Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles went from 15 to 0 in less than hour, while parked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Did anybody experience this?
Recently..I reached home after a long commute at around 8 PM with only 15 miles left.
I plugged the charging cable but it is scheduled to charge only at 11 PM as the low electric rates only kick in at that time.
When I checked my app around at 9 PM..I see the miles 0!!
Does this mean..I really did not have 15 miles left or BMS drained those 15 miles in an hour?
It was a cold/rainy night in Bay area.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Did anybody experience this?
Recently..I reached home after a long commute at around 8 PM with only 15 miles left.
I plugged the charging cable but it is scheduled to charge only at 11 PM as the low electric rates only kick in at that time.
When I checked my app around at 9 PM..I see the miles 0!!
Does this mean..I really did not have 15 miles left or BMS drained those 15 miles in an hour?
It was a cold/rainy night in Bay area.

Thanks in advance
I saw some very weird stuff in last week too.
Parked in evening with 29%. Came back to 18% in morning.

Next day. Charges to 85%. Drove 5 km and parked at 83%. Went in store. Came out 1 hour later. Dash said 88%.

Must be latest software.

The BMS is simply 'guessing' the ture SOC all the time, and with cold weather it gets it wrong sometimes.

Looking at our car, the car actually shows TWO DIFFERENT SOC 'guesses'. With nearly a 4% difference between the two values which would account for easily 10miles+ changes in reported range.

The only way the BMS really knows which SOC is correct would be to drive the car to empty till it stops.

49138431441_e6ea975a56_c_d.jpg

Since I got v10 I've noticed when I come home with 15% or less the car will loose exactly 8% during next hour or so just sitting in the garage even if the temperature is 10-15 C (not very cold). After that, I would charge to 80 at night and next day it will slowly get back the lost percentages (like I would park somewhere at 75 and come back to 77). Today I've charged to 70, the app reported "stopped charging at 70" and a few hours later I've found it reporting 74% (the was sitting in the garage). Glad it's not something wrong with my battery as people reporting a similar problem in this thread...

Today I've charged to 70, the app reported "stopped charging at 70" and a few hours later I've found it reporting 74% (the was sitting in the garage). Glad it's not something wrong with my battery as people reporting a similar problem in this thread...

This story continues today (next day). After getting 74% yesterday (see my post above) I've found it at 79% today with the car still sitting in the garage! Temperature in the garage is 11 C. S
To sum up: set it to charge to 70% on Friday night, at night got app notification "charging complete at 70%", on Saturday found the car reporting 74%, on Sunday car reporting 79%. No charging.

Something wrong with the latest SW, I guess.

I think its more the BMS sometimes genuinely doesnt know what the SOC is.

This is our car today, same software as last weekend, yet reporting over 1 kWh less usable energy, and the difference between SOC UI and SOC MIN is also different. Clearly working out true SOC is black magic!!

49153307787_b62bb4142d_c_d.jpg