Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 acceleration from a roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok everyone I’m scheduled for a test drive this Saturday. I was wondering how does tesla respond to passing on a highway at 65-70mph. I know they have great off the line acceleration but does it stop their or are they still potent from a roll. Yes, I’m still on the fence for a model 3 performance or a used p85d.

ok everyone I’m scheduled for a test drive this Saturday. I was wondering how does tesla respond to passing on a highway at 65-70mph. I know they have great off the line acceleration but does it stop their or are they still potent from a roll. Yes, I’m still on the fence for a model 3 performance or a used p85d.

with the single speed transmission they're definitely not "as" punchy when hitting it from 70 as from 0, but they're still not going to feel especially slow compared to most cars since you still don't have to wait on a downshift like an ICE vehicle.

(this is why EVs really embarrass ICE cars when you look at the common car mag passing numbers like 30-50, 50-70, 30-70.... where even the non-P AWD Model 3 is beating most cars that cost 2-3 times as much)

A car that can do a quarter mile in the mid 11 seconds at 113 mph is going to have good passing acceleration at 65-70 mph. There is no other way to complete a quarter mile that quickly. This isn't theoretical, I've confirmed it. A safe pass at those speeds will likely require you to back off full throttle around the time you are abreast of the vehicle you are passing. Unless you want to complete the pass pushing 100 mph.:cool:

By far, the biggest asset of a P3D in a passing manuever on a road with limited sight distance isn't the power, it's the immediate throttle response, the jump you get by not having to wait for (or perform) a downshift of two gears cannot be overstated.

Reactions: Arpe

You should not be concerned with a Model 3 Performance's ability to accelerate from 65-70mph. It's nearly instantaneous, and as other's have explained, you'll easily hit 90 mph with little fuss.

Please report back after your test drive. :D

Reactions: StealthP3D
A car that can do a quarter mile in the mid 11 seconds at 113 mph is going to have good passing acceleration at 65-70 mph. There is no other way to complete a quarter mile that quickly. This isn't theoretical, I've confirmed it. A safe pass at those speeds will likely require you to back off full throttle around the time you are abreast of the vehicle you are passing. Unless you want to complete the pass pushing 100 mph.:cool:

By far, the biggest asset of a P3D in a passing manuever on a road with limited sight distance isn't the power, it's the immediate throttle response, the jump you get by not having to wait for (or perform) a downshift of two gears cannot be overstated.

I agree with 90% of what you said here, but one thing you said I think bears looking at. When you say: "A car that can do a quarter mile in the mid 11 seconds at 113 mph is going to have good passing acceleration at 65-70 mph. There is no other way to complete a quarter mile that quickly. " you're overlooking HOW that car runs an 11 second quarter mile.

Road and Track tested their M3P as follows:
0-60 - 3.3
0-100 8.6
1/4 Mile - 11.8 @ 113.7

In their test of the Alfa Guilia QF, the M3, and C63 S, the C63 S ran:

0-60 - 3.8
0-100 - 8.4
1/4 Mile - 11.9 @ 121.2

Looking at the numbers, you can see that the Model 3 performance is all about the 0-60 time. It's ahead by half a second 0-60, which is to be expected given that it's AWD vs. RWD and also has the most advantageous torque "curve" for hard launches. It gets pipped by a bit 0-100 and the quarter mile is neck and neck, but look at the trap speed. The Benz is a whopping 8 MPH faster despite being a tenth slower. That indicates that the Model 3 is slowing it's rate of acceleration while the Benz is still in the fat part of its power band.

I say this because the 60-100 type of passing time will be affected by this. And that means that while the Model 3 is going to be quick through the quarter, it's advantage is on the lower speeds. That doesn't necessarily guarantee fast passing times.

Despite all of this, though, you are absolutely correct in that the immediate throttle response due to lack of gears and still being in the motor's power band means lightning fast passes in the Model 3's. Definitely one of the best parts of the car. But I just wanted to bring up the above because even though your end statement was correct, the "no other way" part isn't quite as accurate. ;)

That doesn't necessarily guarantee fast passing times.

"Fast" passing times is a relative term. What is fast? I didn't say no other car can beat it in a 60-80 contest, I said it was going to have more than adequate passing times. And that's putting it mildly. Show me one car that can do a mid 11 second 1/4 mile that doesn't have relatively fast (relative to all cars) passing times. There isn't one. So while the P3D is "Blow your socks off" quick from 0-60 mph, it still has above average passing speeds.

A car that could do 0-60 in 1 second but then struggle to reach 80 mph is unrealistic.

The thing is in the 1/4 mile example the ICE cars are only every shifting up, one gear, to stay in the power band.

While in a floor-it-at-70 situation they'd need to down-shift, likely anywhere from 2-4 gears, to get into the power band... which takes an eternity in comparison when you're timing in seconds (and it's even more of a glaring gap if the ICE car is a manual where a slow human has to do the work instead of a fast computer)

that said- yeah, the P is mostly about 0-60... best example of this is looking at the P vs the AWD of the same car... the P is 1 full second quicker to 60 (even if Tesla wants to lie and claim 1.2)... now look at the 1/4 mile times.... they're still just about exactly that same 1 full second apart despite now both being up over 110 mph. So the P is barely any quicker than the AWD from 60 up to 112-113.

Reactions: wenkan and Magnets!
...Despite all of this, though, you are absolutely correct in that the immediate throttle response due to lack of gears and still being in the motor's power band means lightning fast passes in the Model 3...

