TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile charger rated @ 40A but only giving up to 32A

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Kensiko, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

OK I just added a new outlet in my garage for the mobile charger for NEMA 14-50. It does not have 50 A available, only 30, so I will never charge more than 24 A. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see that I can only charge up to 32 A even if on the mobile charger it says it is rated at 40A. Could it be because I don't have the neutral wire connected ? I don't have it unfortunately in my garage.

2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Canadian 14-50 adaptors are limited to 32 amps, whereas American 14-50 adaptors are limited to 40 amps.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Thanks, so it's programmed in the mobile charger right ?

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

It's the 14-50 adapter that you are using with the UMC. The Canadian version limits it to 32 amps. The US version is limited to 40 amps. If you search around a bit, there are other threads on this forum discussing the adapters and how they are interchangeable.

5. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Ok you mean the removable adapter that you can change to a standard 120V outlet ?

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Yes. Previously the Canadian version would also allow 40 amps but they swapped them out for 32 amp versions last year.

Here's the thread I saw last year concerning the change: New UMC?

7. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Great thank you.

8. davewill

davewill Member

Please don't take shortcuts like this. If anyone ever plugged an appliance that expected a neutral into that outlet, it could easily ruin the appliance. If you absolutely cannot run a neutral wire, then change to a receptacle like a 6-50 that doesn't have one and make an adapter that you can slap "TESLA ONLY!!!!!" all over. Leaving it like this is a BAD idea.

• Helpful x 2
  9. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

K thanks for the suggestion. The 2 receptacles (L6-30 and 14-50) are connected to a 6-30 heater outlet in my garage using 10/3 wire. It's not a permanent installation, if someone in the future expects a neutral point he should check where it is connected