Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota - FSD Beta Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video #27 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to McDonalds

Dan,

On your return trip with the early stop on Central before NE 37th, it might be due to Reservoir coming in from the side that confuses FSD on the size of the intersection. Watch the visualization for clues it might be thinking this intersection is larger than it is. Another interesting test if you're so inclined would be to come out of Reservoir at Central and try to go west.

As always, great video!

First off thank you for watching and second that is excellent feedback! You are right when watching the visuals it looks exactly like it is stopping at where it thinks the intersection boundary should be while ignoring the curb in between. I will try and do a video in the next day or so coming down Reservoir to see how it reacts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan

• Love
Reactions: power.saver
Video #29 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - NE Minneapolis Test Loop (Day)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day 2021 of FSD Beta 10.5 driving me around a test loop that I came up with in Northeast Minneapolis. I will be doing this drive after each release with the goal of testing for improvements as well as regressions (daytime & nighttime). My current thoughts of FSD Beta 10.5 so far:
  • Good
    • Improved Turning Confidence - The car is noticeably more confident when turning either left or right at intersections with traffic lights or stop signs (4-way stops) than it previously was in FSD Beta 10.4.
    • Braking Inputs - The braking inputs continue to get better and from what I can tell Tesla has made another step here with 10.5.
    • Average Width Unmarked Roads - The car is noticeably better in FSD Beta 10.5 at positioning itself more towards the righthand curbing when traversing average width city streets.
    • Detection of Pedestrians - The car does a great job at spotting hidden pedestrians and reacting in a properly cautious manner.
  • Needs Work
    • Side Visibility With Approaching Traffic - The car seems to have trouble quickly calculating the closing speed of approaching vehicles (left or right) when waiting to turn onto a road from a dead stop. This can lead to some close calls one of you which you see at the beginning of this video.
    • Handling of yellow light when in middle of intersection - Tesla still needs to work on how the car handles scenarios when it is in the middle of an intersection with a yellow light (solid, not flashing) where the light changes to red.
    • Creep behavior when making turns (left or right) - The car still doesn't smoothly roll into the intersection when waiting to turn left or right. Instead I noticed the car will repeatedly go from throttle to brake making for a very jarring experience.
    • Planner not using short turn lanes - As was the case with FSD Beta 10.2 - 10.4, the car still fails to use shorter turn lanes confusing surrounding drivers.
    • Sweeping turns - When turning left at a busy intersection, the car should refrain from attempting sweeping lines when turning and instead take a more point & shoot approach. Aligning itself to either the painted inside line or the curb would help make the car's intent more predictable.
    • Wide Unmarked Roads - The car still likes to position itself in the center of wider unmarked roads even with oncoming traffic. If cars are not parked on the shoulder of the direction we are traveling the car should bias itself more towards the curb vs dead center in the entire road.
    • Unnecessary Braking For Vehicles Turning Ahead - When a vehicle up ahead is turning right FSD will unnecessarily brake for them even though they are for sure turning and out of our driving path. I'd like to see the car on Assertive maintain our speed and go around the turning car in the event of them going slower to make their turn.
    • Auto High Beam Usage - Needs attention as the car likes to flash other drivers & pedestrians especially in well lit urban environments.
    • Some 3-way & 4-way Stops Still A Problem - At several 3-way or 4-way stops near me the car will always overly hesitate even when there are no cars present (and visibility is clear).
    • Out of date maps - Need I say more at this point?

Video #30 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to Parents’ House Drive

This video contains footage recorded on November 26th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.5 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN). I most recently drove this route on 2021-11-08 and wanted to see if I noticed any changes between FSD Beta 10.4 and 10.5. As there are plenty of straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary.

Video #31 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to Friend's House

This video contains footage recorded on November 27th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.5 driving my wife and I from our home (NE Minneapolis) to our friend's house (Highland Park - St. Paul, MN). Along the way we make a quick stop at Red Cow (St. Paul) to pickup some tasty takeout food. As there are several straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary.

Video #31 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to Friend's House

This video contains footage recorded on November 27th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.5 driving my wife and I from our home (NE Minneapolis) to our friend's house (Highland Park - St. Paul, MN). Along the way we make a quick stop at Red Cow (St. Paul) to pickup some tasty takeout food. As there are several straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary.
At 2:07 it looks like FSD thought the road it turned onto was part of a divided highway. The visualization showed the center line as white instead of yellow which probably allowed it to drive in the oncoming lane. Yikes!

