Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor collision repair / San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
Referral Code
I'm asking for some guidance. The roadster cut a corner due to traffic, and the right side bottom panels all got damaged by the curb. One black mudflap is broken, the other three damaged. Oh, one (standard) rim too. We took it to Amato's, the only approved Tesla repairer in San Diego, and they basically said "We have no idea, never worked on a Roadster." They're off doing research with Tesla about what it will cost, but based on their guesstimate of $10k we have engaged the insurance company. Does anyone know of another repairer we should talk to? Any hints about... anything? I don't even really know what to ask. It's perfectly drivable, so maybe a repair shop in Orange County could even be considered. There's not much to see, but it's all five panels. Don't think there's anything structural.

IMG_1575.jpeg IMG_1577.jpeg IMG_1578.jpeg

In my head, Tesla approved is certified to work on aluminum. If your warranty is out, what is the point of using a Tesla approved body shop? If there are no structural damage, any good bodyshop should be able to fix this. Tell me if I am wrong.

Reactions: dhrivnak
@ggr I don't think that Spectrum in OC can help, the only time I used them was when the S had a little collision at UCI with a student. And if I remember correctly, Spectrum was the SECOND Tesla repair folks in the OC. Perhaps the guys for LA would be better at this.

Sorry to see and hear about the incident. I don't see anything needing specialized repair from the pics. The Carbon Fiber looks like its not cracked from the pic and its only scratches. In front of the rear tire looks the worse but I don't see anything that's really bad. Hows the bottom? Just scratches? Cracks? Hows the aluminum pan?

Sorry to see and hear about the incident. I don't see anything needing specialized repair from the pics. The Carbon Fiber looks like its not cracked from the pic and its only scratches. In front of the rear tire looks the worse but I don't see anything that's really bad. Hows the bottom? Just scratches? Cracks? Hows the aluminum pan?
Just scratches and cracks in the plastic as far as we can tell. I think the pan is probably fine. Can the plastic be repaired? I assumed it needs replacement.

Ok, so you got lucky I'd say. Plastic can't be repaired, has to be replaced. But what plastic are your referring to? The mud flaps? They usually get torn if caught on things and do need to be replaced in that case. Cast rims are pretty cheap.... you could have the damaged one refinished but not sure how well it'll match.

I wouldn't worry about hunting down a specialized Tesla repair shop. I'd more try to find someone who can do a top of the line paint match to your original color honestly. But if its the insurance company paying it all, go for the best of the best because its a car you do love.

Sorry to here about the bump.

As sn92 says it's out of warranty so maybe a Tesla approved repairer, especially one who hasn't actually worked on a Roadster before, is not the best place.

I'd post up on one of the Lotus Forums asking where they would take their car locally to you.

Yes the panels contain CF, but they are fundamentally made and bolted on in the same way as the composite panels on the various Lotuses. I'd also suspect those guys will know exactly which bits of the suspension to check following a bump.

Sorry to hear about your damage. Don't stress, as others stated this looks really minor. Usually the Tesla approved
places use a small amount of fiberglass repair if reinforcement is necessary on the carbon fiber and will probably
paint the entire side panel. Forget replacing
the side panels. These are huge one piece panels that are bolted and epoxied on.

One thing to watch is if it is not a tesla approved dealership, make sure they are not heat "baking" the
paint to high temperatures afterwards (or at least controlled temps ok with batt). I am not sure how many shops
are thermally curing their paints now.

Although I said "minor" we all know every ding really hurts when it comes to our roadsters :)

It should be fine, at least you will get any road rash on the rockers painted out!

Replacing the rear quarter panel is very involved. The shop that did mine had the service center pull and store the battery. They needed to get deep into the car. If you really do have to replace body parts, that original estimate is probably accurate and I wouldn't trust any other shop. Even if they've never worked on a Roadster before, they have the contacts at Tesla to guide them.

On the other hand, if it's just paint and a mud flap, you can likely take it anywhere. Wheels should be $300 each.

I'm asking for some guidance. The roadster cut a corner due to traffic, and the right side bottom panels all got damaged by the curb. One black mudflap is broken, the other three damaged. Oh, one (standard) rim too. We took it to Amato's, the only approved Tesla repairer in San Diego, and they basically said "We have no idea, never worked on a Roadster." They're off doing research with Tesla about what it will cost, but based on their guesstimate of $10k we have engaged the insurance company. Does anyone know of another repairer we should talk to? Any hints about... anything? I don't even really know what to ask. It's perfectly drivable, so maybe a repair shop in Orange County could even be considered. There's not much to see, but it's all five panels. Don't think there's anything structural.

View attachment 234422 View attachment 234424 View attachment 234425
Tesla will cover it since roadster did it. Was it AP1 or AP2

• Funny
Reactions: BLKMDL3
I just had a gouge in my rear quarter panel fixed at my local non-Tesla body shop, but mine was minor so they didn't have to remove it. I was the unlucky recipient of some bouncing metal chunks flying down the highway. I had the front bumper replaced, the front air intake screen, some of the front paint armor, the quarter panel fixed & painted, and had them remove and fix the peeling headlights for $1800. It took them 5 business days, but they pre-ordered the parts and paint from Tesla and had them ready to go (which took about 6 weeks).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and smac
I'm back with an update. I don't want to throw anyone under a bus, but the quote we finally got back was exorbitant, much greater than their initial estimate. So now I'm looking for recommendations for a fiberglass shop in San Diego, if anyone knows one. I'll also ask in the CA forum.

any good shop that works with fiberglass should be able to fix that. even if you end up painting that whole side, youre looking at around $2000 for paint + w.e fiberglass work. not sure why it would cost $10,000. that sounds insane.