Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain of ~8% per day parked at home (no sentry)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is telling the onboard computer(s) that the car should not sleep. The diagnostic scan SHOULD be able to see what that something(s) are and direct the repair tech in the right direction to resolve the problem. Seems the diagnostic scan should be able to create a list of ALL parameters that could keep the car from entering the sleep state?

Huzzah, looks like problem was fixed. After driving the car home, it looks like the car was able to go to sleep. Can confirm that they replaced the RCM (Restraint Control Module) and the tech reported that this was likely keeping the autopilot module awake as well which caused it to overload and disappear.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Took delivery of my 2023 Tesla Model Y (non-long range) late July. Didn't have any initial issues with battery drain, the standard 1-2% overnight as anticipated. More recently I have been experiencing rapid battery drain when parked.

The car was fully charged Wednesday evening and as I have been working from home has been parked on my drive since, but has dropped 74 miles of range, around 27% of the battery.

I've read up on other posts facing the same issues, and have done the following:
  • Sentry mode - off
  • Wifi - Off and Wifi network removed
  • Bluetooth - off
  • Cabin Heat Protection - off
  • Data Sharing - off
  • Tesla password changed (although only have the Tesla app, home charger app and Tessie app that were connected)
  • Summon mode - Couldn't find option for this, but autopilot beta is disabled
  • Restart & Power Off
Before I had WiFi, Bluetooth, Data Sharing and Cabin Heat Protection in A/C mode all on and wasn't experiencing this drain.

I checked the energy consumption chart whilst in the Tesla, when checked the other day apart from 2 miles lost on the mobile app, there was nothing other than the 41.5 miles lost in 'Vehicle Standby' since last charge.

Is there anything else I could be missing, or is this something I need to refer up to the lease company? Although I haven't had the car very long at all, it does seem to have been a problem that has developed more recently.

Yeah, people sometimes get problems like this. This is why there's warranties.

Um. I've never owned a leased car before. Generally, when a car under warranty had an issue, I'd just go through the dealer's (well, any dealer for that make) set up an appointment, and go for it. If it was a warranty problem they'd fix whatever-it-was, no charge.

That has been, pretty much, the same experience I've had with the couple of Teslas we own over here. Except that one pops open the Tesla app on one's phone, go to the Service tab, Request Service, then pick Battery & Charging. Rather than calling them on the phone. I'd guess the "Other - Battery" is what you'd pick. You can tippy-tap what your experience has been, point out that it's new, even put in pictures and such, and let it rip.

Asking the leasing company to do that on your behalf sounds a bit strange, really.

In my experience Tesla has been pretty responsive about it all. Of course, I'm in the US, in an area where the mobile techs roam, there's at least two Service Centers within reasonable distance, and all that, and you're in the UK. So, don't know.

Took delivery of my 2023 Tesla Model Y (non-long range) late July. Didn't have any initial issues with battery drain, the standard 1-2% overnight as anticipated. More recently I have been experiencing rapid battery drain when parked.

The car was fully charged Wednesday evening and as I have been working from home has been parked on my drive since, but has dropped 74 miles of range, around 27% of the battery.

I've read up on other posts facing the same issues, and have done the following:
  • Sentry mode - off
  • Wifi - Off and Wifi network removed
  • Bluetooth - off
  • Cabin Heat Protection - off
  • Data Sharing - off
  • Tesla password changed (although only have the Tesla app, home charger app and Tessie app that were connected)
  • Summon mode - Couldn't find option for this, but autopilot beta is disabled
  • Restart & Power Off
Before I had WiFi, Bluetooth, Data Sharing and Cabin Heat Protection in A/C mode all on and wasn't experiencing this drain.

I checked the energy consumption chart whilst in the Tesla, when checked the other day apart from 2 miles lost on the mobile app, there was nothing other than the 41.5 miles lost in 'Vehicle Standby' since last charge.

Is there anything else I could be missing, or is this something I need to refer up to the lease company? Although I haven't had the car very long at all, it does seem to have been a problem that has developed more recently.
Just got my MYL a month ago and it's been drainning about 1% to 2% a day. From what I read. Everytime you open your app to check on the car. You wake the car up and that can drain your battery. I know we like to check on our shiny new toy every hours. I stop doing that and so far I loose may be 1% each day.

Reactions: bckelowna
Hi, Folks

Need some helps to understand what is going on with my MY (2023.2) after recent software upgrade 2023.26.7.

When I parked my car either in the garage or outside Austin TX, I can hear some constantly shifting sounds under the hood. It looks like something inside is shifting left to right or up and down once per second. The ambient temperature is above 100~110F degree even at night recently in Austin. So I guess this maybe some new overheat protection mechanism? But I have already turned off Sentry mode, and no cabin overheat protection.

With such settings, 4 hours parking can cost me 20~30miles. And I don't have such problem before this software upgrade.

Any suggestion how can I turn something off?

The sound is like this.

Thanks

Hi, Folks

Need some helps to understand what is going on with my MY (2023.2) after recent software upgrade 2023.26.7.

