Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain of ~8% per day parked at home (no sentry)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing constant battery drain on my vehicle. I uninstalled all 3rd party apps and reset my password and was still experiencing this drain. Because of that, I wanted to know the car better and have an idea of what's happening, so I installed Tessie to help me track what's happening with the car. What I'm finding is that the car is just not going to sleep when it should. I am seeing it on 24/7 with logs that look like the following when idle. There are ~20 min. spurts where the car reports online with data being recorded, then 20 minute periods where it doesn't report data. You can see in the picture that the car is just awake all day and I'm losing about 1% every 3 hours because the car cannot go to sleep. This is consistent behavior over the past few weeks, I tested for about a week without any 3rd party apps, then installed Tessie and started tracking (note that the installation of Tessie has seemed to not had any effect on the car's battery drain, but it does allow me to gather this information). The only blip you see there where the car looks like it went to sleep was when I did a soft reset (hold down both buttons on steering wheel).

All of this has been done with sentry mode off at home, no cabin overheat protection, california weather (60-80 degrees outside), covered parking, no precondition departures. At this point I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what's keeping the car awake. I'm force closing the app on my phone (the only one with the app installed), disallowing it to run in the background. On top of that, I'm only checking my car status once in a morning and once at night to limit waking up the car.

Has anyone else run into this problem where the car is unable to sleep? Last time I noticed a sleep was when I changed phone keys and went a day w/o it. So I might give that a try again then report back. But Phone Key is not a feature I'm ready to give up, and it shouldn't have this kind of drain associated with it should it?

1690386794092.png

1690386875244.png

If your Tesla Model Y has FSD then be sure you have disabled Summon / Smart Summon.

If you home Wi-Fi connection is weak the Tesla Model Y may be repeatedly attempting to connect to the Wi-Fi network. Try deleting the Wi-Fi connection. (The Telsa Model Y will prompt to connect to Wi-Fi the next time you drive the Model Y.)

If your Tesla Model Y has FSD then be sure you have disabled Summon / Smart Summon.

If you home Wi-Fi connection is weak the Tesla Model Y may be repeatedly attempting to connect to the Wi-Fi network. Try deleting the Wi-Fi connection. (The Telsa Model Y will prompt to connect to Wi-Fi the next time you drive the Model Y.)
No FSD, but I have not tried deleting the wifi connection yet. I clicked it off in the car, but now that you mention it, I doubt it does anything. And yes, the car location has a weak wifi signal so I'll definitely try that when I get home.

Thanks!

Narrowing down to a hardware problem. Some more details in these threads:

Thanks for the info @greg1 . Like many others mentioned, I also ran into the parking assist (data visualization) disappearing and losing the ability to use autopilot. I had set up a service appointment for that and they were able to reboot things there and get it working again, but it did not solve the drain issue. I then followed up with service inquiries about the drain and got told "it's normal". I've now put in another service request to see if I can push them a bit more now that I know lots of others are reporting the same problem, with the RCM as a possible culprit.

Reactions: greg1
Ask the Service Center if it could be due to air bubbles trapped in the cooling system. This could create hot spots within the battery pack that would cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake with the coolant circulating pump active.

Another thing you can do is enter Service Mode and check the health of the low voltage 15.5 lithium battery. If the Tesla Model Y is getting a false or bad reading from the low voltage battery module the power conversion system (PCS) could be trying to charge the low voltage battery.

Got a service appointment set up next Tuesday 08/08. Will update as we go along. Originally they were going to sent a mobile tech, but after asking about my concerns, they updated it to a service center. Also, the focus is on cameras/sensors based on my backup camera/autopilot issues. I also mentioned the battery drain problem as I think they're related, but unfortunately it is officially not part of this service visit and might require me to press them on it.

I am having the SAME issue. 2020 Model Y. 56k miles. This happened last week. I parked my car with valet in NYC garage. Car was in valet mode on Wednesday afternoon arrived at 47%, I got the car back Saturday am with 24%. Sentry / Summon Cabin overhear were all OFF. My car had 53 attempts over those days via the TeslFi app to go to sleep.

I did have the Tesla Widget on my iPhone home screen and deleted it thinking it couldn’t been an issue. I also reset my Tesla password and deleted the TeslaFi connection after noticing this, BUT I am still having battery drain. I also noticed a few days ago my FSD green light chime / visualization is missing too. I tried putting the car to sleep / scroll wheel reset no luck to get the displays to come back.

Someone on another local FB group said its a sign of a 12v battery failing, car is waking up and using the high-voltage battery to charge it over and over possibly? How old is everyones battery??? I have a service appt to replace the 12v battery since it's been 3 years and 56k miles.

Last edited:
I am having the SAME issue. 2020 Model Y. 56k miles. This happened last week. I parked my car with valet in NYC garage. Car was in valet mode on Wednesday afternoon arrived at 47%, I got the car back Saturday am with 24%. Sentry / Summon Cabin overhear were all OFF. My car had 53 attempts over those days via the TeslFi app to go to sleep.

