Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles per hour for 32 Amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this 21 miles per hour normal for 32AMP ? I think we should get around 30 right ?

DBA871FB-F0C4-47B7-8412-7DE6A1B048CC.jpeg

Being that the OP location is listed as Boston it was probably a heat draw. If I am in the car in the summer in OK I notice it does 25-26 to keep up with the AC. Better to let the car be unattended while charging so the climate control turns off. Then while still plugged in bring the cabin to the desired temp after charging complete...

Being that the OP location is listed as Boston it was probably a heat draw. If I am in the car in the summer in OK I notice it does 25-26 to keep up with the AC. Better to let the car be unattended while charging so the climate control turns off. Then while still plugged in bring the cabin to the desired temp after charging complete...
Makes sense. It’s in high 20s here, so car is trying to do heat draw. Does car needs a heat draw even though I’m not using it ? I’m just charging

Makes sense. It’s in high 20s here, so car is trying to do heat draw. Does car needs a heat draw even though I’m not using it ? I’m just charging

The heat draw during charging will be to heat the battery, not for heating the cabin (unless you specifically request cabin heating).

As mentioned above, the battery needs to be warm enough to charge. If it’s too cold it will charge slower than normal, if at all. So when the battery is cold it’s not surprising to see the mph charge rate start low and slowly ramp up as the car warms the battery before you’ll see higher mph charge rates.

Reactions: SSedan
The heat draw during charging will be to heat the battery, not for heating the cabin (unless you specifically request cabin heating).

As mentioned above, the battery needs to be warm enough to charge. If it’s too cold it will charge slower than normal, if at all. So when the battery is cold it’s not surprising to see the mph charge rate start low and slowly ramp up as the car warms the battery before you’ll see higher mph charge rates.
Oh ok. Good info, yup battery was very cold before I started charging. I had the snow flake icon appear as well on my app.

FWIW, even with a snowflake and significant blue on the charge display, the car can get to 40A in well under a minute. The cold limit is far higher than 8 kW, at least for reasonable definitions of 'cold.' If you're talking ten below zero F, then perhaps not.

When you got in the car if the HVAC was on it probably started to heat the cabin. If you turn it off you should get 30+ all the time. After you get out of the car the HVAC will turn off automatically and the car will also charge at 30+.