Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charger rated @ 40A but only giving up to 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I just added a new outlet in my garage for the mobile charger for NEMA 14-50. It does not have 50 A available, only 30, so I will never charge more than 24 A. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see that I can only charge up to 32 A even if on the mobile charger it says it is rated at 40A. Could it be because I don't have the neutral wire connected ? I don't have it unfortunately in my garage.

... Could it be because I don't have the neutral wire connected ? I don't have it unfortunately in my garage.
Please don't take shortcuts like this. If anyone ever plugged an appliance that expected a neutral into that outlet, it could easily ruin the appliance. If you absolutely cannot run a neutral wire, then change to a receptacle like a 6-50 that doesn't have one and make an adapter that you can slap "TESLA ONLY!!!!!" all over. Leaving it like this is a BAD idea.

K thanks for the suggestion. The 2 receptacles (L6-30 and 14-50) are connected to a 6-30 heater outlet in my garage using 10/3 wire. It's not a permanent installation, if someone in the future expects a neutral point he should check where it is connected