I did have the Tesla Widget on my iPhone home screen and deleted it thinking it couldn’t been an issue. I also reset my Tesla password and deleted the TeslaFi connection after noticing this, BUT I am still having battery drain. I also noticed a few days ago my FSD green light chime / visualization is missing too. I tried putting the car to sleep / scroll wheel reset no luck to get the displays to come back.

Someone on another local FB group said its a sign of a 12v battery failing, car is waking up and using the high-voltage battery to charge it over and over possibly? How old is everyones battery??? I have a service appt to replace the 12v battery since it's been 3 years and 56k miles.
I got my car in April 2023 and am having this problem. Unless I got a bad 12v battery I don't think that's the issue. The autopilot issues, unless coincident, also means it's not just the 12v.

Hello,

For the past three days all of a sudden my Tesla is losing 5-7% charge in standby parked at home. I am losing this much in less than 24 hrs.

I do not have FSD, COP is on Off, sentry is off at home. I rarely check it in my Tesla app, I do not have any third party app just the Tesla app. It is connected to Wi-Fi with a strong signal.

I am very frustrated and stressed that this vehicle is brand new only a month old and having this issue all of a sudden. The current software is 2023.20.9.

I created a service ticket but seems like they are not making it out as an issue. I am reading in this forum service usually says this issue is normal. Car manual says 1% a day mine is losing 5%-7% a day, not sure how this is normal?

Please any advice would be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Captain78
Have you rebooted the car? Are any of the phones that are used as keys for the car kept near the car while it is parked? Could there be anything thing else monitoring the car, such as another app or device that might be waking it up? Is there anything plugged into auxiliary 12v ports?

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Have you rebooted the car? Are any of the phones that are used as keys for the car kept near the car while it is parked? Could there be anything thing else monitoring the car, such as another app or device that might be waking it up? Is there anything plugged into auxiliary 12v ports?
Thank you for replying.

I have rebooted the car. Yes my phone is connected to the ca via Bluetooth, but it’s always been like that from day 1 and I never had this drain. Only until recently on an auto sw update did it start draining daily.

What’s weird is I have two Bluetooth connections for the Tesla on my phone. One shows connected and the other connects only when I’m driving, when driving then both are connected. Anyways I tried closing the app and shutting Bluetooth off I’m still getting the drain. Is it normal to have two Bluetooth connections for the Tesla? One says Tesla 14567 and the other says Tesla model y.

Nothing plugged in the car except for the usb that came with it in the glove box. My car is draining 1.5% every hour and a half.

Thank you for replying.

I have rebooted the car. Yes my phone is connected to the ca via Bluetooth, but it’s always been like that from day 1 and I never had this drain. Only until recently on an auto sw update did it start draining daily.

What’s weird is I have two Bluetooth connections for the Tesla on my phone. One shows connected and the other connects only when I’m driving, when driving then both are connected. Anyways I tried closing the app and shutting Bluetooth off I’m still getting the drain. Is it normal to have two Bluetooth connections for the Tesla? One says Tesla 14567 and the other says Tesla model y.

Nothing plugged in the car except for the usb that came with it in the glove box. My car is draining 1.5% every hour and a half.
The second BT connection is the phone key.

Thank you for replying.

Might want to put the year/car Model in your signature. If you have a standard range battery pack 1% would be about .57KW; therefore, if the normal max standby power is around 250W with all power using options disabled, the SOC drop should be around .5% every hour when the car is NOT sleeping. I would log the drain over a 24 hour period to make sure the average drain is 1% per hour.

Sorry, the above would be for the Model 3 so plug in the numbers for your Model Y battery size etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying.

What I noticed and what you can check on is whether or not the car is constantly "humming" while idle at home and not plugged in. I noticed this happening, took multiple short videos of it happening throughout the day. These would be times where you believe the car should be idle and asleep. If this is the case, couple it with the photo of the battery drain and report it as an "Other" problem about the car constantly humming. Again, the battery drain is a symptom, but not the underlying cause. The humming can be indicative of whatever the underlying cause is. Others have reported an RCM (restraint control module) problem that is constantly keeping the car on. This may not be the case for everyone but it certainly seemed to fix the issue for others.

I am facing similar issues.

Okay, so, I have two Tesla's, A 2020 Model 3 SR+ 19' and a 2021 SRMY. I have noticed that MY SRMY 19' is losing somewhere between 17-22 miles of range as the car is parked overnight. I know this cannot be normal since my SR+ has nowhere this range loss, where I lose maybe 3-4miles. Both cars are parked outside. I did not face this problem last year when I purchased the car in March of 2021(2021 and 2022). The car itself has less than 20k miles.

I have requested several service calls and Tesla has not replied back to me.

Car is at the service center now. The service rep seemed uninterested in my explanations and just wants the tech to look at it. I'm guessing this is going to take a bit of back and forth to get to the stage where it will be resolved. Luckily for me they have a loaner car available for me during the time being.

It's scheduled for completion tomorrow night. Will be asking them to confirm that the car can go to sleep properly even AFTER a drive.

Reactions: evermore