owner has given ok for public use. Really a nice gesture to fellow owners. Little note on PEP chargers, I have PEP chargers in my hospital parking lot and Tesla doesn't charge from it.

Tesla Model S Test Drive Event

Tesla will again have a Model S test drive event at Westin in Southfield on October 4, 2013. Please click the link below for more information.

Test Drive Model S in Detroit! | Events | Tesla Motors

I'm confused about the location of National Plugin Day in Ann Arbor area.
I see this mentioned here: same day and time.

Saline Oktoberfest
South Ann Arbor Street (Access via Henry St)
Saline, MI, United States

and found this as well.
Washtenaw Community College
4800 E Huron River Drive
Ann Arbor, MI, United States

- - - Updated - - -

here is the info on both locations for National Plug In Day.

http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=103
http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=97

Has anyone on this thread used this charger yet or at least seen it? Just curious.

Also, anyone have any news on TESLA charging stations in Michigan?

Lansing HPWC is now Open:

Below is a picture of where the ramp is approximately located, it may be in the green space). It is located off of 127 just North of Lansing. The address is NCG Cinema, 2500 Showtime Dr, Lansing Charter Township, MI 48906. This picture does not have the ramp, but trust me it is already built. J Again, this is in the far north end of Eastwood Town Center. The Tesla Charger is located on the second floor. The ramp is not officially open, but the owner has given the okay for electrical vehicle owners to use the charger. There is also a dual PEP Station available for charging.

View attachment 31221

Have any of the owners in West Michigan had the HPWC installed yet? If so, I'd like to hear more about how it was done-any prep work, recommendations on electricians, rebates from power companies, etc. You can post here or message me. Thanks.

I had my HPWC installed in my garage back in June. Consumers Energy reimbursed the cost of the HWPC and the installation. Reimbursement is limited to $2500 and to the first 2500 applicants, so I am not sure how long before they run out of funds, but the offer is still listed on their website; http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=3363. Quite a bit of required documentation, so check out the form to ensure you collect the necessary receipts, inspection reports, etc. Not sure if the HPWC was approved by UL or another recognized lab, but for my application, Consumers did not require proof of this.

I was not overly impressed with my electrician, but can provide his name if you wish. I had the electrician put in a 100 amp circuit which requires fairly heavy gauge wire. It is in a long run of conduit from the circuit box to the garage, but since that part of my basement is unfinished, it wasn't too difficult or expensive. As long as the total cost stayed under $2500, I was not concerned.

Very glad I did this, not just because it turned out to be free, but it is also very convenient for plugging in at night.

I had my HPWC installed in my garage back in June. Consumers Energy reimbursed the cost of the HWPC and the installation. Reimbursement is limited to $2500 and to the first 2500 applicants, so I am not sure how long before they run out of funds, but the offer is still listed on their website; http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=3363. Quite a bit of required documentation, so check out the form to ensure you collect the necessary receipts, inspection reports, etc. Not sure if the HPWC was approved by UL or another recognized lab, but for my application, Consumers did not require proof of this.

I was not overly impressed with my electrician, but can provide his name if you wish. I had the electrician put in a 100 amp circuit which requires fairly heavy gauge wire. It is in a long run of conduit from the circuit box to the garage, but since that part of my basement is unfinished, it wasn't too difficult or expensive. As long as the total cost stayed under $2500, I was not concerned.

Very glad I did this, not just because it turned out to be free, but it is also very convenient for plugging in at night.

I had a similar experience. Basically, electricians want to install the least expensive charging solutions (a basic J1772 30 AMP unit) because their fee for time and material is capped at $2,500.00.

Is anyone switching to winter tires? Which ones?

- - - Updated - - -

P85+ Black/Black for sale - 1141 miles - Michigan

This owner is planning to sell Model S P85+ car that is recently bought. Vehicle is in pristine condition with 1141 miles, car was delivered only three weeks ago. Here are the details:

Model S P85+
Performance Plus
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic roof
21'' Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Performance Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Decor
Matching Yacht Floor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Twin Chargers
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package
Smart Suspension
Parking Sensors
Fog Lamps
Ultra High Fidelity Sound System
Alcantara Headliner
Rear Facing Seats
Premium Interior Lighting

If you are interested in purchasing this vehicle, contact ([email protected] or 248-761-7787) for more details. Original sale price for this car was over 125k and it is delivered only three weeks ago.

Hi folks, uploading a sticker that you can use to paste on your front or rear windscreen glass.
image.jpg

I had my first experience with regen limiting today, or may be the first that I noticed. I have seen the line few times but didn't know what that meant and it was always at sufficient KW range so didn't notice any change in driving behavior. It suddenly got very cold in Michigan today. Temp was around 15 F, don't know what was it with wind chill. Car was parked for 10 hours. I had no idea regen limiting happens, so drove normally and then realized the change. Thought I might have changed it to low regen, nope not the case. Then I saw the yellow triangle, regen failed. Was scared till I came back and started browsing TMC. I drove for 10 miles or so, but regen never came back. It is scary and dangerous that car behavior changes so much and this suddenly, esp for an unsuspecting driver like me. Tesla needs to educate about this phenomenon. I don't know whether regen limit behavior has been changed in latest release? I upgraded the software as soon as it came out. Good thing is now I know what to expect in frigid conditions. I don't think so it will get any worse than this in winter (Temp wise). I have 60 kWh, and I think not having regen will be a big factor for folks with 60 kWh. There will be significant range limitation. I hit 400 kWh in my commute, which is usually 320 kWh. See the discussion in this TMC post.

Regen limitation in cold weather - Page 3

Last edited:
Below is the list of activities our club members have participated over the last few months. The list is available at our TMC page. If you have participated in any EV shows or have showcased your car to a large group to educate them about Tesla or EV in general then please let us know. We can include that into the list, this will give us ideas for future event. We all represent the club. Thank you for your support and continued enthusiasm.

(1) Michigan Electric Vehicle Show (MEAA event) : Saturday, June 8, 2013
(2) Mayor's Green Fair (Ann Arbor) (MEAA event): Friday, June 12, 2013 [plan was to feature Tesla in the display, however couldn't arrange one]
(3) Saline Celtic Festival (MEAA event) : Saturday, July 13, 2013
(4) Concours d'elegance EV Class: Sunday, July 28, 2013
(5) Car & Driver Tesla Feature : August 2013
(6) Meijer Car Show: Saturday, August 2, 2013
(7) Saline Summerfest EV Show (MEAA event): Saturday, August 10, 2013
(8) Woodward Dream Cruise and Tesla Model S Test Drive: Saturday, August 17, 2013
(9) 28th Street Metro Cruise (Grand Rapids): August 24, 2013
(10) Washtenaw Community College Car Show: Saturday, September 14, 2013
(11) National Plug-In Day 2013: Saturday, September 27, 2013
(12) EV Expo at ITC (Farmington Hills): Monday, October 14, 2013
(13) Monroe Community College Tech Center: Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Last edited:
@ohaq
Mishawaka,IN looks pretty much ready to open. I agree very near to the Benton Harbor, but I think there is need for both. Benton Harbor serving Detroit-Chicago (I-94) corridor and Mishawaka serving Chicago-Cleveland (I-90) corridor. Next one to look out for, Jackson and Toledo.