Reactions: dburkland
At 2:07 it looks like FSD thought the road it turned onto was part of a divided highway. The visualization showed the center line as white instead of yellow which probably allowed it to drive in the oncoming lane. Yikes!

It was so bizarre and I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue even at night. You would think it would understand which lane to turn into based on map data but I guess not 🤷‍♂️

Which road was that - how is it in TomTom / OSM maps ?

Turning left onto St. Anthony Parkway, here is what OSM shows

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
Video #32 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Shortened NE Minneapolis Test Loop (Snow Storm)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of Friday, December 10th of FSD Beta 10.5 driving me around a shortened version of my Northeast Minneapolis test loop during a winter storm. Going into this drive I had very low expectations based on videos from other Youtubers however I came away thoroughly impressed. Although I encountered several disengagements along the way, the car did a fantastic job mapping out driving space even when curbing & road lines were covered (completely or partially) by snow. We are only at the beginning of winter here in Minnesota so expect many more FSD + winter videos over the coming weeks. In the meantime, fellow Youtuber Brian Riebe has some great content out there including some FSD Beta videos of his own that I highly recommend you check out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/brianriebeart/videos.

Video #33 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.6.1 - Home to Work

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of December 14th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.6.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my company’s office (Edina, MN). The beginning part of this drive shares a similar route to my NE Minneapolis Test Loop so since time was limited I wanted to see if I immediately noticed any behavior changes with FSD Beta 10.6.1.

Can the car be programed to respond to road conditions? Automatically slowing down when roads are not conducive to going the speed limit? Automatically adjusting it's self to the tires loosing traction.

In its current state I believe FSD is doing some condition detection & analysis. For now their reaction is fairly primitive in that FSD simply disengages when loss of grip becomes too much.

Video #35 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.6.1 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (No Highway)

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of December 17th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.6.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN), all on city streets (no highways). We received a slight dusting of snow earlier in the day however most of the streets were already clear and any of the issues encountered were not a result of the conditions.

00:00 - Intro
01:08 - More Success When Engaging FSD from Driveway
01:45 - Persistent Issue - FSD Continues To Overly Hesitate At Particular 3-way Stop
02:21 - Possible Improvement - Confident Handling Of Right Turn Onto Johnson St NE
02:58 - Possible Improvement - Improved Handling Of Left Turn w/ Late Apex
03:38 - Persistent Issue - FSD Continues To Overly Hesitate At Particular 4-way Stop
03:56 - Excellent Handling Of Left Turn w/ Late Apex
04:27 - FSD Continues To Properly Handle This Particular 4-way Stop
05:12 - Persistent Issue - Confusion w/ Path Selection After Crossing Intersection
05:55 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - More Confusion w/ Path Selection After Crossing Intersection
06:36 - New Issue - Planner Has Trouble Making Lane Choice
06:58 - FSD Continues To Handle This Left Turn w/ Ease
07:38 - Possible Improvement - Smooth Deceleration When Approaching Particular Intersection
08:00 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - Car Incorrectly Treats Shoulder As Lane
08:40 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - Car Again Incorrectly Treats Shoulder As Lane
09:30 - New Issue - More Confusion w/ Path Selection While Crossing Particular Intersection
09:51 - Disengagement / New Issue - FSD Turning Onto Oncoming Lane Of Traffic
10:27 - Persistent Issue - Car Stays In Middle Of Unmarked Lanes Before Turn
10:48 - Smooth Left Turn With Laterally Approaching Traffic
11:56 - Possible Improvement - Improved Confidence w/ Previously Problematic 3-way Stop
12:14 - Mapping Issue - Car Slows Down For No Apparent Reason
13:32 - FSD Again Doing A Great Job w/ 4-way Stop
13:42 - Persistent Issue - Car Again Stays In Middle Of Unmarked Lanes Before Turn
14:30 - Disengagement - I Nudged FSD Too Much Here

Video #35 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.6.1 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (No Highway)

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of December 17th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.6.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN), all on city streets (no highways). We received a slight dusting of snow earlier in the day however most of the streets were already clear and any of the issues encountered were not a result of the conditions.

