Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2019 Standard Range Plus in Canada [Is my car battery working properly?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model 3 range standard range plus in Canada.
It came with a 50 KWH battery capacity. I live in an apartment and have to park my car in the garage.
If I charge to 85% - 90% i.e., around 40-45 KWH, I get a range of 125 miles of driving and then I will have to charge again. This is in the summertime, when it is winter I get a lesser range than 125 miles as I have to use the heater. I don't use dog mode or any other battery-consuming functions like A/C. Tesla rated the range as 240 miles, now within 4 years I get a maximum of 227 miles and I have lost the 13-mile range.

Is the way my car functions normal? I have disabled sentry mode and other options which keeps the car waking up while parked. I checked with Tesla they said it is normal and no problem when diagnostics run.

If I buy Model Y long range which has 330 miles range will I get half of it in the real world like 160 miles?

Please advise. Does anyone know if the Tesla Model 3 long range coming back to Canada?

If you’re getting 55% of rated range with your SR+ in the summer, I would expect similar results for a new Y… 55% of 330 rated miles would be 181.5 miles of real-world range based on your driving history. The Y should do better than your current car in winter due to the heat pump.

While it doesn’t sound like anything is wrong with your car, there is probably room for improvement in your driving efficiency. Minimize climate control use, drive the speed limit, and don’t precondition the cabin/battery prior to departure unless the car is plugged in.

I have model 3 range standard range plus in Canada.
It came with a 50 KWH battery capacity. I live in an apartment and have to park my car in the garage.
If I charge to 85% - 90% i.e., around 40-45 KWH, I get a range of 125 miles of driving and then I will have to charge again. This is in the summertime, when it is winter I get a lesser range than 125 miles as I have to use the heater. I don't use dog mode or any other battery-consuming functions like A/C. Tesla rated the range as 240 miles, now within 4 years I get a maximum of 227 miles and I have lost the 13-mile range.

You think 227 miles is bad?

My 2019 SR+ shows 202 miles at 100%.

Hope that makes you feel better.

240 miles would be the most optimistic estimation of range; city driving during a nice spring day (no A/C, no heater, no bad weather, mild temperatures). That you now have 227 miles at 100% means that your car's battery lost just a bit over 5% - not too bad in my estimation. My own 2018 LR RWD has lost about the same 5% (315 when new, 300 now). And I've been using fairly slow DC charging in the last 3.5 years; a CHAdeMO adapter which provides about 40-45kW max or an occasional Supercharger. No Level 2 charging at all.

In real world driving I believe I'm getting around 230-240 actual miles on flat highways in good California weather. I don't have any experience in cold Canadian weather but I don't see you getting 50%. Maybe 70-75%. Hopefully some Canadian members here can give you a better idea.

Is the way my car functions normal?

Yes, I see nothing at all abnormal in the slightest with anything that you posted. There are several (probably several hundred) posts on battery health here, with the same general feedback. There is nothing wrong with your car, and if you buy another tesla and drive it the same, you will likely get similar results. Your mileage lost over the past 4 years is quite good actually.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So for Non-tesla cars is the range similar like the range is 300 miles but actually day to day you end up recharging after every 150 miles? From all the feedback I understand we have to take the range numbers with a pinch of salt. If a new car range is 400 miles in the real world you can expect around 250 - 300 miles (if one is living in a colder climate like in Canada).

So for Non-tesla cars is the range similar like the range is 300 miles but actually day to day you end up recharging after every 150 miles? From all the feedback I understand we have to take the range numbers with a pinch of salt. If a new car range is 400 miles in the real world you can expect around 250 - 300 miles (if one is living in a colder climate like in Canada).

If you drove your entire range out every day, you would get closer to (but not all the way to) your rated range. You should have answers to your energy usage in your energy app in the car, since they added that to know where your energy is going.

Now, I am going to say something that may be a bit unpopular to some, but it is what it is. The EV lifestyle is really predicated around charging where you park long periods of time (either work or home). If you cant charge at work or home, you have to really want to drive an EV for something other than convenience, and I personally would never (ever) recommend that someone without charging where they work or live buy a pure Battery electric vehicle (BEV).

People do, but I think its a mistake, personally, for this EXACT reason that you are laying out. Charging is always going to be more than you think it is, and it turns an advantage (charging where you work / sleep) into a disadvantage (having to plan driving around charging stops on a permanent basis).

For more than this, I suggest moving your discussion over to one of the many multiple dozen existing threads on battery health, charging, etc. Here are just a couple:

Is it possible to upgrade the battery to a long-range battery (82 KWh) on a 2019 SR+ model 3 which has a 50 KWh battery?

Tesla Canada says it cannot. Is it possible to get the upgrade in the US? or are there any aftermarket battery replacements available?
Has anyone got an upgrade in battery in Canada on model 3?

Is it possible to upgrade the battery to a long-range battery (82 KWh) on a 2019 SR+ model 3 which has a 50 KWh battery?

Tesla Canada says it cannot. Is it possible to get the upgrade in the US? or are there any aftermarket battery replacements available?
Has anyone got an upgrade in battery in Canada on model 3?

The only way to do this in any way which makes sense at all is to sell your car and buy another one.

Reactions: 804son