Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed the Order Cutoff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Performance Model S Blue FSD on Nov 30. Original delivery date was supposed to be this week, but it looks like I didn't make the production cut date. Now I have no estimated delivery date. My SA tells me that I'm probably looking at early March. Did this happen to anyone else?

Curious if this might end up being a good thing if the production shut down is for some enhancements to the car.

I ordered a Performance Model S Blue FSD on Nov 30. Original delivery date was supposed to be this week, but it looks like I didn't make the production cut date. Now I have no estimated delivery date. My SA tells me that I'm probably looking at early March. Did this happen to anyone else?

Curious if this might end up being a good thing if the production shut down is for some enhancements to the car.
I read that production was temporary shut down on the S

Reactions: cwerdna

Nobody really knows. The shutdown is pretty short in the grand scheme of things, but Tesla has done fairly substantial things in the past with no apparent shutdown, so it's tough to say.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an interior refresh coming now, with an exterior and structure/powertrain/suspension update coming at the end of the year (to support Plaid/4680/structural pack which is both confirmed for Plaid and confirmed as not ready to be done now). But that's just me speculating.

You could possibly get an inventory car if you want one nearer than March. But yeah, you probably missed this quarter's production cut off.

I had the same thing happen to me when I placed my order for my S back in September. Too late in the quarter to get delivery. Just this cycle is a tad shorter due to the holidays near the end of the quarter, and of course the mystery shut down. Personally, I don't think it's a long enough shut down for any substantive refresh. Probably just upgrading some robots or something.

I ordered a Model X on Nov 30 with an estimated December delivery and my delivery window has also disappeared. An advisor told me a couple of days ago that she is still seeing a December delivery for me and the delivery window disappearing might mean I'm getting a VIN soon. I'm curious as to what your advisor is seeing that indicates you missed the production window. I'm starting to lose faith that I'm getting mine any time soon.

I ordered a Model X on Nov 30 with an estimated December delivery and my delivery window has also disappeared. An advisor told me a couple of days ago that she is still seeing a December delivery for me and the delivery window disappearing might mean I'm getting a VIN soon. I'm curious as to what your advisor is seeing that indicates you missed the production window. I'm starting to lose faith that I'm getting mine any time soon.

They can see more stuff. My delivery window was all over the place before my car arrived on Island.

Tesla is a quarterly driven company. They’ll try their best to get you your car before the end of the year.

If you want a car faster, you could consider a new inventory car.

There is 2020 blue MS Performance demo vehicle in your area (Chicago) with around an $11k discount.
2020 Model S | Tesla

There are other 2020s and 2021s out there too but may need to be shipped to your area (for a fee).