Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors and Wheel Design on CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3SLAROD

May 14, 2019
SoCal
Love the wheel styling from what I can see, almost look like 22”. I am not sure about those tiny mirrors though.

CB9806E8-A896-4B53-BB23-CB964C4E4A94.jpeg

Reactions: cusetownusa
The larger mirror on the truck looks better than the triangle in my opinion. If they are messing around with mirror design at this late stage of the game the Truck may not be ready for production until mid 2024. Any pictures on the wiper design? Will the camera have a split image? Large mirror view and spot mirror view?

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Those taillights though. You’ll need binoculars to see if the Cybertruck ahead of you brakes. Especially with the sun glare off the angled stainless body. 🤣🤣🤣

The video showed them when the brakes were applied which is double the size of the 'parking' brakes.

I really hate that they are so small as well as a missing 3rd brake light. Other manufacturers have studied brake light related accidents and it seems Tesla sometimes attempts "style" over real world human usage. I suspect there are regulations (federal) that detail visibility but I suspect it is subjective.

frJSx1k.jpg

The high center third brake light must be mounted above the taillights.. You can have one in the tailgate as long as there is one higher than the taillights. I just don't think that the production Truck will have the taillights that high.
I was curious to look (gov sites) for the 'mounted above the taillights' source of info but I could not find such a thing in my rabbit hole run.
Please advise.

Center High Mounted Stop Lamps (CHMSL) have been standard equipment on all new passenger cars manufactured on and after September 1, 1985 for sale in the United States. They are required by an October 1983 amendment [11] of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 [5]. CHMSL have also been standard equipment on all new light trucks (pickup trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles)manufactured on and after September 1, 1993 for sale in the United States, following an April 1991 amendment [12] of FMVSS 108.

CHMSL are red stop lamps mounted on the center line of the rear of a vehicle, generally higher than the stop lamps on the sides of that vehicle.

They are activated when the driver steps on the brake pedal and they are off at other times. The purpose of CHMSL is preventing crashes by reducing the reaction time for drivers to notice that the vehicle in front of them is braking.

y2BReCR.jpg

Above via: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

UhEQtat.jpg

Above from: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2012-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2012-title49-vol6-sec571-108.pdf

2eLvVEb.jpg

Above from: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2012-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2012-title49-vol6-sec571-108.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
1.3 Extension of CHMSL to light trucks Many of the safety standards that originally applied only to passenger cars were subsequently extended to light trucks (pickup trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles). The process accelerated after 1980, as light trucks became increasingly popular vehicles for personal transportation. To the extent that light trucks have the same types of crashes as cars, and similar driving exposure, it is often plausible to argue, without extensive additional research, that safety measures effective in cars are also likely to be effective in light trucks. In some cases, however, issues arise that complicate the feasibility of a standard in light trucks, or raise doubts about its potential benefits or costs. Following the successful debut of CHMSL on passenger cars in model years 1986-87, it became natural to consider extending the requirement to light trucks. The principal issue that complicated the extension to light trucks was the location of the CHMSL. It was not a problem for the smaller vans and sport utility vehicles, whose backsides are similar to station wagons. But on pickup trucks, the question arose whether to locate the CHMSL near the cab roof, where it might be less than perfectly conspicuous to the following driver (too high and too far forward, especially relative to the other rear lights), or on the tailgate, where there might be problems of durability and cost, and where the effect would be lost when the tailgate is open. Also, on certain large vans, there was a question if the CHMSL would be too high up to be fully conspicuous. In 1988, NHTSA conducted extensive tests of the reaction times of volunteers to simulated light trucks with CHMSL or with conventional brake lights. The reaction time for drivers following a truck with CHMSL was 0.09 seconds shorter than for drivers following a truck without CHMSL. That is just a slightly lower benefit than in passenger cars, where the reduction in reaction time with CHMSL was 0.11 seconds [14], p. 2. On the basis of this research and other information, the Final Regulatory Impact Analysis (FRIA) for light truck CHMSL asserted that the problems concerning location could be resolved and that the lamps would be effective for trucks, but granted that it might be slightly less effective than in cars (i.e., 9/11 as effective) [14], p. 21. The FRIA also asserted that in most light trucks the cost of CHMSL would be about the same as in passenger cars, but granted that costs might increase by about 50 percent in trucks that are produced in multiple stages - i.e., where the truck is modified prior to sale, obscuring the original CHMSL and requiring it to be moved to another location [14], p. 30. The April 1991 Final Rule allowed 2½ years lead time, till September 1993, for installation of CHMSL. In fact, CHMSL were phased in over a three-year period, MY 1991-94, since some trucks already had them before the Rule was published, while others did not get them until the effective date. That contrasts with the nearly simultaneous implementation of CHMSL in passenger cars (MY 1986 in all models except Cadillacs and very few others). Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, Chrysler Town & Country and Ford Explorer were the first to get CHMSL, in MY 1991. Ford's full-sized pickup trucks, and sport utility vehicles got them in 1992,

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pricedm