Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range Model 3 - Slow Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Mid Range Model 3, manufactured in December 2018, with approx 2,000 miles on it. The first day I got it I Supercharged on the way home and reached 115kw - was very impressed!

However, the last 10 times I've charged, it will start out at 50kw (with a 30-50% battery), and drop to 30kw (at my max 80% charge). Some notes:
-These are on different 120kw Superchargers
-No cars are at the surrounding chargers
-Car has been driving for at least 30 min on the highway, 60F+ weather

My main charging is on a 240V at home, which works fine, but why would it be charging so slow at these Superchargers?

That sounds very normal for your temps and SOC levels. I have seen slower and I have a LR and at warmer temps. 30 min drive is nothing and a 60 ambient tells my your pack is likely that cold or colder. The 3 pack needs to be 80 to get full SC speeds unless you are really at a low SOC and it is not in the 60 degree range.

30 mins is not anywhere close to being enough for full speed at 60f. Probably need upwards of a hour.

I respectfully disagree. My MR supercharging (very similar to OP conditions - 2.5k miles, Dec 2018 build) always get to its max speed (frequently above 100kwh) during very first minutes, and then gradually declines. Temp is around 60f as well. The car is never aware of its planned supercharging (no SC destination in maps).

I respectfully disagree. My MR supercharging (very similar to OP conditions - 2.5k miles, Dec 2018 build) always get to its max speed (frequently above 100kwh) during very first minutes, and then gradually declines. Temp is around 60f as well. The car is never aware of its planned supercharging (no SC destination in maps).
But how far did you drive it before getting to the supercharger?
On the other hand if OP is in Florida then 50kW at 30% SoC does seem slow.