Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitigate range loss in cold temperatures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I understand that the battery suffers significantly when it's cold out. Up here in the Northeast, there have already been plenty of days in the low 20's and the real cold is yet to come. I'm already finding that on the super cold days, I'm "using" ~50 miles of range to make the 23 mile drive to work. I'm curious to see how bad this gets when the temps drop below 0.

I already have started with reducing the interior temp from 70 to 60 degrees and using the seat warmer instead. I don't drive like a maniac so I can't really do much in terms of taking it easy with the acceleration. Does anyone have any other suggestions on improving my cold-weather range, or is this just what I have to get used to until spring comes around?

So I understand that the battery suffers significantly when it's cold out.
I don't think the battery is suffering (meaning damage is being done to it); more battery energy is being used to make passengers comfortable and overcome increased drag from cold air and components, thus resulting in less range. Also the battery takes longer to charge, and can't accept as much regeneration when driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: whippitbadger
If you are using 50 miles to go to work and 50 miles to come home, then charge every evening, then what's your problem? You've got plenty of range.

Best way to handle the loss of range, drive more conservatively. I find myself sometimes wanting traffic to slow a little, to get better range.

Reactions: TexasEV