Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Atlantic Superchargers (speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Virginia Tech is a major USA university, medical and vet school center
We need a high speed L3 at the middle of the diagram, right off 81 in Christiansburg VA
View attachment 965216
The EVGo that’s there is a pathetic 10-30kw, think 3-4 stall unit
Terrible, I had to call EVGO to get it to start

What we perceive as need, is not always the same as what Tesla or others see as need.

I've always hated the low end L3 chargers. They literally have no purpose. The only time I'm ok with the 75 kW Tesla Urban chargers is when I want to charge while getting a bite. They take another 10 minutes to top me off, so I don't need to rush eating so much.

Interesting. Got my Masters at Tech back in '81, so am a bit familiar with the area.

Whole SW corner of VA seems more than a bit on the scant side with respect to SC's.

Hmm.. Until about a year and a half or so ago, there were very few Superchargers in Ohio, and what there were, were in the parking lots of Meyers department stores (think: Like Walmart, but out-competes Walmart, and has been around for ages.)

Had the distinct impression that this was due to a certain conservative attitude in the Ohio state legislature, along the lines of, "We don't believe in the llliiiibbeeraalll bunch of hooey on climate change! It's going to be gasoline forever!", where "liberal" is spoken like a curse word. Kind of like Florida or, I guess, Montana, where No Consideration of Climate Change Is Allowed In the Government.

For what appears to have been several reasons, not the least of which has probably been the repetitive failure of the old Ford plant in Lordstown to make anything of itself, the log jams in that state appear to have broken, with various Tesla and other DCFCs going in along the I80/I90 rest stops.

While Nothern VA is pretty blueish, I've always had the impression that the rest of the state (outside of the college towns) was pretty blame red. Has there been a concerted effort by the local politicians and/or car dealerships to keep DCFSs out?

What does a state legislature have to do with installing EV charging?

Politicians who have Major Donors who are Auto Dealer owners. Until recently, the Dealerships just hated Tesla and everything about them and lobbied against anything that would benefit Tesla. Like Superchargers.

In Ohio, I think the change in attitude appeared roughly when legacy car manufacturers started making their own, non-compliance BEVs.

But this kind of thinking seems to be associated with.. well.. the anti-enviromental crowd, which seems clustered amongst the far right. Not all conservatives think that way, of course, but there's a good-sized crowd that does.

Reactions: preilly44
Christiansburg was identified as being a needed location to fill the gap along the commonwealth’s Alternate Fuel Corridors. Gonna be a while before those new NEVI stations actually get built though

I just drove 81 from 40 all the way to 460 and yeah, Wytheville was very busy, and Bristol TN was not working correctly, but it is still easy to make the trek between the two Bristol stations, the in-construction Abingdon, Atkins, and Wytheville up to Salem. Just had to do a deeper charge in Wytheville to make it to Salem. Yeah, Christansburg really needs two stations, one at Rt 6 and the other along the Motor Mile, but at least the Roanoke station is done; just waiting to be turned on. Hopefully they’ll continue the build out down 81 next year. Honestly though, I’m happy to see what looks like the Rt 58 corridor be built out more with the Franklin station in permitting and Danville being on the voting list.

Last edited:
Politicians who have Major Donors who are Auto Dealer owners. Until recently, the Dealerships just hated Tesla and everything about them and lobbied against anything that would benefit Tesla. Like Superchargers.

In Ohio, I think the change in attitude appeared roughly when legacy car manufacturers started making their own, non-compliance BEVs.

But this kind of thinking seems to be associated with.. well.. the anti-enviromental crowd, which seems clustered amongst the far right. Not all conservatives think that way, of course, but there's a good-sized crowd that does.
Sorry, you didn't answer the question. Here it is again...