01:08 - More Success When Engaging FSD from Driveway
01:45 - Persistent Issue - FSD Continues To Overly Hesitate At Particular 3-way Stop
02:21 - Possible Improvement - Confident Handling Of Right Turn Onto Johnson St NE
02:58 - Possible Improvement - Improved Handling Of Left Turn w/ Late Apex
03:38 - Persistent Issue - FSD Continues To Overly Hesitate At Particular 4-way Stop
03:56 - Excellent Handling Of Left Turn w/ Late Apex
04:27 - FSD Continues To Properly Handle This Particular 4-way Stop
05:12 - Persistent Issue - Confusion w/ Path Selection After Crossing Intersection
05:55 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - More Confusion w/ Path Selection After Crossing Intersection
06:36 - New Issue - Planner Has Trouble Making Lane Choice
06:58 - FSD Continues To Handle This Left Turn w/ Ease
07:38 - Possible Improvement - Smooth Deceleration When Approaching Particular Intersection
08:00 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - Car Incorrectly Treats Shoulder As Lane
08:40 - Disengagement / Persistent Issue - Car Again Incorrectly Treats Shoulder As Lane
09:30 - New Issue - More Confusion w/ Path Selection While Crossing Particular Intersection
09:51 - Disengagement / New Issue - FSD Turning Onto Oncoming Lane Of Traffic
10:27 - Persistent Issue - Car Stays In Middle Of Unmarked Lanes Before Turn
10:48 - Smooth Left Turn With Laterally Approaching Traffic
11:56 - Possible Improvement - Improved Confidence w/ Previously Problematic 3-way Stop
12:14 - Mapping Issue - Car Slows Down For No Apparent Reason
13:32 - FSD Again Doing A Great Job w/ 4-way Stop
13:42 - Persistent Issue - Car Again Stays In Middle Of Unmarked Lanes Before Turn
14:30 - Disengagement - I Nudged FSD Too Much Here
Looks like at 9:51 it again couldn't distinguish the center line on the street being turned onto, not good. But then why not head to the right side like it did at a couple of other locations on the drive? Strange and a bit scary.

Thanks for the video. Hope you get 10.7 soon!

Reactions: dburkland
Looks like at 9:51 it again couldn't distinguish the center line on the street being turned onto, not good. But then why not head to the right side like it did at a couple of other locations on the drive? Strange and a bit scary.

Thanks for the video. Hope you get 10.7 soon!

Yea and as you can see the yellow lines are easily visible so not sure why it had trouble there, very bizarre. Did another drive today and had a fair share of issues so definitely looking forward to 10.7 / 10.8!

How long does it take and did it take in earlier releases ? Wonder if there is a mapping issue there.

BTW, for me right turn from stop on a T junction used to take 10 seconds with no traffic. With 10.6.1 it takes 3 seconds.

I want to say with the creep it used to take 6+ seconds to clear the intersection as compared to now which takes ~4 seconds. It's a minor annoyance however that intersection is 99% of the time empty so I rather the car perform a quick rolling stop and then proceed like it does at others. Also after my drive today (video will be posted tomorrow), I can definitely say there is a noticeable improvement with handling left or right turns onto busier roads when traffic is approaching from either side in 10.6.1. On top of that approaching slower traffic or intersections the car is again smoother on braking and throttle inputs vs 10.5.

Video #36 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.6.1 - NE Minneapolis Test Loop (Day)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of December 19th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.6.1 driving me around a test loop that I came up with in Northeast Minneapolis. I will be doing this drive after each release with the goal of testing for improvements as well as regressions (daytime & nighttime). My current thoughts of FSD Beta 10.6.1 so far can be found here:

