Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charger amperage limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I got my new tesla highland 3 months ago. I used the mobile charger once a week to top up my car when I'm away. After two months of usage the charger stopped working. I used to charge for about 8+ hours on 13A without any problem - no heating whatsoever. The guy from tesla that dropped the replacement told me it's better for the charger to run at 10A. I took his advice for now but does it make sense?

While it may be 'better' in that it will be less likely to fail, you should expect the charger to be able to run at its max power without failure forever(within reason, like years)
I guessed so, I just worry that they may not replace it again within warranty if it fails. Not that they have a good reason to, but my experience with them in my country is quite bad. I don't even use it as my main charger, so I wonder what else could be the reason for it to fail after only 2 months.

Plugging in for eight hours a day at 13 amps can be harsh on electrical wiring. Most outlets would likely trip the breaker if you continuously run a 15-amp load. While running a 13-amp load isn't as severe, it could still be problematic if done for eight straight hours. Additionally, if another device sharing the same circuit is plugged in with the charger, it would probably cause frequent breaker trips at 13 amps.

Plugging in for eight hours a day at 13 amps can be harsh on electrical wiring. Most outlets would likely trip the breaker if you continuously run a 15-amp load. While running a 13-amp load isn't as severe, it could still be problematic if done for eight straight hours. Additionally, if another device sharing the same circuit is plugged in with the charger, it would probably cause frequent breaker trips at 13 amps.
Thanks, but I've not once had a breaker tripping. It worked fine until it didn't. The red t on the charger started blinking 3 times (according to this official guide it is a relay/contactor fault). After some times it started blinking all green/red on the t and the support team said it was faulty.

I had noticed that OP was in Israel and specifically avoided phrases like 32A as a result. The UMC should be capable of limiting power to what it can sustain regardless of which country/power supply its connected to.
So 13A should be safe and it was probably a faulty unit? How long can I charge on 13a without worrying about it? I know it's a hard question but it seems you're much more familiar than me :)

So 13A should be safe and it was probably a faulty unit? How long can I charge on 13a without worrying about it? I know it's a hard question but it seems you're much more familiar than me :)
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_EU.pdf says its good for 13A. It should in theory be able to do that forever(several years continuously). Even in normal charging, it'll run for 4+ hours, which is plenty of time for it to reach equilbriium(everything gets as hot as it ever will)

It was definitely a faulty unit. It isn't a hard question at all.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_EU.pdf says its good for 13A. It should in theory be able to do that forever(several years continuously). Even in normal charging, it'll run for 4+ hours, which is plenty of time for it to reach equilbriium(everything gets as hot as it ever will)

It was definitely a faulty unit. It isn't a hard question at all.
Thanks! Just to make sure, couldn't it be something with my home wiring?
Is there a time limit I should use for charging? I.e 6 hours and then stop charging for a while?

Thanks! Just to make sure, couldn't it be something with my home wiring?
Is there a time limit I should use for charging? I.e 6 hours and then stop charging for a while?
At least in the US, home wiring and breaker used for an EV is required to be slightly oversized to handle the continuous load(defined as >=3 hours of continuous draw). In general the electric code here is stupidly conservative, so that oversizing may not really be necessary.

If your wires/breaker weren't up to the task it would result in burning smells or the breaker tripping, NOT the UMC becoming defective.

At least in the US, home wiring and breaker used for an EV is required to be slightly oversized to handle the continuous load(defined as >=3 hours of continuous draw). In general the electric code here is stupidly conservative, so that oversizing may not really be necessary.

If your wires/breaker weren't up to the task it would result in burning smells or the breaker tripping, NOT the UMC becoming defective.
Thanks, so I might ignore his 10A suggestion, seeing that it'll charge much slower:
230V * 13A = 3kwh (~5% per hour)
230V * 10A = 2.3kwh (~3.5% per hour)

What I would suggest is letting it charge at 13a for an hour, at least. Stop the charge, immediately unplug the mobile connector and carefully feel the prongs and body of the plug and the face of the receptacle. If they seem too hot (like you can't keep your hand on it) then it might be worthwhile to dial the rate down.

Reactions: Acps110 and mulic
What I would suggest is letting it charge at 13a for an hour, at least. Stop the charge, immediately unplug the mobile connector and carefully feel the prongs and body of the plug and the face of the receptacle. If they seem too hot (like you can't keep your hand on it) then it might be worthwhile to dial the rate down.
Thanks! Already did it multiple times. It was never too hot. Not even close to too hot to the touch. I wonder what caused this charger to fail...

Maybe I shouldn't have charged for 8+ hours on 13a? I used the new charger I got twice already. Started on 10a then went to 12a. Still too afraid to try 13a fearing it might fail again 🫢
Actually I tried once to up it from 10 to 13 from the app. The car stopped charging. I went down to the parking and I saw the charger blinking green on the t. After a few seconds it started charging at 13a. After a few minutes I dropped it back to 10a, fearing it might damage it. It might have been a reception problem, my car is parking underground.

Thanks! Already did it multiple times. It was never too hot. Not even close to too hot to the touch. I wonder what caused this charger to fail...
Sometimes things go bad.

I use my TMC when I go out of town and visit friends and family on dryer outlets with 24 amp (240 volt), and a 6-50 at 32 amps with no worries. It is designed for use up to 32 amps.

Does the version sold in Israel different than 32 amps? I would not fear using the TMC at its rated capability, whatever that is if it is different than the US version.

Reactions: mulic
Sometimes things go bad.

I use my TMC when I go out of town and visit friends and family on dryer outlets with 24 amp (240 volt), and a 6-50 at 32 amps with no worries. It is designed for use up to 32 amps.

Does the version sold in Israel different than 32 amps? I would not fear using the TMC at its rated capability, whatever that is if it is different than the US version.
This is the one I got. In my country we get it with the car (we pay ~60,000 USD for the rwd version 😀). I got it with what they call a "Schuko adapter" rated for 13A max. My outlet is a standard 230V 16A.

Look just like the US version, just different adapter cables. The device itself can handle 32 amps. The Schuko adapter is only 13 amps.

I would have no issue running it at 13 amps with the Schuko adapter, or 32 amps with the 32 amp adapter if you have a receptacle that will do that.

Specs from the manual you posted a link to:

Screen Shot 2024-06-10 at 5.30.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-10 at 5.34.27 PM.png

Reactions: mulic
Look just like the US version, just different adapter cables. The device itself can handle 32 amps. The Schuko adapter is only 13 amps.

I would have no issue running it at 13 amps with the Schuko adapter, or 32 amps with the 32 amp adapter if you have a receptacle that will do that.

Specs from the manual you posted a link to:

View attachment 1055305

View attachment 1055307
So the device can take up to 32A. Essentially what I'm getting is that I will not risk the device getting ruined again running on 13A, so the tesla rep who brought me the replacement charger was wrong. Is it normal that when charging on 13A the voltage (as seen on the screen) occasionally changes to between 226-231 volts? Or is it a sign that the electricity line is having trouble to supply 13A. I will say again, the plug was never too hot to the touch, even after 8+ hours of charging.