Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Starlink Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had assumed there was an official Maritime difinition of ship (vs. boat), but it appears perhaps not...

... the word boat is often used to refer to any watergoing vessel, regardless of its size or how it's powered. However, large oceanfaring watercraft—those that use multiple sails or engines—are more properly called ships. In contrast, the word ship isn't commonly applied to smaller craft.
It appears the Starlink service distinction is...

1706016768939.png

It appears the Starlink service distinction is...
Well, that's a statement of crew size. The distinction between boat and ship that I've heard (and that gets debated) is that a boat heels/leans into a turn while a ship heels away. Interestingly, submarines are called boats and they heel into turns. Not for the same reason as a surface vessel, but they do it.

Reactions: scaesare
Well, that's a statement of crew size. The distinction between boat and ship that I've heard (and that gets debated) is that a boat heels/leans into a turn while a ship heels away. Interestingly, submarines are called boats and they heel into turns. Not for the same reason as a surface vessel, but they do it.

I suspect the price/data plans are based more on the size/# of souls on a vessel than how it initiates turns... 😝

For a cruise with around 1000 passengers, $5K is pretty cheap. Even if just 10% subscribe to this service with $5 each day. that is a 100*5 = $500 revenue per day. And $15K per month. The cruise company not only gives uninterrupted internet service to the customer- which is the primary value add - but they can also make money.

I would think big ones like Carnival Cruise and Disney etc.. might need 3 or 4 satellite links, and they can still come out even or make money.

For a cruise with around 1000 passengers, $5K is pretty cheap. Even if just 10% subscribe to this service with $5 each day. that is a 100*5 = $500 revenue per day. And $15K per month. The cruise company not only gives uninterrupted internet service to the customer- which is the primary value add - but they can also make money.

I would think big ones like Carnival Cruise and Disney etc.. might need 3 or 4 satellite links, and they can still come out even or make money.
It should be interesting to watch how this all plays out over the next 10 years as people get used to the idea of having high speed access to the internet in so many new places. You suggest 10% of passengers might subscribe to the service. If I know that high speed access is there, will I start to change my perception of whether I'd take any/more internet devices with me? Would cruise lines start to invest in stuff that takes advantage of that internet access to provide new passenger services?

Reactions: scaesare