Positive / Improvements
  • Improved Confidence When Turning Onto Busier Roads - The car seems to be more confident when turning left or right onto busy roads.
  • Better Path Selection On Tight Left Turns - The car is noticeably better at line selection on left turns with a late apex.
  • Yield Behavior Before Turn Much Improved - The car does a much better job at smoothly yielding to approaching traffic by creeping forward until it is safe to turn. In previous builds the car would notoriously jam on the brakes and surprise following traffic.
  • Faster Handling Of Traffic Light Transitions - FSD does a noticeably better job in 10.6 of handling traffic light transitions as it approaches an intersection.
  • Smoother Deceleration When Approaching Slower or Turning Traffic - The car does a noticeably better job of decelerating when it reaches slower or turning vehicles.
  • Smoother Pedestrian Reactions - The car does a much better job of slowly coming to a stop as it comes up on pedestrians crossing an intersection. Before the car would be noticeably more jerky with brake inputs and would unnerve following traffic.
  • Snow Covered Roads - The car seems to do a pretty decent job of handling fully snow covered roads.
Needs Work
  • Merging - It is apparent Tesla tried something new in regards to merging with FSD Beta 10.5 & 10.6 it is unusable in its current state. The car will quickly alternate between accelerating and decelerating until you are nearly car sick. This issue is apparently addressed in FSD Beta 10.7.
  • Jaywalking Pedestrians - After detecting jaywalking pedestrians the car will abruptly slam on the brakes, even if they have a low probability of crossing our planned path. This issue also appears to be addressed in FSD Beta 10.7.
  • Planner Behavior w/ Partially Snow Covered Roads - When curbs are partially snow covered the car tends to stay too closely to them resulting in numerous disengagements.
  • Decision Making Re: Approaching Traffic - The car still seems to struggle with determine how fast oncoming traffic is accelerating and quickly making decisions on whether to yield or initiate a turn.
  • Side Visibility With Approaching Traffic - While detection of laterally approaching traffic seems to have been improved in 10.6 it still remains a problem area for FSD Beta and requires further attention.
  • Behavior When Light Transitions From Yellow To Red - When crossing an intersection the car still will sometimes slam on the brakes when the light changes from yellow to red even if you are already 90% through the intersection.
  • Use Of Short Turn Lanes - As was the case with FSD Beta 10.2 - 10.5, the car still fails to use shorter turn lanes confusing surrounding drivers.
  • Transition From 1 to 2 Lanes - After crossing an intersection where the road transitions from 1 to 2 lanes (same direction) the car will abruptly move to the right-most lane. This behavior surprises surrounding traffic and has resulted in numerous disengagements.
  • Sweeping Lines - When turning left at a busy intersection, the car should avoid using a sweeping line and instead take a more point & shoot approach. Aligning itself to either the painted inside line or the curb would help make the car's intent more predictable.
  • Wide Unmarked Roads - The car still likes to position itself in the center of wider unmarked roads even with oncoming traffic. If cars are not parked on the shoulder of the direction we are traveling the car should bias itself more towards the curb vs dead center in the entire road.
  • Auto High Beam Usage - Needs attention as the car likes to flash other drivers & pedestrians especially in well lit urban environments.
  • Some 3-way & 4-way Stops Still A Problem - At several 3-way or 4-way stops near me the car will always overly hesitate even when there are no cars present (and visibility is clear).
  • Out of date maps - Need I say more at this point?
00:56 - Possible Improvement - Faster Handling Of Particular 4-way Stop In 10.5 & 10.6
01:22 - Disengagement - FSD Stays Too Close To Partially Snow Covered Curb
01:38 - Confirmed Improvement - Increased Confidence w/ Left Turn Onto 37th Ave NE
02:12 - Mapping Issue - Car Incorrectly Attempts To Use Turn-Only Lane
02:33 - Disengagement - Planner Gets Confused For No Apparent Reason
03:31 - Possible Improvement - Perfect Handling Of Previously Problematic 4-way Stop
04:03 - Disengagement - FSD Again Stays Too Close To Partially Snow Covered Curb
04:42 - Disengagement - Navigation Fail On Driver’s Part
05:04 - Persistent Issue - FSD Gets Confused With Approaching Car & Abruptly Stops Right Turn
05:59 - Mapping Issue - Planner Continues To Get Confused On This Particular Road
06:40 - Disengagement - Planner Gets Confused And Car Strays Too Much Toward Center Line
06:57 - Disengagement - Planner Again Gets Confused And Car Strays Too Much Towards Center Line
07:28 - Disengagement - Persistent Issue Where Car Does Not Stay Close Enough To Right Curb
07:57 - FSD Performing Smooth Left Turn
08:26 - Confirmed Improvement - Smoother Handling Of Approaching Traffic When Making Left Turn
09:11 - Confirmed Improvement - Human-like Handling Of Traffic Light Transition When Approaching Intersection
09:58 - Disengagement - FSD Not Yielding To Approaching Traffic
10:40 - Mapping Issue - Car Will Not Proceed On Green
11:17 - Disengagement - Planner Incorrectly Attempts To Use Bike Lane
12:16 - Possible Improvement - Better Handling Of Left Turn w/ Late Apex
12:54 - Mapping Issue - Car Incorrectly Attempts To Use Right Lane (Parking)
13:46 - Disengagement - Planner Again Gets Confused By Partially Snow Covered Road
14:42 - Disengagement - More Planner Issues Where Car Refuses To Use Turn Lane
15:24 - Great Job Yielding To Crossing Pedestrian Before Making Smooth Right Turn
15:58 - Possible Improvement - Car No Longer Hits Brakes For Disabled Bridge Light
16:42 - Confirmed Improvement - FSD Much Smoother When Approaching Turning Cars From Behind
17:43 - Excellent Cone Detection Even w/ Partially Snow Covered Road
18:08 - Confirmed Improvement - Another Example Of Improved Handling Of Approaching Traffic When Making Left Turn
18:51 - Confirmed Improvement - Improved Confidence w/ Rolling Stop At Empty 4-way Stop
19:06 - Issue - FSD Incorrectly Visualizes Snow Covered Shoulder As Drivable Lane
19:22 - Car Continues To Excel w/ Left Turn At This Particular 4-way Stop
20:14 - Possible Improvement - Car More Quickly Proceeds At Previously Problematic 4-way Stop
21:06 - FSD Confidently Turning Right On Red
21:47 - Persistent Issue - Bad Line Selection Puts Us On Slippery Road Surface
22:11 - Disengagement - Avoiding Small Tree Branch
22:32 - Persistent Issue - FSD Overly Hesitates At Empty 3-way Stop