Christiansburg was identified as being a needed location to fill the gap along the commonwealth’s Alternate Fuel Corridors. Gonna be a while before those new NEVI stations actually get built though

I just drove 81 from 40 all the way to 460 and yeah, Wytheville was very busy, and Bristol TN was not working correctly, but it is still easy to make the trek between the two Bristol stations, the in-construction Abingdon, Atkins, and Wytheville up to Salem. Just had to do a deeper charge in Wytheville to make it to Salem. Yeah, Christansburg really needs two stations, one at Rt 6 and the other along the Motor Mile, but at least the Roanoke station is done; just waiting to be turned on. Hopefully they’ll continue the build out down 81 next year. Honestly though, I’m happy to see what looks like the Rt 58 corridor be built out more with the Franklin station in permitting and Danville being on the voting list.

What is a "NEVI"?

These days, I don't pay any attention to the networks other than Tesla. Is NEVI some brand of network? Is there something special about them? I don't give any thought to non-Tesla networks, because they are not integrated yet. The Tesla network shows up in my car and all the worry is taken care of.

I'm thinking I'm showing extreme ignorance of something. LOL

What is a "NEVI"?

These days, I don't pay any attention to the networks other than Tesla. Is NEVI some brand of network? Is there something special about them? I don't give any thought to non-Tesla networks, because they are not integrated yet. The Tesla network shows up in my car and all the worry is taken care of.

I'm thinking I'm showing extreme ignorance of something. LOL
NEVI is the program for moving IRA funds to each state to help build out L3 charging. Good news, Tesla is busy in many states and typically secures 25% of the new L3s to be built.
I see your point about legacy dealers and their politics influencing funds disti and new L3 locations, but they now also have skin in the game now selling EVs. So let’s hope this influence lessens and get these chargers built.

NEVI is the program for moving IRA funds to each state to help build out L3 charging. Good news, Tesla is busy in many states and typically secures 25% of the new L3s to be built.
I see your point about legacy dealers and their politics influencing funds disti and new L3 locations, but they now also have skin in the game now selling EVs. So let’s hope this influence lessens and get these chargers built.

I thought IRA was an outlawed Irish organization???

Reactions: Concerned
Looking at the data, Tesla is on the low end ($200K) per site while TA is $1M. With that I wonder if TA is planning on a lot more chargers per site with Tesla going with their 8 or 12 standard?

Perhaps Tesla is getting a lower percentage of total cost of the install projects from the feds because they are installing a mix of NACS and CCS? Some states required both to be eligible for funds (Texas and I think Washington), but I'm not aware of PA doing that.

I didn't notice this before but for the Pennsylvania NEVI it looks like actual construction with this money cannot start until the very end of the year. Whatever Tesla is doing now (e.g. Monroeville) is without the money. "Only costs incurred after Grant Agreement execution are eligible for reimbursement."

September-October 2023 Round 1 final award approval and denial notifications 
October – November 2023 Round 1 agreement execution; Notice to Proceed 

And here is the gotcha from the PA NEVI requirements. It looks like Tesla will need V4 SuperChargers with Magic Docks to meet these.
Eligible Charging Station Projects include:
o a publicly accessible location within 1-mile driving distance from the AFC interchange
o a minimum of 4 CCS DC fast charging ports
o a minimum station power capability of 600 kW
o a minimum port power capability of 150 kW per port when all four ports are in use
o a minimum port power capability of 300 kW per port when only two ports are in use (PA requirement)

Last edited:
I didn't notice this before but for the Pennsylvania NEVI it looks like actual construction with this money cannot start until the very end of the year. Whatever Tesla is doing now (e.g. Monroeville) is without the money. "Only costs incurred after Grant Agreement execution are eligible for reimbursement."

September-October 2023 Round 1 final award approval and denial notifications 
October – November 2023 Round 1 agreement execution; Notice to Proceed 

And here is the gotcha from the PA NEVI requirements. It looks like Tesla will need V4 SuperChargers with Magic Docks to meet these.
I assume NEVI funds can be used for reimbursement of previous construction as Onvo travel plaza in Dorrance got money despite CCS/Chademos already being built.

Really, really, really pray the Midlothian permit is uncanceled and the station is actually built with the Royal Farms station. 🙏

Short Pump is on the list for voting this quarter. Danville and VB didn’t make the cut last quarter but are up for voting again.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.png
    IMG_4395.png
    571.5 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: corywright