Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

minor body work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Our 3 requires some minor body work. Is it okay to take it down to a regular body shop? We are in Fort Collins, CO and the Tesla service center is on the other side of Denver. If somebody has a relatable experience in the northern Colorado area, it would be most helpful. 3s are all over the place here now.
Thanks
KP

Hello, Our 3 requires some minor body work.
Is it okay to take it down to a regular body shop? We are in Fort Collins, CO and the Tesla service center
is on the other side of Denver. If somebody has a relatable experience in the northern Colorado area, i
t would be most helpful. 3s are all over the place here now. Thanks
If there is no body damage and no replacement part to order it seems that you don't need to use a certified Tesla body shop,
but you should talk and show the issue to the body shop you have in mind to get better advice.
However, minor dings on aluminium body parts might be difficult to work on, I had a full rear wheelhouse replace because of that.

What Watts_Up said. If it involves any tweaking of an aluminum body panel - make sure your shop has experience with aluminum.
Don't tell me, it was like a Matryoshka dolls story. I wish the body shop would have been able to stretch a little bit my rear finder,
and put some plaster, and polish it, but they replaced the rear quarter panel, so they had to removed the glass roof to do so....

Thanks! I need to get a second opinion. For these minor jobs the certified shop quoted 6500 dollars. I don't think it is worth it for that much. The dent is in steel so it can be manipulated. Should be no different for a Tesla 3.

Good luck finding a non-certified body shop to work on it if it needs parts.

Model 3 parts are very easy to source. Either from Tesla or third party. My local service center said I can order almost anything I want as long as I have a vin. Body parts included. Certified shops always quote to replace everything even on steel and it's just cosmetic. Rear quarter dent will be several thousand because they need to disassemble the car to replace it even though it can be pulled. If Tesla wont sell a part, it can easily be sourced online. Model 3 is a very simple car to work on and take apart.

Reactions: Msjulie