Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm curious to know what mileage I can expect. On the Tesla site, the EPA range for our model (100D) is 295. When the car is fully charged, it says 264. We have 20" wheels. It doesn't matter much around town, but I'd like to get a better idea of what to expect for road trips, specially a 200-mile trip that's about half highway, half secondary roads and could probably best be described as rolling hills. We do it throughout the year and are in a four-season environment, so I'm assuming time of year also will have an effect? Thank you!

Hi all,

I'm curious to know what mileage I can expect. On the Tesla site, the EPA range for our model (100D) is 295. When the car is fully charged, it says 264. We have 20" wheels. It doesn't matter much around town, but I'd like to get a better idea of what to expect for road trips, specially a 200-mile trip that's about half highway, half secondary roads and could probably best be described as rolling hills. We do it throughout the year and are in a four-season environment, so I'm assuming time of year also will have an effect? Thank you!

You should look at evtripplanner.com or something similar. Just place the start and end locations and it should route you as well as possible.

Hi all,

There indeed a number of variables that can dramatically change the distance you can go.
Probably the biggest factor is speed. The Model X is big and heavy. I'm my Model 3, I've found that every 5mph over 55 can decrease efficiency by 10%. Hold your hand out the window, rotate the wrist so that the hand is against the wind, feel the pressure against your hand. The increase in drag is exponential as speed increases.

I've got the stock 18 inch wheels with and without the aero covers. Although I haven't tested it, just the aero covers can represent 10%.

The car should be smart enough, that if you have a destination in the computer, it will tell you if you can make it or need to charge. This is fairly reliable and should actually warn you to decrease speed if it feels that you may not be able to make it.

If you have range anxiety, make sure that you check for the Superchargers along the site, Destination Chargers and J-1772 chargers. PlugShare is a great place to see all of the options available. You may not need one, but it tends to calm the anxiety when you known that options are available. Even campground that support larger rigs can be a fallback.

This is a great time of year to go out and drive. Choose some site that have alternatives for your first trips, then you can get adventurous.

Also, look for charging alternatives that coincide with biology. If there is a charger near a restaurant, then that's a great option.

Here’s a tip you may find useful. Put your battery charge level to percentage. Now when your driving devide your average Wh/mi into 1000 for your instance, 750 for me because I have a 75kw battery.

So for example if you were averaging 333 Wh/mi you’d be getting 3 miles a 1%. At a 50% charge you’d have around 150mile range left. Wow this really sounds more complicated than it really is, but that’s how my mind works.

In winter, heating can have a big effect. If you go to youtube there are a several videos that talk about 30% reduction of range for people in Ontario Canada. Another big factor is your speed. If you go 80 you are going to go through the battery considerably faster than at 65.