Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Affordability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep finding articles online that say you shouldn't spend more than 20% of your monthly income on car expenses. With this rule, I am far from being able to afford a Model 3. But the thing is is that I can pay off the estimated loan, insurance, and electricity costs only 6 days into the month. I live with my parents, and don't spend money on things I don't need. And even if I lived elsewhere, I would still have plenty of money left over each month.

Another thing, a ~$20,000 Honda Civic would cost me $250 less per month than a Model 3 (including insurance / gas). Taking the $3,750 tax credit into account, I would save $750 going with a Model 3 over a Civic over the first year of ownership, which is wild to think about.

I also cannot get approved for a loan, and I dont understand why. The loan payment would be hypothetically paid off within 4 days of the month.

Am I just an idiot thinking that a Model 3 is easily affordable for me?

Reactions: Mr X
Your lender will explain to you the reason your are not getting the loan. Perhaps you could get one if you put more money down etc.

The 20% rule is designed for a person living independantly. Someone who has additional living expenses.

If you are a guy, under 25 years old, your insurance payments can also be larger than expected.

Good luck with your Tesla quest...you will find a way...

FICO Age Income.
Age is relative. If this is your first loan you may need a cosigner.

On My first major investment car I did. Paid it off in 36 months and it was the foundation of future car loans, Mortgages, and leases.

I keep finding articles online that say you shouldn't spend more than 20% of your monthly income on car expenses. With this rule, I am far from being able to afford a Model 3. But the thing is is that I can pay off the estimated loan, insurance, and electricity costs only 6 days into the month. I live with my parents, and don't spend money on things I don't need. And even if I lived elsewhere, I would still have plenty of money left over each month.

Another thing, a ~$20,000 Honda Civic would cost me $250 less per month than a Model 3 (including insurance / gas). Taking the $3,750 tax credit into account, I would save $750 going with a Model 3 over a Civic over the first year of ownership, which is wild to think about.

I also cannot get approved for a loan, and I dont understand why. The loan payment would be hypothetically paid off within 4 days of the month.

Patient grasshopper, in a few years when you are in better financial position, Tesla will be even better.

A base SR model 3 is a very very affordable car when viewing from a total cost of ownership. It is probably about the same as a brand new civic over 10 years (assuming $3750 tax credit). After 10, it becomes cheaper than a civic. Also, there are an obvious million reasons a 3 is just flat out better than a civic.

If you cannot afford the 3 at the moment, DO NOT buy a NEW gas car, buy a used gas car, save like a madman, then buy a new electric car when the time is right.

Agreed with above though, ask your parents to co-sign and you shouldn't have a problem getting a loan if you can truly afford it.

Hell No! 20% is what you spend on a house. Cars should be significantly less.
A car should NEVER be a stretch purchase.
Many people can't afford a Tesla, don't force it.

A Honda at $250 less is $3000 a year. Invest wisely so that you may some day be able to afford one

Reactions: OCR1
When you're young, its tempting to stretch for a car - but its foolish. Would a Smart car work for you, if you want an electric car?

Otherwise, a base model, used pick up is one of the cheapest vehicles, with very little in depreciation - and it will always be useful. (I wouldn't own a Tesla as my only vehicle, but its well complemented by my half-ton 6 cylinder pick up.)

You mention that you live with your parents, and can pay the loan and insurance with 6 days of income if you were to get a loan. One mistake you are likely making is, do you actually intend to live with your parents for the entire time you will have a loan on that car? My bet is "no"... although the younger generations are staying at home in general longer than older generations did.

Thats actually smart... mooch off your parents as long as you can, and save money. There could be a few reasons you couldnt get the loan, but given that you live at home and "dont spend money on things you dont need" its likely you have little to zero credit. Having no credit is pretty much as bad as having bad credit, when it comes to larger purchases.

Thats one reason I got my son a credit card at 18 (helped him get a secured credit card with his own money, with a 500 deposit and a 250 limit) and showed him how credit works from a monthly payment standpoint etc. After a year, at 19, he got an unsecured credit card and did what I mentioned, which is USE the card but pay off the balance every month (thus avoiding interest charges).

Anyway, if you have no credit, you are going to need someone to co sign, OR put down a large down payment. Thats the other path forward. If you put down 30% on the car, you could likely get the loan.. but the interest rate may not be favorable. Your BEST bet would be to finance a used car, maybe something with a 10k or less price, and pay that off in a couple of years or less. If you do that, you will likely be able to get a new car on your own at the end of that, provided you dont have any late payments.

Since you live at home, sit down and talk to your parents about credit (making an assumption here that your parents might have more experience with credit than you do, which may or may not be the case). Its much better for you to buy that cheaper used car on your own, than ask your parents to co sign for an "expensive" car. Many people dont understand what co-signing actually is (the co signer is promising to pay if you cant). Unless the co signer can absolutely afford to pay for the item 100% on their own in addition to their regular expenses, they should not consider co signing for anyone... even family.

I didnt get my first "new from the dealer" car until I was in my late 20s. If I was in your shoes, I would stay at home, save money longer, and if I really wanted that tesla, I would budget to put at least 30% down on it, and save till I could do that.

Based on the percentages above I estimate a yearly income of between $25k and $35k. You sure you actually have $3750 in Federal Income Tax to deduct from? I don't believe you can deduct it from FICA (but I might be wrong).

Don’t do it man. I made that mistake as a youth and it’s not worth it. The new car shine will wear off. I ended up going to undergrad and grad school with a car loan that I used my other student loans to pay off which was truly idiotic. Concentrate on your future, get more education and the good things will come. Wait till your career progresses and you can truly afford it.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
If a bank in 2019 considers you to be “too risky” that is saying a lot. Banks these days have relaxed their criteria a lot and will find some way to make a loan work. The universe is telling you to stop and think. Save up your money for something more productive than a brand new luxury car in your 20s. If you wait a couple of years, the first used model 3s will hit the market and will likely cost only 60% as much, and will hit your wallet a lot less. Also, look at some of the other brands in the interim - an i3 off lease will only cost you 18-20k and it is just as exhilarating as a model 3. It was my first EV a couple of years ago and I probably earn 10 times what you do.