Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mismatching white doors/body relief

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your POC at Tesla ever explain how the heck the problem EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE, and what Tesla is doing to keep it from ever happening again?

This seems right out of the world of "you've gotta be kidding" mistakes, something that Tesla was supposed to leave behind . . . .

do you have pics of your car now? How badly mismatched are the panels? I had all 4 doors repainted and all the fenders blended 2 weeks after delivery. The shop kept it for 3 weeks. The shop did SO MUCH better of a job than the factory did. My original door panels were piss poor as if a 5 year old with a rattle can painted them. They paint was so splotchy with dark and light patches all over. Funny thing is every time I see any other white MY on the road I notice how bad all of them are painted.

Reactions: Reborn and raggedy
[QUOTE="hyperspeedy, post: 4986008, I had all 4 doors repainted and all the fenders blended 2 weeks after delivery. The shop kept it for 3 weeks. The shop did SO MUCH better of a job than the factory did[/QUOTE]

Did Tesla pay for this?

I'm wondering what that would cost? Given folks are spending 8K on PPF, I'm more inclined to have a shop repaint the car if the costs are comparable (not to mention the cost of removing PPF when you finally want to reveal that protected paint!)

When I had a bodyshop look at my doors/body with the color gun I was told it would be around $2-3k for them to correct it. I'd guess another $1k to adjust all the doors and rear hatch. The shop I want to use however is not a Tesla certed shop. I'm out in North CA so costs are a little higher here. Tesla is using whoever it uses near service center.

Last edited:
of course they paid for it. theres no way i would pay for a paint job on a brand new car lol. im guessing in the range of $3k? rough guestimate.

[QUOTE="hyperspeedy, post: 4986008, I had all 4 doors repainted and all the fenders blended 2 weeks after delivery. The shop kept it for 3 weeks. The shop did SO MUCH better of a job than the factory did

Did Tesla pay for this?

I'm wondering what that would cost? Given folks are spending 8K on PPF, I'm more inclined to have a shop repaint the car if the costs are comparable (not to mention the cost of removing PPF when you finally want to reveal that protected paint!)[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Reborn
of course they paid for it. theres no way i would pay for a paint job on a brand new car lol. im guessing in the range of $3k? rough guestimate.

Did Tesla pay for this?

I'm wondering what that would cost? Given folks are spending 8K on PPF, I'm more inclined to have a shop repaint the car if the costs are comparable (not to mention the cost of removing PPF when you finally want to reveal that protected paint!)
[/QUOTE]

$8K for PPF? That's serious premium. Feels like a PPF market bubble forming around here seeing how everyone flocks to it. Not to mention some "boutique" tint shops wanting upwards of $1k to tint Teslas. WTF!? I used to tint windows in college and I know exactly what those nano ceramic IR heat rejection films cost wholesale. I mean I get the windshield and glass roof are hard to do (2-person job) but side windows? It's even frameless. It's hysterical what people will pay once you up-sell them on the "premium quality". :D

So we are a single car family. I'm having a hard time figuring out how we'll go carless for the length of time to PPF, let along giving some shop my car for 3 weeks. As my city is a CV19 hotspot, I'm also concerned what happens if there's a shutdown in my city when the car is in the shop, half done.

If my car has a mismatch paint, it will be preserved for all to see under the PPF. (Maybe I'll spring for a wrap sign that says "this terrible paint job isTesla quality workmanship" to go with the PPF.)

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
So we are a single car family. I'm having a hard time figuring out how we'll go carless for the length of time to PPF, let along giving some shop my car for 3 weeks. As my city is a CV19 hotspot, I'm also concerned what happens if there's a shutdown in my city when the car is in the shop, half done.

If my car has a mismatch paint, it will be preserved for all to see under the PPF. (Maybe I'll spring for a wrap sign that says "this terrible paint job isTesla quality workmanship" to go with the PPF.)

if Tesla keeps your car for repairs, they’ll give you a loaner

I have had to elevate things, I drove an extra 50 miles to go to a different service center. 3 bodyshops Tesla works with near the SC.

hey Picasso, I'm not sure where you sit now with Tesla. Did you agree to have them repaint your doors or did you bargain for something else? I looked for your video on the excessive dust but you've taken it down. Did you not want to piss off Tesla or was that part of your negotiation to get them to agree to repaint those doors?

The video's served the purpose so I removed them. Dust leaking went away with the aftermarket double seal kit for the 3 many people linked to. The Tesla door seal rubbers are undergoing a redesign I've been told. Autobody shops are a little hesitant to paint right now near Sacramento because of ash/smoke it seems....

Edit: I was not asked to remove the videos I did that on my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy