Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Atlantic Superchargers (speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news, they're coming! A new WaWa is being built in Pocomoke City, MD which will have 8 chargers. Probably a couple years away unfortunately. I wouldnt be surprised if we got chargers near Chincoteague, Va either.

I really would love to see chargers in Emporia. There is nothing on route 58 coming from Va Beach/Norfolk area.
Thanks! Happy to see that Pocomoke is at least on the list.

And totally agree with you on Emporia. I've spent many a day on Rt 58 between Danville/South Boston, VA and Va Beach/Norfolk. The SC in SoBo is a decent one at a Sheetz, while the one in South Hill is horrible.

I'd like to see a proper Supercharger convenient to BWI airport near Balt MD. There's one on the way from the South, but it's a Destination charger, so only 75 kW. I've always thought they were a pretty silly idea. It's also listed as "heavily used", so it would make sense to upgrade them. Otherwise, I have to go past the airport, charge, then double back to the airport.

The airport has some level 3 charging, but I don't have the new adapter. This would be the only place it would be used. I've talked to the airport, but they seem to be focused on getting grants and less on what their customers need.

Heck, a level 1 charger would be perfect for use in the long term lot while parked. I don't think the airport person even knows what a level 1 charger is.

I'm with you. FWIW, there's a destination charger (2 actually!) at the Denny's on Ridge Road - which is pretty close to the airport. There's also a supercharger coming soon to a new Royal Farms on Rt. 175 in Jessup, though that's probably farther south than ideal.

Does anyone have any details on the 4 central/eastern VA coming soon chargers? Additional stations in Colonial Heights and Petersburg, one in Suffolk, and another along 95/1/301 in Stony Creek. All show as targeted Q4 opening.

It’s nice to see Tesla starting to build out 58/460 more with Suffolk, but do we really need more chargers along 95/1/301 when 288 corridor along 64, 60, and 360 is still barren?

Great news, they're coming! A new WaWa is being built in Pocomoke City, MD which will have 8 chargers. Probably a couple years away unfortunately. I wouldnt be surprised if we got chargers near Chincoteague, Va either.

I really would love to see chargers in Emporia. There is nothing on route 58 coming from Va Beach/Norfolk area.

Does anyone else see the humor in adding charging to new gas stations?

There are two larger stations just built near me. I guess, even though BEVs are around 5% of the total cars on the roads in the US (or do I have that wrong?) there's still local expansion, where they are building homes?

I'm with you. FWIW, there's a destination charger (2 actually!) at the Denny's on Ridge Road - which is pretty close to the airport. There's also a supercharger coming soon to a new Royal Farms on Rt. 175 in Jessup, though that's probably farther south than ideal.

Yeah, destination chargers are level 2, meaning overnight charging. If it were an Urban charger, that would be much better.

The real problem with all the fast chargers is they are just a little too fast, to get a proper meal, and a little too slow when you want to get somewhere! lol

Dump of superchargers here:

Feel free to make appropriate threads. I did most of the rural ones (where there isn't one existing yet).
12(!) new supercharging sites just in PA, mostly funded by the feds? Wow!

GetGo in Monroeville (I-376, Exit 84 A-B)

Tesla Charging Hub in Breezewood; (I-70, Exit 147)

Giant Eagle in Meadville (I-79, Exit 147 A-B)

(Coming) Wawa in Summerdale (I-81, Exit 65A)

Royal Farms in Aston (I-95, Exit 2)

Wawa in Woodlyn (I-476, Exit 1)

Sheetz in Waynesburg (I-79, Exit 14)

Wawa in Scranton (I-81, Exit 184)

Sheetz in Clarks Summit (I-476, Exit 132)

Sheetz in New Castle (I-376, Exit 13)

Wawa in Lansdale (I-476, Exit 31)

Shrewsbury Commons in York (I-83, Exit 4)

My assumption is all will have magic doc in order to claim universal compatibility in order to be eligible for funds.

Last edited:
Dump of superchargers here:

Feel free to make appropriate threads. I did most of the rural ones (where there isn't one existing yet).

