Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Dan, I did "Switch <my> display to show battery % vs miles" which I liked but apparently "battery %" is the default setting so when I restart the vehicle, that's what it shows and I need to manually change it to miles.
Can I override the setting to be DEFAULT miles (not % battery and if I want to view % battery, I manually change the setting from miles to % battery?
Thank you
Bob
No, this is objectively false. With a percentage display, you are seeing percentage of …. what? Do you know how many usable kWh are in your battery at full charge? I don’t think so. Plus, even if you did, this number changes over time as the battery degrades. So how does knowing a percentage of an unknown value translate to “energy available“ (your words)?

Conversely, mileage display is directly proportional to energy. No, one rated mile (which has nothing to do with environmental conditions nor how the car is driven) does not directly indicate how many real world miles you will get . But it does tell you energy available. Just multiply rated miles times the EPA factor for your car (2021 Y LR is 270wh/mile IIRC) and that is how much energy is available. Simple.

When you switch to percentage, you are deliberately throwing out information (energy available).
Nope. The only difference between percentage and miles is a scale factor (the EPA range rating). If you're more comfortable keeping it in miles and multiplying by some corrective factor less than one in your head, do that. For me, on the highway, I know I can comfortably go about 85% of what it says in miles before charging. Or, if you prefer multiplying by a number larger than one, you can keep it set to percentage. But you have to adjust the number in either case. Just set the display to your preferred value. Changing the scale is assuredly not losing information, and saying that it is causes Claude Shannon to spin in his grave.

If you actually need to know how far you can get, because, say, you're going to Canyon de Chelly and the superchargers are far and few between and the NPS still hasn't installed L2 chargers at the visitor center, you don't want to be using that display at all. Use the Energy graph; it takes actual current conditions into account, and gives a much more accurate estimate.

No, this is objectively false. With a percentage display, you are seeing percentage of …. what? Do you know how many usable kWh are in your battery at full charge? I don’t think so. Plus, even if you did, this number changes over time as the battery degrades. So how does knowing a percentage of an unknown value translate to “energy available“ (your words)?

Conversely, mileage display is directly proportional to energy. No, one rated mile (which has nothing to do with environmental conditions nor how the car is driven) does not directly indicate how many real world miles you will get . But it does tell you energy available. Just multiply rated miles times the EPA factor for your car (2021 Y LR is 270wh/mile IIRC) and that is how much energy is available. Simple.

When you switch to percentage, you are deliberately throwing out information (energy available).
So if I use miles, then I have to do calculations in my head to know how many miles I really have left? No thanks. I do refer to the energy graph to get a better update on my usage but I prefer to simply be able to glance at the battery percentage display to see, quickly, when I might need to start thinking about stopping (if I'm not using nav). But to me, the %age is a much better indication than the miles, which we know is based on the EPA rated range and is not impacted by conditions. And I think a lot of newbies would be less stressed by using the % display than miles, eliminating a lot of 'Wait, I drove 10 miles but the car says I used 25 miles of range?!' posts.

lol. Plus he is able to fill a 14.5 gallon tank for $30! Must be the personal refinery he has to make gas below $2. If I had those fuel costs I would go get a HumV
I did the math for my brother in law who just replaced his aging prius with a model 3. For his electrical rates, gas needs to be cheaper than $2.45/gallon to make his prius cheaper to commute to work with.. If he only supercharges, gas needs to be cheaper than $2.70/gallon... Gas prices in his area is near $6/gallon.

For me, with my home charging rates, gas needs to be cheaper than $0.45/gallon.

This was calculated using actual fuel consumption by our ICE/hybrid cars, and reported energy consumption in the Teslas, on our daily commutes.

Nope. The only difference between percentage and miles is a scale factor (the EPA range rating).
What are you basing this on? The only way that could be true is if 100% was the full usable capacity of a theoretical ideal battery. But if this were the case you would never be able to charge to 100% once your battery began to degrade at all.

100% is your total usable capacity, and you have no idea what that is. So you have no idea what any percentage is (other than 0).

Wait, so if the car is parked somewhere and not plugged in, you can't warm the car up remotely?
Yes, you absolutely can. The difference is that it will use energy in the battery, not from your home. The caveat here is that if, like me, you use Scheduled Charging (or Departure, I suppose). So when I start the climate control at 10:00 am, it's using the battery not my home as my charging is set to start at 10:00 PM, even though my car is plugged in.

What are you basing this on? The only way that could be true is if 100% was the full usable capacity of a theoretical ideal battery. But if this were the case you would never be able to charge to 100% once your battery began to degrade at all.

100% is your total usable capacity, and you have no idea what that is. So you have no idea what any percentage is (other than 0).
Dozens if not hundreds of comments on this forum. The driving display of charge remaining does not take recent driving patterns into consideration. You can verify this for yourself by comparing it to the Energy display. There's a reason it's referred to as the Guess-O-Meter.

I did the math for my brother in law who just replaced his aging prius with a model 3. For his electrical rates, gas needs to be cheaper than $2.45/gallon to make his prius cheaper to commute to work with.. If he only supercharges, gas needs to be cheaper than $2.70/gallon... Gas prices in his area is near $6/gallon.

For me, with my home charging rates, gas needs to be cheaper than $0.45/gallon.

This was calculated using actual fuel consumption by our ICE/hybrid cars, and reported energy consumption in the Teslas, on our daily commutes.

Please post this math.

Also did you take in to account the differences in initial vehicle purchase prices?

I've also done some similar math, and although I love EVs and the driving experience, by my math they come in as huge financial losers. Primarily because of the difference in initial purchase cost.

Still, once you are getting 40+ mpg on a Hybrid your fuel costs are really low overall anyways.

Thanks

Also did you take in to account the differences in initial vehicle purchase prices?
No, because for me it was moot, as the car I was coming from, and the car I was considering were the same price as the Tesla.

Still, once you are getting 40+ mpg on a Hybrid your fuel costs are really low overall anyways.
Depends how many miles you drive. I average about 30k miles a year. Even at 40 mpg with the cost of gas currently near my house, that equates to > $4000 in fuel costs, which is around $333/month. To recharge my Tesla, I'm averaging around $60/month.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
You joined the forum just to tell us that, did you?

You who have two Teslas and no at-home charging?

You who thinks it takes an hour to charge a Tesla?

You who finds it a "need" to plug in a cord?

Go back to writing propaganda about Ukraine, Sergei.
Nope. I joined to sell my crappy vehicles to fanatics like yourself. I honestly still do not understand why you felt so offended about my honest post. Didn't know you and Musk were related.

I run a Turo business and have multiple personal vehicles including a home charger. I think I can tell which vehicles are worth the money and those that aren't. My tesla has been at the service center more times than my 2010 corolla ever was.

As I'm sure you do too, I'm sure you don't come home to charge when in need of a charge during your day and being out and about. Unless your days last 100 hours then sure but I can't wait an hour to charge and keep going, much less 6-10.

Please if you love them so much, take them off my hands.