Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing "Lock Confirmation Sounds" on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(1) 2016 Model X 90D running 2020.24.6.1 equipped with MCU/1 and HW3 and the Enhanced Anti-Theft
(2) 2017 Model S P100D running 2020.24.6.1 equipped with MCU/2 and HW3 (Infotainment Upgrade installed) and the Enhanced Anti-Theft

Why is it that the 2016 Model X has "Lock Confirmation Sounds", but the newer 2017 Model S does not?

Both are running the same 2020.24.6.1. Both are running the same map data (NA-2020.12-11866). Both have the Enhanced Anti-Theft installed and working perfectly.

Does the Model S not have "Lock Confirmation Sounds", or is something weird with mine?

See image below.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.31.31 PM.png

I thought the S didn’t have it at all. Extremely weird. The 3 got it and then it was added to the X (I tweeted at Elon repeatedly about it but that could be coincidence since I never got a response) and as far as I know the S didn’t get it.

This difference above is hard to figure out.

Reactions: croman
Little known fact....

while true the Model S doesn’t have this setting in the UI, there Has been for years a variable in the car’s hidden file system to enable this functionality (But it never actually did anything) and for some unknown reason in firmware 2020.16+ it started functioning and honk on lock and unlock now work on Model S if you have turned it on (requires root).

Little known fact....

while true the Model S doesn’t have this setting in the UI, there Has been for years a variable in the car’s hidden file system to enable this functionality (But it never actually did anything) and for some unknown reason in firmware 2020.16+ it started functioning and honk on lock and unlock now work on Model S if you have turned it on (requires root).

That's cool. Maybe I should root mine at some point.

(1) 2016 Model X 90D running 2020.24.6.1 equipped with MCU/1 and HW3 and the Enhanced Anti-Theft
(2) 2017 Model S P100D running 2020.24.6.1 equipped with MCU/2 and HW3 (Infotainment Upgrade installed) and the Enhanced Anti-Theft

Why is it that the 2016 Model X has "Lock Confirmation Sounds", but the newer 2017 Model S does not?

Both are running the same 2020.24.6.1. Both are running the same map data (NA-2020.12-11866). Both have the Enhanced Anti-Theft installed and working perfectly.

Does the Model S not have "Lock Confirmation Sounds", or is something weird with mine?

See image below.

View attachment 558954
Hello, I am a S 2020 owner and was very disappointed that we don't have a Lock Confirmation Sound option. So, after consulting some experts I came up with a clever solution. My wife and I have been using it for a year now, and works 100%. The sound is pleasant, its a very easu to install device, no programming, no screws, only a piece of credit plastic card is all you need to install it. I am selling it on ebay as: Tesla S Unique Door Lock Alarm Confirmation Sound. Very simple & very reliable. You can also see these two videos and how it works:
Our apologies for the amateur quality of the videos. But the sound confirmation works and you can see it. Thank you. Joe

I've never noticed that setting in my P85D, but its whatever because that would annoy the crap out of me. Why would you want your car to honk at you as you're walking away? it locks when you leave, it doesn't need to make a noise to prove that.

Exactly! There is no such a setting in our Model S, with my aftermarket device we have the power and can decide to turn it on or off at will.
Why a gentle sound (not a hunk) confirmation Is needed?
1. If you have children and the door did not close completely and you walk away
2. If the car is out of sight when you walk away
3. If one of the keys is inside the car when you walk away
4. If the other key is near the car as you walk away
5. If the trunk did not close (Also have a very simple hands free device to open trunk, very useful when carrying things)
In our case 1-4 happened too many times and we had to go back to the car, and sometimes, since cell signal is poor in our building, many times we found car stayed unlocked, not safe.
Understand your concern about noise contamination, we dislike that too, but our devise DOES NOT HUNK, OH NO! We found a pleasant sound at a decent frequency, believe it to be around 470MHz, that can reach a distance without disturbing.
Thank you for your input.
VoltsWagon

Reactions: KalJoMoS