Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
So it appears that several of the new SCs are of the "Mobile" variety. Anyone have more info? Are these 135KW chargers? Didn't see a thread on this.

Frankly, it looks to me like a better term is "prefabricated". They appear to be designed to drop in place and get hooked up to power. A lot less site work would need to be done so it's quicker and cheaper to install. I wonder if this is the direction for the smaller SCs. Makes a lot of sense and could be how they plan to get to 200 SC in the next year or so.

So it appears that several of the new SCs are of the "Mobile" variety. Anyone have more info? Are these 135KW chargers? Didn't see a thread on this.

Frankly, it looks to me like a better term is "prefabricated". They appear to be designed to drop in place and get hooked up to power. A lot less site work would need to be done so it's quicker and cheaper to install. I wonder if this is the direction for the smaller SCs. Makes a lot of sense and could be how they plan to get to 200 SC in the next year or so.

As I said in another thread, Tesla uses the term "mobile" for its Superchargers in exactly the same way that it is used for most "mobile homes" in the U.S. Both are "prefabricated" as you say, and are connected to electricity on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

> Supercharger is overkill for a hotel. They need HPWC, NEMA14-50, or level 2 charging station, all are more than an order of magnitude less expensive than a supercharger. [TexasEV]

These lesser EVSEs could also be added NEXT TO existing SCs. Like at Glenwood Springs, CO where there is an unused space between the wooden stockade and the first SC bay. A J-1772 charger attached to the inside of the stockade with external plug/cable could serve Roadsters and the occasional guest Leaf. Ok, I see the problem, it would have to be a ChargePoint, etc EVSE with a Roadster GPS detector that would make it free for Roadsters.
--