Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck's fatal flaw that they don't want you to know:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tons of reading on the internet about upper control arm failure and all trucks, fact is if you push the truck, each one with its own limits, they will break

• "Stronger than stock - While some vehicles have better quality OEM control arms than others, very few offroad vehicles come with an OEM control arm that's as strong as a quality aftermarket unit. Strength is important whether you want to go fast or crawl over obstacles."

point is, upgrade if you want protection
    btw, Tesla just posted a video of the CT doing Hell's Gate, it did well with its stock upper control arms

tons of reading on the internet about upper control arm failure and all trucks, fact is if you push the truck, each one with its own limits, they will break

• "Stronger than stock - While some vehicles have better quality OEM control arms than others, very few offroad vehicles come with an OEM control arm that's as strong as a quality aftermarket unit. Strength is important whether you want to go fast or crawl over obstacles."

point is, upgrade if you want protection
    btw, Tesla just posted a video of the CT doing Hell's Gate, it did well with its stock upper control arms

So did an old stock Subaru Legacy. These promo videos with engineers on site don't prove much.

There are a lot of factors Tesla engineers take into account that we don't know. One that I *do* know of is Tesla has a name for the safest cars on the road and doesn't want to lose that. Very possibly, that upper arm is part of the "crumple zone." You don't want the brittle aluminum knuckle to fail because it will snap. Better to have something with some ductility deform and absorb some of the energy. Now, if it deforms during normal use, that would be a problem but I have not seen any cases where that has happened.

Reactions: WyoDude
There are a lot of factors Tesla engineers take into account that we don't know. One that I *do* know of is Tesla has a name for the safest cars on the road and doesn't want to lose that. Very possibly, that upper arm is part of the "crumple zone." You don't want the brittle aluminum knuckle to fail because it will snap. Better to have something with some ductility deform and absorb some of the energy. Now, if it deforms during normal use, that would be a problem but I have not seen any cases where that has happened.

So exterior design has compromised the suspension…

Reactions: coleAK
So exterior design has compromised the suspension…
Design is always a trade-off of competing factors. Functionality, weight, cost, safety, manufacturability are just a few of the obvious ones that come immediately to mind. I guarantee there are many more and it is naive to assume this component somehow was a mistake. It was designed, simulated, and reviewed many times and then tested, possibly redesigned, qualified, and signed off. Tesla may be new to trucks but their employees aren't. They have some of the best, most experienced engineers working for them. I'm not saying mistakes aren't made but it isn't clear to me yet that this is the case here.

Design is always a trade-off of competing factors. Functionality, weight, cost, safety, manufacturability are just a few of the obvious ones that come immediately to mind. I guarantee there are many more and it is naive to assume this component somehow was a mistake. It was designed, simulated, and reviewed many times and then tested, possibly redesigned, qualified, and signed off. Tesla may be new to trucks but their employees aren't. They have some of the best, most experienced engineers working for them. I'm not saying mistakes aren't made but it isn't clear to me yet that this is the case here.
This part was a mistake. Unsure on which planet you live. It's too thin.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 05.47.54.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 05.47.54.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Yes, JPinaJeep is a troll. No doubt. That said, unlike Jeep, Tesla will take the feedback, validate it, and if needed improve the CT. Jeep has had - what? - ~60 years to get it right and they still make the Patriot.
I'm a troll now? Jeep has failed miserably on many models, and Tesla changed forever the automotive game. I loved the Model 3 Performance and the model S – like I said, I was super disappointed in the Cybertruck for so many reasons.

Calling me a troll doesn't change anything: People are paying $130k all inclusive for a truck that wasn't ready for market. It's still in beta. I am can praise Tesla when they do great things, but we gotta raise the expectations here.

Reactions: TessP100D