Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimise Vampire Drain - e.g. Airport Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I've been doing some searches but not found conclusive advice on what is best to do if the car is parked for a prolonged time where there is no charging available.

Common suggestions include:

Power Saving = ON
Always connected = UNCHECKED
Do not check the car using phone APP (because that will wake the car)

Ones I'm not sure about:

Put the car in Range Mode?

Configure APPs

e.g. TeslaFi has good Sleep control options
I cannot find anything in TeslaLog that is likely to make it sleep
If I close the Phone APPs is there anything in background that might still run?

Further suggestions:

Change password - so no APPs are able to connect

Turn the car OFF when parking - would that make any difference?

I have read that the longer the car is parked the more aggressively the energy-saving that is applied

• Informative
Reactions: doctorwho
Cabin overheat protection = OFF

I'd make sure any logging apps/services are disabled. Changing your Tesla password will do that for sure, but is a bit excessive.

Check your power drain for a day in your garage with all your settings and see how it goes. You should be able to get down to less than 1 kWh/day lost.

My first experience with Vampire loss aided by reading all these threads was very positive

Model X 2016 5 days at Syracuse Airport covered parking outside temps avg 72-85F
Energy Save mode ON
Smart Preconditioning OFF
Always Connected OFF
Range mode ON

I NEVER checked the car with any App

Astonishingly the loss was 1 Mile total over the 5 full day

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515 and ABVA
I have experience here....

I returned last week from a 17 day trip and our 2014 Model S ( pre-autopilot) used 1.2miles / day vampire drain while parked at Sky Harbor airport. We charged the car to nearly 100% at Casa Grande Supercharger on the way to the airport in anticipation of vampire losses.

However, to minimize vampire losses I indeed had:

Always Connected: OFF
Range Mode: ON
Smart Preconditioning: OFF
Energy Save mode: ON
I did leave Cabin Overheat Protection: ON- but I read that it only runs that feature for 24 hours. I'm not sure what it actually did

I did not check the car remotely until the plane landed upon return from the trip. The car took about 45 seconds to respond when I logged in, and I was able to set the climate control to on so that when I arrived at the car the cabin was a comfortable 72 degrees. It was 104 outside when I got to Phoenix.

I was very happy, I had expected it to use about 2.5 to 3 miles per day - and had planed to need a stop at the Casa Grande supercharger on the way home, I was able to skip that stop.

YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515