In the real world, all charger information needs to be in the car, on the screen. Using a cell phone or computer to find charging points is somewhat less than optimal. Even better is if the car just tells you where you can charge. Isn't that how all EVs work?

Still no high speed L3 charger in Blacksburg, VA
Even with the Fed money
Waiting on the local Sheetz

For now, only EVGO L3 at 10-30kw speed :(
Lots of public L2s at 6-10 kw but I cannot leave the T there all day

Still no high speed L3 charger in Blacksburg, VA
Even with the Fed money
Waiting on the local Sheetz

For now, only EVGO L3 at 10-30kw speed :(
Lots of public L2s at 6-10 kw but I cannot leave the T there all day

My brother lives next door to a hospital where the parking deck has a few L2 chargers. When I visit, I park overnight and charge there, moving my car in the morning.

My brother lives next door to a hospital where the parking deck has a few L2 chargers. When I visit, I park overnight and charge there, moving my car in the morning.
I understand but for such an amazing place such as Blacksburg with Virginia Tech, no Tesla Supercgarger let alone no high speed level 3? Crazy
I see a lot of EVs where I am in town
The need is there

Again, waiting on the Sheetz/Tesla build

I understand but for such an amazing place such as Blacksburg with Virginia Tech, no Tesla Supercgarger let alone no high speed level 3? Crazy
I see a lot of EVs where I am in town
The need is there

Again, waiting on the Sheetz/Tesla build

You are preaching to the choir. I used to drive weekly on Rt 15/29 from Maryland to my place in Virginia near Lake Anna. They have a Supercharger at Haymarket, which is about halfway, then nothing until you reach Charlottesville. I turn off at Culpeper, a city of adequate size, but no Supercharger. Then they put in a Supercharger someplace that's not even 10 miles north of the Supercharger in Charlottesville. Then, another one at Madison, only another 15 miles north. A much more logical place would have been Culpeper, a hub of multiple roads and highways. They've added Superchargers in other locations, further north, so now, there are almost as many on Rt 29 as there are on Rt 95!
Maybe this is just something personal with me, but it seems like the Supercharger placement has to do with things, other than where they would be most useful.

A great amount of info there, thanks!

Looking at the data, Tesla is on the low end ($200K) per site while TA is $1M. With that I wonder if TA is planning on a lot more chargers per site with Tesla going with their 8 or 12 standard?

From what I've read, $200,000 is the installed cost of a single Tesla Supercharger. But maybe I misunderstood. Still, there's a significant difference in the dollar figures with different owners.

I can't think why anyone would put in more than 8 to 12 units per service station. There just aren't that many EVs on the roads presently. They can always add more as demand ramps. The Superchargers at Glen Allan started with just 8 and got bumped up to 20 now.

Virginia Tech is a major USA university, medical and vet school center
We need a high speed L3 at the middle of the diagram, right off 81 in Christiansburg VA
1692130341417.png

The EVGo that’s there is a pathetic 10-30kw, think 3-4 stall unit
Terrible, I had to call EVGO to get it to start

Interesting. Got my Masters at Tech back in '81, so am a bit familiar with the area.

Whole SW corner of VA seems more than a bit on the scant side with respect to SC's.

Hmm.. Until about a year and a half or so ago, there were very few Superchargers in Ohio, and what there were, were in the parking lots of Meyers department stores (think: Like Walmart, but out-competes Walmart, and has been around for ages.)

Had the distinct impression that this was due to a certain conservative attitude in the Ohio state legislature, along the lines of, "We don't believe in the llliiiibbeeraalll bunch of hooey on climate change! It's going to be gasoline forever!", where "liberal" is spoken like a curse word. Kind of like Florida or, I guess, Montana, where No Consideration of Climate Change Is Allowed In the Government.

For what appears to have been several reasons, not the least of which has probably been the repetitive failure of the old Ford plant in Lordstown to make anything of itself, the log jams in that state appear to have broken, with various Tesla and other DCFCs going in along the I80/I90 rest stops.

While Nothern VA is pretty blueish, I've always had the impression that the rest of the state (outside of the college towns) was pretty blame red. Has there been a concerted effort by the local politicians and/or car dealerships to keep DCFSs out?