Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

23 MXLR energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new MXLR 2 weeks ago in the Bay Area. I charged it up to 90% that night which gave me 313 miles. Long story short, we drove only 106 because the car was at the service center for a suspension issue. After 2 weeks, now the car has 107 miles left. I noticed the battery drained a lot over night last night at 19 miles. It wasn’t particularly cold at around 55 degrees last night. For the 106 miles we drove, the avg energy usage was 286Wh/mi. I’ve not driven the car hard as you can see in the energy usage. We didn’t turn on sentry mode at night in case you wonder.
We come from a very efficient model 3 but didn’t expect this kind of drainage for the MX.
Would appreciate any feedback or shared experience.
IMG_7596.jpeg

Picked up my new MXLR 2 weeks ago in the Bay Area. I charged it up to 90% that night which gave me 313 miles. Long story short, we drove only 106 because the car was at the service center for a suspension issue. After 2 weeks, now the car has 107 miles left. I noticed the battery drained a lot over night last night at 19 miles. It wasn’t particularly cold at around 55 degrees last night. For the 106 miles we drove, the avg energy usage was 286Wh/mi. I’ve not driven the car hard as you can see in the energy usage. We didn’t turn on sentry mode at night in case you wonder.
We come from a very efficient model 3 but didn’t expect this kind of drainage for the MX.
Would appreciate any feedback or shared experience.
It is really too early to tell. But the X consumes far more energy than the 3, and your numbers are not that far out of whack. If they continue to be high, you might want to consider getting a wheel alignment. Teslas are often not aligned, coming out of the factory. Remember, unless you are driving the vehicle, it should be plugged in. At least every night overnight.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Thanks for your reply. While I get the MX has higher energy usage but 19 miles just seems abnormal. Btw, last night was another 14 miles. It was less probably just because fewer hours had passed.
Prior to this, over night drain was more like 2-3 miles.

Just my two cents but I believe that it is excessive vampire drain if you have sentry mode off. Had MS and currently have M3 and MYLR and both cars sat for almost 2 weeks as we were on vacation. I had approx. 7 mile drain on each and only the Y was plugged in. I would just monitor for the next couple weeks and see if it settles down.

19 miles is definitely very high for a single night vampire drain (how did you calculate that?). Is the car going to sleep (you say sentry is off but are you able to check if the car is in fact going to sleep)? Do you have a fob or something near the car keeping it awake? Do you have an app to help you monitor this (we use TeslaFi...though you also need to be careful with these as they can consume a lot of energy if they are not configured correctly).

Just looked at the consumption on the car app. Apparently, vehicle standby consumed the lionshare of the drain. It really perplexes me how the last 2 nights the car experiences such high rate of consumption.
Btw, I have a stupid question. When people say keep the car plugged in, does it mean charging the car or does it mean just plugged in? We’re not able to keep it plugged in every night because we have multiple EV’s.

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 28
19 miles is definitely very high for a single night vampire drain (how did you calculate that?). Is the car going to sleep (you say sentry is off but are you able to check if the car is in fact going to sleep)? Do you have a fob or something near the car keeping it awake? Do you have an app to help you monitor this (we use TeslaFi...though you also need to be careful with these as they can consume a lot of energy if they are not configured correctly).
I just looked at the odometer and remembered it being 153 miles left and when I got back in the car the next morning, it was 134. How do I make sure it’s able to sleep? I don’t have fobs. Also no third party app either.

My LR was picked up 11/3 here in NJ and temps have been mostly in the 30-50 range. I just hit about 500mi now and my average is 309 Wh/mi.

I find this pretty decent for the time of the year and my generally shorter trips I take compared to my previous Model 3 Performance efficiency that was in the high 290's over about 18k miles.

Just looked at the consumption on the car app. Apparently, vehicle standby consumed the lionshare of the drain. It really perplexes me how the last 2 nights the car experiences such high rate of consumption.
Btw, I have a stupid question. When people say keep the car plugged in, does it mean charging the car or does it mean just plugged in? We’re not able to keep it plugged in every night because we have multiple EV’s.
Plugged in is just that.... either its charging or done, but still plugged in.

Allows you to avoid phantom drain, run Sentry Mode without reducing range and use the pre-conditioning features, again without reducing range.

