Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimum tile weight for install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's possibly a great consideration BEFORE they already spent money and resources on design, 2 permits, and 6 man x 2 truck load and roll. By declining the job now, they're trading a possible profit reduction for a guaranteed financial and reputation loss.
I think they are trying to shield themselves from future expense. Walking away is a risk mitigation strategy. If they break a bunch of tiles they may not be able to get enough of the tiles to match the expiring ones. Customers get upset when they look like our roof did. With 3 or 4 different shades and textures of brown tiles after a decade. All because the original maker was out of business.

I had many Energysage installers provide quotes before I shifted over to Tesla after they did their big price drop. None had an issue with my roof. I'm signing with a local installer tonight for 34 x 360W LG (black) panels and iq7+ micros. It's more expensive than Tesla's original quote but far cheaper than their quote with the reroof. I think it's better equipment than what Tesla specs ... or at least that's what I keep telling myself for moving forward at this now higher price than what I was hoping to get from Tesla. I anticipate a near zero chance this will be a two month affair ending in failure.

I reached out to my Tesla advisor to see if they can adjust my contract to do just the two Powerwalls after my solar is done. Given their track record so far, I'm not optimistic this part can/will go smoothly and/or get done this year.

I had many Energysage installers provide quotes before I shifted over to Tesla after they did their big price drop. None had an issue with my roof. I'm signing with a local installer tonight for 34 x 360W LG (black) panels and iq7+ micros. It's more expensive than Tesla's original quote but far cheaper than their quote with the reroof. I think it's better equipment than what Tesla specs ... or at least that's what I keep telling myself for moving forward at this now higher price than what I was hoping to get from Tesla. I anticipate a near zero chance this will be a two month affair ending in failure.

I reached out to my Tesla advisor to see if they can adjust my contract to do just the two Powerwalls after my solar is done. Given their track record so far, I'm not optimistic this part can/will go smoothly and/or get done this year.

Ha...exactly the same happened to me, and I chose the same 34 panels but with the IQ7A micros.
My advisor recommended to cancel the current order and place new one for Powerwalls....will be interested to know what yours says.

My advisor, Liz just told me canceling and reordering was the only option -- for all the talk on battery day about efficiency and streamlining processes, they seem to be missing that mark by a loooooong way.

With a fresh order and based on my recent experience with them, I'm guessing there is very little chance the battery portion can get done this year under the current ITC. As such, I might as well hold off on storage until next year to see what new options or pricing might become available then.

And now she is saying that my deposit is not refundable even though section 3 of the contract very clearly states that it is refundable if they change the terms in a negative way (which they did) and I refuse (which I did). Truly shameful.

And now she is saying that my deposit is not refundable even though section 3 of the contract very clearly states that it is refundable if they change the terms in a negative way (which they did) and I refuse (which I did). Truly shameful.
I would look to escalate that. While I think Tesla instructing you to cancel/re-order for PWs only is actually reasonable since it is a very different request than Tesla solar + PW, not refunding in this case seems wrong since they declined to install on your current roof.

Along with the recent reports Tesla is not taking CCs except for deposits, it is a bit concerning that they may have taken some of their pro-customer policies that maybe some took advantage of and swung too far the other way.

I would look to escalate that. While I think Tesla instructing you to cancel/re-order for PWs only is actually reasonable since it is a very different request than Tesla solar + PW, not refunding in this case seems wrong since they declined to install on your current roof.

Along with the recent reports Tesla is not taking CCs except for deposits, it is a bit concerning that they may have taken some of their pro-customer policies that maybe some took advantage of and swung too far the other way.

4-5 weeks ago we paid for SolarRoof with CC. They use PayPal as the processor and they had no issue or extra fee for our Visa card.

4-5 weeks ago we paid for SolarRoof with CC. They use PayPal as the processor and they had no issue or extra fee for our Visa card.
Yes, but in the last week there have been reports of people calling Tesla and being told that the new policy is not to accept CCs - Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for TESLA Solar

We did the same with our solar roof - paying by CC via PayPal - but that was several months ago.

I used a local installer and they were able to use my existing roof and tiles. When they were done, they sent a roofer to replace the tiles they broke (~20). While my installer couldn't match Tesla's install price, it was still FAR cheaper when you consider the cost-upper they wanted to charge for the partial roof downgrade. I now have 34 x LG 360W panels and Enphase IQ7+ micro-inverters with IQ-Envoy for production/consumption monitoring. This is the identical DC rating as the Tesla system but my installer was able to fit them into just 2 of the 3 roof exposures Tesla had planned to use so there's room for another 10 panels, if needed.

Now I need to work on the storage side of things.