Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 12v Battery issues, monitoring, Aftermarket replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds like a LOT of work to "never have a problem again" - sounds like you've got a problem every week! I've had my 3 for about 134 weeks (almost 50K miles) and have never once had a battery issue. I am sure I will, but the inconvenience of replacing will be a LOT less hassle than once per week maintenance (which involves removing the back seat).

I'll pass
I agree - I finally replaced my 12V at the ripe old age of 3 1/2 years. It took 10 minutes to pick it up at Tesla, and 5 minutes to install.

A battery that requires an additional battery maintainer is not something that I want in my life. Let's see, 15 minutes every 3 1/2-4 years to replace a lead acid battery, or (4yrs x 52 weeks x 3 minutes = ) 624 minutes spent maintaining a lithium battery.

A battery that requires an additional battery maintainer is not something that I want in my life. Let's see, 15 minutes every 3 1/2-4 years to replace a lead acid battery, or (4yrs x 52 weeks x 3 minutes = ) 624 minutes spent maintaining a lithium battery.
Yeah: I really don't get everyone's fascination with the Ohmmu at over $400 plus shipping.

Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
I just got my 2022 M3 right before Christmas , and I just got the error message saying that my 12V battery needs to be replaced. How is that possible? The car isn’t even 3 months old. I can’t get a service appointment for another week and a half and I can’t get a response from them when I chatted with service questioning if this was going to be a problem before my appointment. Is this a common problem?

I agree - I finally replaced my 12V at the ripe old age of 3 1/2 years. It took 10 minutes to pick it up at Tesla, and 5 minutes to install.

You're responding to and debating disinformation. There is no need to maintain a lithium ferric phosphate battery in the car. I've had one for 3 years. It's worked flawlessly. When Tesla changed their charging protocols that the battery management system saw as overcharging, Ohmmu quickly responded and provided an updated battery

~20 lb weight loss
Is saving one half of one percent really that big of a deal?
10 yr service life
In that 10 years, you might go through three batteries and will still be ahead dollars wise
And then there is Ohmmu's phenomenal service.
What service does one need on a battery? Either it works or it doesn't and if it doesn't, you replace it.

Now, if a better battery would help audio output, I might consider for THAT reason (and I will ask my guys). But that vast majority of people don't give a rip about that and are perfectly satisfied with the stock setup.

Last edited:
I was keen on the Ohmmu but there's no UK distributor and it sounds as if Tesla screw with it on a whim. From what I gather when this happens the fixes can often involved wholesale battery replacement with new revisions, etc, which may work for US based owners but I doubt Ohmmu will be keen to be doing this for international customers.

I also tried messaging Sean before Christmas (twice in fact) and got no response, even though previously I had received a response so was confident my messages were getting through, which didn't fill me with confidence.

In an ideal world Tesla will offer the current lithium battery as a retrofit, but I don't imagine it would be a trivial thing to replace (e.g. rumour has it other hardware, e.g. window regulator motors, etc have been adapted for it).

Is saving one half of one percent really that big of a deal?

In that 10 years, you might go through three batteries and will still be ahead dollars wise

What service does one need on a battery? Either it works or it doesn't and if it doesn't, you replace it.

Now, if a better battery would help audio output, I might consider for THAT reason (and I will ask my guys). But that vast majority of people don't give a rip about that and are perfectly satisfied with the stock setup.
Glad you got it all figured out.

I was keen on the Ohmmu but there's no UK distributor and it sounds as if Tesla screw with it on a whim. From what I gather when this happens the fixes can often involved wholesale battery replacement with new revisions, etc, which may work for US based owners but I doubt Ohmmu will be keen to be doing this for international customers.

I also tried messaging Sean before Christmas (twice in fact) and got no response, even though previously I had received a response so was confident my messages were getting through, which didn't fill me with confidence.

In an ideal world Tesla will offer the current lithium battery as a retrofit, but I don't imagine it would be a trivial thing to replace (e.g. rumour has it other hardware, e.g. window regulator motors, etc have been adapted for it).
I recall reading that the only thing that needed changing is either the wiper motor, or the wiper pump.....

Automotive grade stuff is specified for an absurdly large voltage range.

I would not be surprised if Tesla offers a Lithium 12V retrofit in the next year......

Reactions: Durzel
Can you explain how there is less phantom drain with a lithium battery?
Lithium iron phosphate actually holds its charge level and shows less loss of charge simply sitting there. In that sense it requires fewer boostings from the DC DC contacter system that recharges the battery. The stock OEM battery is not terrible in that regard but I show about one half as much Phantom drain as my wife's car. It's tough to gauge precisely because every time you use the app you wake the car up and of course that contributes to Phantom drain.

It's not that I have it figured out, I still haven't seen a compelling reason to make the investment for myself.

I spent a lot of money on my sound system and I will bet 99% of folks think I wasted my money.
Glad that you put in those last two words open quotes for myself close quotes. Because the prior post made it sound as though you were talking about what was best for everybody.

Lithium iron phosphate actually holds its charge level and shows less loss of charge simply sitting there. In that sense it requires fewer boostings from the DC DC contacter system that recharges the battery. The stock OEM battery is not terrible in that regard but I show about one half as much Phantom drain as my wife's car. It's tough to gauge precisely because every time you use the app you wake the car up and of course that contributes to Phantom drain.

Lead acid batteries have self-discharge of approximately 4% per week. 45AH = approximately 500wh. Self discharge of 20wh/week, 0.08kw/month, or 1Kw/year.

Sentry mode is 200ish watts. You waste more power every time Sentry flashes the lights at someone walking by.....