Anytime I'm not driving its plugged in regardless of charge level or usage that day which is as recommended by Tesla.

Attachments

• Tesla ABC.jpg
    Tesla ABC.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 25
My LR was picked up 11/3 here in NJ and temps have been mostly in the 30-50 range. I just hit about 500mi now and my average is 309 Wh/mi.

I find this pretty decent for the time of the year and my generally shorter trips I take compared to my previous Model 3 Performance efficiency that was in the high 290's over about 18k miles.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll try to plug it in more in the garage. Would you mind sharing your Parked consumption page? Just wanted to see if mine is more excessive compared to others.

Plugged in is just that.... either its charging or done, but still plugged in.

Allows you to avoid phantom drain, run Sentry Mode without reducing range and use the pre-conditioning features, again without reducing range.

Anytime I'm not driving its plugged in regardless of charge level or usage that day which is as recommended by Tesla.
I've always left one of mine plugged in when on vacation but am I just keeping it charged at my selected percentage or is there a reason specifically why it should be left always plugged in? Is this supposed to just keep up with the vampire drain and start charging every time it's below the selected charging limit or will it actually keep the drain to a minimum?

I've always left one of mine plugged in when on vacation but am I just keeping it charged at my selected percentage or is there a reason specifically why it should be left always plugged in? Is this supposed to just keep up with the vampire drain and start charging every time it's below the selected charging limit or will it actually keep the drain to a minimum?
I have a similar question as well. We've had 2 model 3's the past 6 years. We never plug them in unless charging and there's never excessive vampire drain. However, when we leave them plugged in for a few hours after charging overnight, I'd still notice some vampire drain. For example, when the car just finishes charging and has 270 miles at 90%, after a few hours when we finally unplug it, it may have 267. Doesn't that point to some vampire drain still even when plugged it?

If you click on the screenshot I posted from the Tesla manual it gives several reasons.

On top of that I have read that during this plugged in idle time it allows the BMS (Battery Management System) to run its self checks AND maintain the low voltage 12V system.

Lastly, my personal feeling is that Tesla warranties the packs, so their recommendation is what I go by regardless of the endless "special" charging habits users continue to post thinking they know better. Been doing so for 5+ years now, two Model 3's an now my X and don't plan on changing that.

Here's some more Tesla tips on the subject regarding Cold Weather 👀

1701798604042.png

If you click on the screenshot I posted from the Tesla manual it gives several reasons.

On top of that I have read that during this plugged in idle time it allows the BMS (Battery Management System) to run its self checks AND maintain the low voltage 12V system.

Lastly, my personal feeling is that Tesla warranties the packs, so their recommendation is what I go by regardless of the endless "special" charging habits users continue to post thinking they know better. Been doing so for 5+ years now, two Model 3's an now my X and don't plan on changing that.

Here's some more Tesla tips on the subject regarding Cold Weather 👀

View attachment 996641
So I'm in So. Cal and not cold weather?

So here’s another data point. I charged up last night at 80% for 278 miles. It finished charging around 7 am. I just got in the car at noon and noticed a drain of 4 miles in 5 hours while plugged in. Is this an anomaly?

Attachments

• IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 25
I have a similar question as well. We've had 2 model 3's the past 6 years. We never plug them in unless charging and there's never excessive vampire drain. However, when we leave them plugged in for a few hours after charging overnight, I'd still notice some vampire drain. For example, when the car just finishes charging and has 270 miles at 90%, after a few hours when we finally unplug it, it may have 267. Doesn't that point to some vampire drain still even when plugged it?

That could be the result of battery calibration, but I'm no expert.

So here’s another data point. I charged up last night at 80% for 278 miles. It finished charging around 7 am. I just got in the car at noon and noticed a drain of 4 miles in 5 hours while plugged in. Is this an anomaly?
It is because when plugging it in, the car charges to its programmed maximum SoC. It will not charge again until it drops around 5%. Usually a couple of days. It is perfectly normal.

To improve the situation, you can set the car to charge based upon your projected Departure time. The car figures out when to start charging so it will be complete before your estimated departure. This pushes the charge session later which helps with battery heating (if necessary).