Yep, and to put it another way, a Model 3P driver has nothing to worry about from any of the aforementioned competitors up to about 115-120 mph, particularly with the traction and repeatability of AWD. :)

I've posted this before, but seems relevant here... passing up "to" highway speeds (usually shown by car mags as 30-50, 50-70, or sometimes 30-70) is where the 3 puts up supercar numbers...

For example the AWD model 3 (NON P) does 30-50 in 1.5 seconds, 50-70 in 2.06 seconds, so 30-70 in 3.56 seconds (this is from draggy #s posted here by owners, possibly on a track like R&T does testing for the other #s I'm using it'd be even better)

For contrast a Nissan GT-R (2015) does 30-50 in 3.8 seconds. Slower than it takes the AWD 3 to go 30-70.

A Porsche 911 Turbo S does 50-70 in 2.5 seconds, over 20% slower than an AWD Model 3.

A ZR-1 corvette takes 1.9 seconds 30-50 and 2.3 seconds 50-70, both slower than the AWD

A McLaren 570S, a nearly 200k sports car, takes 2.7 seconds 50-70.

A Porsche GT2 RS, a 350k car, takes 2 seconds to go 30-50, way slower than an AWD 3. Finally at 50-70 it beats, barely, the AWD 3 at 2.0 seconds.

The 3P BTW does 30-50 in 1.2, and 50-70 in 1.7 (and 30-70 in 2.9) spanking even the $350,000 Porsche. (and the LR RWD is 1.9 and 2.8 respectively- no slouch, but lack of the 2nd motor is showing- ditto on trap speeds in the 1/4 where the AWD and P are very close and the RWD is way behind)

Now, the AWD doesn't beat all those cars 0-60 (not even the P beats all of em there), but it beats them all in passing acceleration at these speeds because it doesn't have to down shift.

Eventually the lack of gearing is starting to hurt a bit compared to the ICE cars-(this is why the 2nd gen roadster will have a 2 speed transmission) and only the lack of need to down shift is making up for it...but this isn't really a concern at anything resembling legal speeds.

I've posted this before, but seems relevant here... passing up "to" highway speeds (usually shown by car mags as 30-50, 50-70, or sometimes 30-70) is where the 3 puts up supercar numbers...

For example the AWD model 3 (NON P) does 30-50 in 1.5 seconds, 50-70 in 2.06 seconds, so 30-70 in 3.56 seconds (this is from draggy #s posted here by owners, possibly on a track like R&T does testing for the other #s I'm using it'd be even better)

For contrast a Nissan GT-R (2015) does 30-50 in 3.8 seconds. Slower than it takes the AWD 3 to go 30-70.

A Porsche 911 Turbo S does 50-70 in 2.5 seconds, over 20% slower than an AWD Model 3.

A ZR-1 corvette takes 1.9 seconds 30-50 and 2.3 seconds 50-70, both slower than the AWD

A McLaren 570S, a nearly 200k sports car, takes 2.7 seconds 50-70.

A Porsche GT2 RS, a 350k car, takes 2 seconds to go 30-50, way slower than an AWD 3. Finally at 50-70 it beats, barely, the AWD 3 at 2.0 seconds.

The 3P BTW does 30-50 in 1.2, and 50-70 in 1.7 (and 30-70 in 2.9) spanking even the $350,000 Porsche. (and the LR RWD is 1.9 and 2.8 respectively- no slouch, but lack of the 2nd motor is showing- ditto on trap speeds in the 1/4 where the AWD and P are very close and the RWD is way behind)

Now, the AWD doesn't beat all those cars 0-60 (not even the P beats all of em there), but it beats them all in passing acceleration at these speeds because it doesn't have to down shift.

Eventually the lack of gearing is starting to hurt a bit compared to the ICE cars-(this is why the 2nd gen roadster will have a 2 speed transmission) and only the lack of need to down shift is making up for it...but this isn't really a concern at anything resembling legal speeds.

Thanks for posting these. I was looking for a site that had passing acceleration times.

The car is definitely quick in transition. I liken it to a watermelon seed getting spit from between your fingers.

You should not be concerned with a Model 3 Performance's ability to accelerate from 65-70mph. It's nearly instantaneous, and as other's have explained, you'll easily hit 90 mph with little fuss.

Please report back after your test drive. :D

Had my test driver earlier today, still impressed with the car overall. not sure if it was me but the steering felt a little bit heavy. it had great feedback but I would have liked it to be a little lighter feeling.

not having a display was probably what I don't like about the car the most. like why not offer a hud for those of us that have a hard time adjusting to the one screen. the whole test drive I caught myself searching to find out how fast i was going. I can see myself searching for the screen only for someone to cut me off/ brake check me and then I'd rear end them. that's my biggest gripe with the car. but everybody is different, i'm sure a longer test drive would fix that

everything else was amazing, the throttle response was wicked. the regen braking was nice, not sure what the setting was as the salesman was touching the screen the whole time. I myself was getting anxiety with all the other idiots driving around me, it's not everyday I drive a $70k dollar vehicle.

I will say to everyone, watch out for autopilot next to concrete walls. I had my right hand resting on the lower part of the steering wheel and i felt the car pull to the divider. now, I wouldn't blame the car 100% as there was some snow on the ground, but just be a bit careful when in that situation.

The fit and finish of the car I test drove was pretty damn good, I didn't notice any panel gaps,cracks in the glass or seat/stitching issues. so that's always a good thing

My overall experience was a good one, I do realise you will never have the perfect car but for me It's pretty damn close. the worst part of the test drive is looking at the window sticker and realizing you are about to pay more than you've ever paid for a car. but then again, the experience in itself is like none other.