Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might store Model X up to 9 months idly, problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set battery to 50% charge level. This is optimal for battery storage. Leave car attached to house power so battery stays charged.

If car will be stored in area subject to power failures, consider setting battery to 60% charge. This ensures enough power to heat/cool battery as necessary during an outage.

Extra credit:
  1. Attach 12 volt trickle charger to 12 volt battery in frunk. There’s a long discussion on this topic in Model S section.
  2. Put car on jack stands to protect tires from flat-spotting or sidewall damage as they lose pressure. Be sure to place stands at jack points - see owner’s manual.

Note that charging might not restart after power failure. I keep my wall connector breaker off at one remote location when I’m not there. I’d love to plug the car in, go into the house and turn on the breaker. It will not work. It always gets a fault. I have to unplug the car (and maybe repower the wall connector, I forget). Something was very unhappy when I did it in that order. Now I have to power on wall connector first then plug car in. This was on Model 3. I have Not tried with X. But I vaguely recall the Wall Connector being the unhappy component. It didn’t like powering up with car connected. It might be a self test that fails. Not sure what UMC will do. I think it’s a safety “feature”.

I’d love anyone to contradict me, or suggest a workaround because it would be very convenient to turn breaker on last (which is exactly what a power fail would look like).

If I’m correct you’d want someone to check on it at least once a month.

Set battery to 50% charge level. This is optimal for battery storage. Leave car attached to house power so battery stays charged.

If car will be stored in area subject to power failures, consider setting battery to 60% charge. This ensures enough power to heat/cool battery as necessary during an outage.

Extra credit:
  1. Attach 12 volt trickle charger to 12 volt battery in frunk. There’s a long discussion on this topic in Model S section.
  2. Put car on jack stands to protect tires from flat-spotting or sidewall damage as they lose pressure. Be sure to place stands at jack points - see owner’s manual.

Good advice. The 12 V and main li-ion batteries should be charged automatically if the car is connected to a charging station I think. You wouldn't need a trickle charger in that case.

Note that charging might not restart after power failure. I keep my wall connector breaker off at one remote location when I’m not there. I’d love to plug the car in, go into the house and turn on the breaker. It will not work. It always gets a fault. I have to unplug the car (and maybe repower the wall connector, I forget). Something was very unhappy when I did it in that order. Now I have to power on wall connector first then plug car in. This was on Model 3. I have Not tried with X. But I vaguely recall the Wall Connector being the unhappy component. It didn’t like powering up with car connected. It might be a self test that fails. Not sure what UMC will do. I think it’s a safety “feature”.

I’d love anyone to contradict me, or suggest a workaround because it would be very convenient to turn breaker on last (which is exactly what a power fail would look like).

If I’m correct you’d want someone to check on it at least once a month.

I did recheck a "power failure" on my UMC and charging resumed fine. Not sure if Model X is different than Model 3 or UMC vs Wall Connector is different. I plan to check wall connector, which didn't like to be connected to the Model 3 when I turned on the Breaker for the Wall Connector, it was very unhappy.

I also agree, don't mess with a trickle charger on the 12V. More likely to confuse the car and cause problems. If it's plugged in, it should be fine.