Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had some phantom brakeing issues but nothing terribly dramatic. The car just slows by 10 or 20 mph, it does not slam on the breaks and come to a full, jarring stop. I had one yesterday near a freeway on-ramp that got me a little nervous, the car behind me was following fairly close and was pretty surprised and frustrated to see the car in front of him braking for no apparent reason. But nothing happened. If he'd been following even closer I'm not sure what the Tesla would have done. But most every time I've had phantom braking it's been no big deal.

Just discovered this thread. We have a '21 Model 3, and have made several trips on I-25 between Raton Pass (Colorado state line) and Albuquerque. We don't have FSD, but I've had the same PB issues as BobGillis with just Autopilot, mostly along I-25 but on occasion elsewhere as well. Almost got rear-ended on I-25 at the beginning of December, that was the worst one. I've essentially had to quit using Autopilot anywhere out of fear of an accident.

I bought a Datsun 310 in 1980 which had cruise control (obviously not adaptive). It worked fine. Almost a quarter way into the 21st century I now own a car that doesn't have any working cruise control, adaptive or otherwise. What is Tesla doing about it? What should I be doing about it?
We sold our model 3 because of phantom braking and bought a Honda Civic which has ACC, blindspot detection and lane assist. The Honda works perfectly all of the time. No scaring my wife witless it just works. I have no doubt other manufacturers also have working ACC too but sadly Tesla’s TACC is not fit for purpose in my experience.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The thing that irks me is that you would never see an article that said the driver of the (Ford, Toyota, BMW, whatever) was abruptly stopping and swerving before the crash. You would just imagine that the driver was avoiding something or was intoxicated. But if a Tesla is involved in any way, it's "it must be on autopilot. Those things are dangerous, they hit children..."

There was an accident in Palm Springs last year (it's been reported here on the forum) that involved a Tesla, which I believe was in the headline or subhead. It turns out the Tesla was rear-ended by another vehicle.
Its how advertising works. Its about what is going to get more clicks which in turn, equals more revenue.
Lets all be honest: If a headline says "Ford involved in Driver Assisted feature crash", not many will click on it. On the other hand, if the headline says "Tesla involved in Full Self Driving crash", its going to get more clicks, including from those who arent knowledgeable about Tesla but wonder "how could it crash if its Full Self Driving"? Curiosity is the new driver of lots of ad revenue