When I parked my car either in the garage or outside Austin TX, I can hear some constantly shifting sounds under the hood. It looks like something inside is shifting left to right or up and down once per second. The ambient temperature is above 100~110F degree even at night recently in Austin. So I guess this maybe some new overheat protection mechanism? But I have already turned off Sentry mode, and no cabin overheat protection.

With such settings, 4 hours parking can cost me 20~30miles. And I don't have such problem before this software upgrade.

The sound is like this.

Thanks
I definitely was not getting this sound. Definitely include that video in your ticket for Tesla service.

Hi, Folks

The sound is like this.

Thanks
See a couple of posts earlier on this page! Might be your issue?

They reported car fixed and confirmed that the restraint control module (RCM) was constantly keeping the car awake. They replaced the module and the car was able to go to sleep finally! I'm going to pick up later today and will report back if there are any future concerns.

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 2021 Model 3 (NCA battery, lead acid 12V). Just hit 30,000 miles. Anyway, I updated to 2023.26.8 early last week and have noticed the weird idle behavior. My car is losing roughly 3 percent of battery within a 4-hour span or so, just sitting in my garage. No Sentry mode, no climate on, no auto cabin A/C. Just sitting in the garage, chilling.

I looked up the Tessie data on the car, and the car is staying awake for hours at a time. And then it's regularly showing "No connectivity." I checked the activity logs, and this is what it shows for the past 24 hours:

IMG_6935.PNG

I drove maybe a total of 40 mins yesterday and today -- the rest of the time, the car was sitting in the garage. This is my wife's 2023 Model Y, sitting in the driveway (about 15 feet behind my car), also on 2023.26.8, over the past 24 hours:

IMG_6936.PNG

I know that it's not Tessie causing any issues because I've been using the app for two years, and the Model Y isn't having issues. The Tessie app in the Help section suggests that maybe the 12V battery is failing. I dunno. Wi-Fi strength shouldn't and hasn't been a problem in the two years I've had the car. That car is sitting directly below the router in the bonus room.

I tried soft resetting the car and doing the power-off/brake pedal method to no avail. Maybe the RCM is the issue as stated above?

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 2021 Model 3 (NCA battery, lead acid 12V). Just hit 30,000 miles. Anyway, I updated to 2023.26.8 early last week and have noticed the weird idle behavior. My car is losing roughly 3 percent of battery within a 4-hour span or so, just sitting in my garage. No Sentry mode, no climate on, no auto cabin A/C. Just sitting in the garage, chilling.

I looked up the Tessie data on the car, and the car is staying awake for hours at a time. And then it's regularly showing "No connectivity." I checked the activity logs, and this is what it shows for the past 24 hours:

View attachment 967417

I drove maybe a total of 40 mins yesterday and today -- the rest of the time, the car was sitting in the garage. This is my wife's 2023 Model Y, sitting in the driveway (about 15 feet behind my car), also on 2023.26.8, over the past 24 hours:

View attachment 967418

I know that it's not Tessie causing any issues because I've been using the app for two years, and the Model Y isn't having issues. The Tessie app in the Help section suggests that maybe the 12V battery is failing. I dunno. Wi-Fi strength shouldn't and hasn't been a problem in the two years I've had the car. That car is sitting directly below the router in the bonus room.

I tried soft resetting the car and doing the power-off/brake pedal method to no avail. Maybe the RCM is the issue as stated above?
I don't know if it's the RCM, but I can say that when my car had the issue with the RCM, it NEVER went to sleep EXCEPT after a hard reboot (ie software update). Looks like yours did go to sleep for large chunks. I did notice my 2023 MYLR have some connectivity outages a few times throughout the day like yours indicates, but I figured that was due to my weak wifi signal from my wifi point. It does look like something's waking up the car though, and a weak 12V would do that, but just thought I'd chime in that my RCM problem was persistent 24/7 and never let the car sleep.

Curious if anyone goes through the same when vehicle is in park No features turned on like Sentry, Cabin, using the app etc.

I live in Florida

But usually “Standby” parking if I am park outside with sun directly my usage in 9 hours can be 2.5-3.4%

1.2 between 9:00am-12:00am ( chill in the car for 1 hour during lunch with AC ON ) Then 1-6 Pm can loose another 1.5% in the standby park measurement ( aside from screen time which is AC )

Yesterday when I go home from work (30 miles away Highway only ) I park inside the garage unplugged to just test park drain under shade which I get it still hot.

For 24 hours I noticed 2% but once you check Tessie it shows it actually drained it 30 minutes after I park the vehicle

- would that be the car cooling down the battery and then goes in deep sleep ? I wasn’t there to check if anything turned on or anything

But when it went down the 2% the first 30 minutes after parking it kept the same battery % for the next 24 hours

I’m asking just to make sure it’s normal behavior since I do see people getting 1% average drain /day but of course. It doesn’t really play factor that I drove and parked specially in hot weather

I am guessing the Vehicle when I lock and walk away it would do some work to cool down battery or something

Any input would help!

2k miles 2 months old

Attachments

• IMG_2841.png
    IMG_2841.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60