Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing 14-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very nice of the delivery team to mention this. I am trying the 110v outlet and it refuses to charge. I’ve tried 3 different outlets in my garage and they fail to start charging saying “Unable to Charge - check for an extension cord or bad utility wiring”. Any ideas? Is it my car or my home electrical?

It's your wiring. An outlet for charging is supposed to be a dedicated outlet. That means no other outlets on the circuit. At the beginning of charging the car monitors the voltage. If it drops too much charging will stop. This is to prevent overheating the wiring which could start a fire.

You may have outlets that were wired by pressing the wire into a hole in the receptacle. That makes a connection that works fine for table lamps but is a bad connection for charging. The wire needs to be wrapped around a screw and then tightened to make a solid connection.

The voltage is displayed on the charging screen. Watch the readings as charging starts.

It's your wiring. An outlet for charging is supposed to be a dedicated outlet. That means no other outlets on the circuit. At the beginning of charging the car monitors the voltage. If it drops too much charging will stop. This is to prevent overheating the wiring which could start a fire.

You may have outlets that were wired by pressing the wire into a hole in the receptacle. That makes a connection that works fine for table lamps but is a bad connection for charging. The wire needs to be wrapped around a screw and then tightened to make a solid connection.

The voltage is displayed on the charging screen. Watch the readings as charging starts.

thanks

Thanks. This helps me. I’ll have to go supercharge now and get a hold of a 14-50 adapter somehow soon.

Very nice of the delivery team to mention this. I am trying the 110v outlet and it refuses to charge. I’ve tried 3 different outlets in my garage and they fail to start charging saying “Unable to Charge - check for an extension cord or bad utility wiring”. Any ideas? Is it my car or my home electrical?
If you're still stuck with the 120v outlets, try this:

1. Lower your amps to the lowest possible setting (5 amps, IIRC).

2. Charge at the lowest setting for a while, then slowly bring it up to a higher amp setting every 15 minutes until your car stops charging.

3. Let everything cool off for half an hour, then try it again about 2 amps lower than where it shut off.

4. Monitor your electrical outlet's temperature and your app (to see if it kicks off again).

That will give you some juice while you find a NEMA 14-50 adapter:)

I was able to borrow a spare from a friend. I had a 14-50 outlet and was using my 2015 fine. I turned that mobile connector in, which was a mistake because they didn’t even check. Should have kept it! In all seriousness, their delivery today was terrible. I had a rim with curb rash and a tire with a cut in it (they replaced with a brand new rim and tire no questions asked) and then they couldn’t find the second key, and had to duplicate the key, which took another 30 minutes. It was a demo car, but still these issues shouldn’t happen. This was at the Mt. Kisko store/service center and I was there over 3 hours today.