Video #37 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.6.1 - Home to Parents’ House

This video contains footage recorded on December 21st, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.6.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN). Just before the start of this drive we got a light dusting of snow so the first part of the video does a good job illustrating how FSD Beta currently performs in mixed conditions. In this video we also see some new behavior as a result of the road conditions that I later test (once the roads were clear) to highlight a current limitation. As there are plenty of straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary.

00:54 - More Success When Engaging FSD From Driveway
01:17 - Issue - FSD Not Yielding For Approaching Traffic
02:05 - Confirmed Improvement - Increased Confidence w/ Left Turn Onto 37th Ave NE
02:16 - Disengagement - Excessive Throttle Input Results In Slide
02:38 - Mapping Issue - Car Incorrectly Attempts To Use Turn-Only Lane
03:23 - Persistent Issue - Planner Gets Confused For No Apparent Reason
03:54 - Persistent Issue - Dear Tesla, PLEASE FIX YOUR MAPS!
05:03 - Confirmed Improvement - Perfect Handling Of Previously Problematic 4-way Stop
05:27 - Possible Improvement - Planner Properly Uses Shared Bike + Turn Lane When Turning Right
06:44 - FSD Confidently Changing Lanes On Snow Covered Road
07:30 - Car Avoids Partially Snow Covered Turn Lane and Smoothly Exits Highway
07:52 - Persistent Issue - Tricky Uphill Turn Continues To Be Challenging For FSD
08:51 - Near Perfect Left Turn
09:41 - Confident Left Turn Onto Partially Snow Covered Road
10:11 - Confident Right Turn Onto Fully Snow Covered Road
10:26 - Start Of Return Trip Home
10:48 - Confirmed Improvement - Another Example Of Increased Confidence w/ Left Turns Onto Busy Roads
11:09 - FSD Avoiding Collision w/ Impatient Pickup Driver
11:33 - Persistent Issue - Car Incorrectly Stops Even When It Has Its Own Lane
12:00 - Persistent Issue - FSD Continues To Struggle With Particular Tight Right Turn
12:32 - Persistent Issue - Merge Code Broken Since FSD Beta 10.5
13:20 - FSD Confidently Changing Lanes On Partially Snow Covered Road
13:38 - Issue - Not Enough Regen When Approaching Slowing Car
14:34 - Issue - Again Not Enough Regen When Approaching Slowed Car
15:05 - Solid Left Turn
15:31 - Confirmed Persistent Issue - Planner Refuses To Use Shared Bike + Turn Lane When Turning Right
16:00 - Persistent Issue - Cut-In Detection Still Needs Work
16:35 - Issue - Car Unnecessarily Hugging Center Line
16:46 - Issue - Car Carrying Too Much Speed For Conditions When Making Right Turn